MRAD vs MOA. Which one?

I go with moa mainly because it's easier for me to measure targets (rack width) without having to convert CM to in in my head. If I wasn't interested in measuring things, or if thinking in metric had an advantage for a situation I'd use mils/mrad
Why would you need to convert to cm?

Get one of each, MOA is tighter more fine tuned adjustments than Mrad. The clicks I mean, on a typical scope. What you don't want to do is mix MOA adjust with Mrad reticle...as I understand it. I use both types, learn both, it's pretty easy once you use them both...its the dang wind...

I go with moa mainly because it's easier for me to measure targets (rack width) without having to convert CM to in in my head. If I wasn't interested in measuring things, or if thinking in metric had an advantage for a situation I'd use mils/mrad. There also seem to be more options there than in moa
Dont confuse mils with metric. Mil is just a short term for milliradian or milradian, or MRAD. .001 radians. (one thou of one radian) which is an SI measurement. Where in degrees we measure a circle at 360 units. In milradians the measurement is a relationship to the radius length along the circle. There are 2 X 3.14 angular radians in a circle. (6.28 total) The length around the circle is 2 X 3.14 X the radius length. (2 Pi R) This could be in inches, feet, yards, CM, MM etc. But if you measure radius in ft or yards then your resulting shift based on the angle in radians is in english measure, not metric.

I don't, I would need to convert from CM.

Depending where I hunt, one of the qualifiers for a legal bull moose is rack width. Sometimes it's 40" sometimes its 50" sometimes its 48" etc

you are aware there is an "inch" mil relation formula, right?

milirarians are not metric and actually predate the metric system.

So what exactly is BS about what I said? Be specific.

it was literally said that MRad costs more because it's usually in FFP. They come both ways. Nobody was discussing FFP vs SFP but you. Sorry about your luck.
What I said and continue to say, pay attention I'll explain it more, is that is MRAD is associated with FFP due to tactical shooting and generally purchase desires. Most people buy scopes in MIL and FFP, not MIL and SFP, therefore the consensus is that MIL based scopes are more.....it is because of the FFP not the unit of measure. So incorrectly people associate MIL as more expensive. That is was and is the point.

What I said and continue to say, pay attention I'll explain it more, is that is MRAD is associated with FFP due to tactical shooting and generally purchase desires. Most people buy scopes in MIL and FFP, not MIL and SFP, therefore the consensus is that MIL based scopes are more.....it is because of the FFP not the unit of measure. So incorrectly people associate MIL as more expensive. That is was and is the point.

Except I provided multiple examples of SFP mil scopes that are the same price as MOA.

FFP MOA scopes are also more.

FFP is irrelevant to the two.

I cannot be held responsible for others false interpretations. It was irrelevant and shouldn't have been brought up. If anything you almost want to reinforce my point ;)

Well this is getting kind of out of hand. Any recommendations for scopes in the $700 range? And that's a pretty hard limit. I had to beg and plead to get the fiancée to agree to $700. So I can't really go higher

The Viper PST Gen 1 can be had for $650 ish in 4-16x flavor. Sometimes less.

Touché. But as for my original post, would you be willing the sacrifice the extra distance per revolution of the turret to go MOA? I'm just trying to get opinions
Number of revolutions as i see it has nothing to do with MOA, MIL, or MRAD more of function of tube diameter and or turret thread finenes?

Number of revolutions as i see it has nothing to do with MOA, MIL, or MRAD more of function of tube diameter and or turret thread finenes?
Agree 100% !! Most scopes that have a 25 MOA turret, will have a MIL variant that is somewhere between 8 and 10 MIL per rev. Basically they will both dial up 25 ish - 36 ish inches at 100 yards with one rev give or take. In the case of the viper PST G2 it is 25 MOA, or 10 MIL so the MIL scope will dial a bit higher with one revolution, but I wouldnt say that is going to be standard in every case.

Last edited:
Interesting discussion. Wihtout intending to, I bought a really nice Vortex scope with MOA turrets and MIL reticle. I only use it for long range target shooting so I can take my time to figure out any adustments. My other sscope have matching turrets and reticles, and they are SOOOO much easier.

For $700, SWFA SS 3-15 FFP is the best value for a FFP scope. Rock solid, light, repeatable, easy to use reticle, decent glass. Good enough to shoot 2-3moa targets 1200yards.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.