MRAD Elevation issue

bggunnz

Hey guys and Gals,
LR newbie here...

My vortex viper 24X50 PST is MRAD and with my 150gr 300 win mag, I have about an 8 inch drop at 300 yards. I am trying to figure out how many clicks on my elevation turret to compensate for the bullet drop. Let's say that there is no wind at the time......

I found a formula somewhere but it didn't look like it would work..

Any help would be appreciated..

1 mil is 3.6" at 100 yards so at 300 it would be 10.8". Divide the 8" by 10.8 and you get .74 mil. Since 1 click is .10 mil you need to come up 7 clicks.
THANK YOU!!!! I will try that out next time at the range......

This is the other formula I found but it did not seem correct..

Mils = (1 yard * 1,000) / 428 yards = 2.3 mils.

If your scope is measured in 1/10th mil clicks, that's 23 clicks in upward elevation adjustment. Make sense?

Do yourself a favor, spend 10 bucks and buy shooter. There is no reason to do inch/mil conversions it only complicates things. Run it over a accurate chrono, input your information correctly into shooter (double check every number you input) and your off to the races.

Whatever your distance is in yards. Put a decimal in there.

( 248 yards = 2.48)
(642 yards=6.42)

300 yards=3.0… multiply this X .36

This gives you your click value in inches at any given distance. 3.0X.36"=1.08" at 300

Let's say your looking at 3,642 yards

36.42X.36"=13.1112" per click

Easy peasy

( 248 yards = 2.48)
(642 yards=6.42)

This gives you your click value in inches at any given distance. 3.0X.36"=1.08" at 300

Easy peasy
Thank you brother

Don't forget, your reticle is/should be in mils. You can also spot your impacts based off your reticle and dial accordingly. Make sure you know if you pst is SFP or FFP as that will make a difference on how you read your reticle and what power you need to be on if using SFP.

Don't forget, your reticle is/should be in mils. You can also spot your impacts based off your reticle and dial accordingly. Make sure you know if you pst is SFP or FFP as that will make a difference on how you read your reticle and what power you need to be on if using SFP.
It is FFP

( 248 yards = 2.48)
(642 yards=6.42)

This gives you your click value in inches at any given distance. 3.0X.36"=1.08" at 300 ---->>>>> So this would be 10 upward clicks, correct?

Easy peasy

It is FFP
Ok, then your reticle subtensions should be accurate no matter what power setting. If you see your impacts are 1.0 mil low on the reticle then dial up 1.0 mil or 10 clicks.

In your case above if you hold cente on your point of aim at 300 yards, your impacts should correlate with about .7-.8 mil low on your reticle.

Does that make sense?

Ok, then your reticle subtensions should be accurate no matter what power setting. If you see your impacts are 1.0 mil low on the reticle then dial up 1.0 mil or 10 clicks.

In your case above if you hold cente on your point of aim at 300 yards, your impacts should correlate with about .7-.8 mil low on your reticle.

Does that make sense?
Yes it is all making more sense and I am going to test it out this weekend.

Here is my 300 Win Mag...

Hey guys and Gals,
LR newbie here...

My vortex viper 24X50 PST is MRAD and with my 150gr 300 win mag, I have about an 8 inch drop at 300 yards. I am trying to figure out how many clicks on my elevation turret to compensate for the bullet drop. Let's say that there is no wind at the time......

To answer your question, buy a ballistics app for your phone and it will answer all your questions. I like Strelok which is free or the more capable Strelok Pro app for a few dollars. Many like the Applied Ballistics app also. There are many programs out there so take your pick.

Hey guys and Gals,
LR newbie here...

Like someone else stated, I think you'll be pretty happy buying a ballistic app. It's not a bad exercise to get to learn the math a little but there are several good apps out there that can make shooting more fun. I use Applied Ballistics and love it. Think I spent $30 on that when I got it but it's probably the most often used app I have. If you're getting into lr shooting I'd bet that you'll buy something down the road anyway.