MPI stocks

cohunt

Question--

I was trying to find out any specific details about the lightweight options that MPI stocks offers

they show std wt is 24-28 oz--blank stock $370
lightweight is 16-20 oz --add $100
extra light weight is 13-16 oxz--add $150
microlight is 9oz--add $200

I have tried numerous times to contact them via e-mail using teir e-mail address on their website and I don't get a response--I have not tried calling them yet as I am in no hurry, just wanted to see what the deal with the ultrahigh stocks was

So anyone have one of the extralight or ultralight stocks from MPI???

are there things I should be aware of like "what caliber can I put one on", are they weaker in certain areas that I should be aware of? why doesn't anyone else sell 9 ounce stocks?

they intrigue me but I am wary--any info on them?

I also saw the wildcat stocks are around 23 ounces and their ultralight weigh in at 17 ounces

I am looking to possibly replace my "Tupperware" stock on my 700 mountain rifle--I have the first year (blind mag) with the SS mountain barrel profile-- the stock in kind of heavy and when it gets warm it gets a little "bendy" --- Remington changed to the B&C stock in following years

I guess I could just buy the B&C mountain lightweight adl stock for $270 it comes in at 29 oz and then bed the action--I was just looking for other options

Yes Doc passed in a surfing accident I believe..they do make a nice mountain rifle stock--but you will need to finish yourself--the two I have gotten from them required a lot of work filling to make right.

Ed

I have been using one of their ultra lite mountain stocks for years and like it a lot. They are still in business. I have a rifle there now that will be shipped as soon as my payment arrives there. I send my barreled action to them and they bed it and finish it. They are also doing the metal finish.

I bought a loghtweight from mpi last year, its a nice stock but it took a lot of work fitting and finishing. It weighs around 18 oz after bedding. For the money and all the work needed I wouldnt recommend them, also it was very very hard to contact the owner and my stock took way longer to complete than I was originally told.
I would look into Pendleton Stocks, they do a custom fit ultralight for around $600

I have one of their lightweight stocks on a long action (25-06). it is 20 oz with bedding. It is very stiff, fit and finish is excellent, and shoots well. It was made the last year that Doc was still around.

MPI unfinished stocks always get a bad rap as they are a little more unfinished than people expect. For best results from MPI you need to send them the barreled action and let them to the final fitting and bedding, as was mentioned above. Then you get a excellent product. Turnaround time for me was a 4~5 weeks, but I live close enough that I hand delivered and picked up.

I have always called them. Not answering email is not a good sign though.

I have both a wildcat ultralight and an MPI. The wildcat is a couple oz lighter and as others have noted, a better fit.

Haven't heard of the micro lite, but the only reason I would use MPI in the future would be for for a BLR or some model wildcat doesn't have a mold for.

Sorry to hear of Doc's passing.

I know three people including myself that have been trying to contact them for 2+ months with no luck. Both emails and phone calls. One guy most likely buys more stocks from them in a year than anyone else too.

its interesting to see what people call "ultra-light" --christensen arms sells the one that comes on their ti lightweight rifle and it is still 34 ounces and $900+

Last edited:
a 9 ounce stock seems really light so I wanted to find out more details on it as it would make for a really light rifle
I remember asking Lisa from MPI about that ultralight, from what I remember that 9 oz claim is the blank only without a recoil pad, and a super short for end. Final weight was closer to 16 oz.
Also It didn't have any wood supports and if I remember correctly was not recommended for magnums.
Call to verify but good luck with that..

I have one of their ultra light weight stocks on my 30-28 Nosler.
I picked them because they could customize the lengths for me and not take 6 months like other manufactures needed and I really liked the stock.
I ended up spending a crazy amount of money to get it finished properly. I will never use their stocks again.
In places the fill they used around the action was so bad you could just dig it out with a finger nail. We ended up taking it all out and using a better glass.
When it came time to sand and prep for hydro dip it turned into more $$$ trouble. the stock had so much air pockets in it that every time they tried to sand it would open up more air pockets that needed filled back in in order to prime it for hydro dip.

Never again!!

Here's a pic of the only stock I have ever gotten from them. It's carbon fiber and kevlar. Custom draw length and inlet to fit one of the bottom bolt release Savages. They did this as a one off for me as no one else was making stocks for the bottom bolt release Savages yet.
Weight is 20 oz. Green with grey and tan webbing.

IMG_20180823_113202.jpg

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.