Moving to Texas

Well, I'm from South Louisiana so.. I'd probably be one you'd approve of, and wouldn't try to change your state, promise lol. I'd only have to commute down about 4 days a month so it wouldn't be a problem for me.
That's a great state. I don't care who comes here except for Libtard's. šŸ¤ 4 days a month ain't bad at all ! I'm almost 400 mi. from Cheyenne. It's only 100 mi. from Cheyenne to Denver. Not bad. The wind always blowing in Cheyenne !
Hope you make the move !

Living in north west Austin and having some get away hunting property. Would be great. Look in the counties north west of that. Must have good water. Water is gold here.

Yeah, I'll second that! Austin is getting more like California everyday!
That's a fact. It is a liberal cesspool....literally. The mayor wants to spend $250 million to build homes for the homeless. The city bought hotels last year for almost double the asking price to house homeless. What was perfectly good for you and me to pay to stay, is not good enough for them. So thay are spending a bunch of money to make them homeless friendly. They are allowing them to bring their drugs and alcohol with them. Every overpass and bridge has homeless camps set up and maintained by the city.so taxpayers have to foot the bill to clean up and supply garbage haul off for free......while thr taxpayer has to pay for his and theirs. Welcome to insanity.....

That's a fact. It is a liberal cesspool....literally. The mayor wants to spend $250 million to build homes for the homeless. The city bought hotels last year for almost double the asking price to house homeless. What was perfectly good for you and me to pay to stay, is not good enough for them. So thay are spending a bunch of money to make them homeless friendly. They are allowing them to bring their drugs and alcohol with them. Every overpass and bridge has homeless camps set up and maintained by the city.so taxpayers have to foot the bill to clean up and supply garbage haul off for free......while thr taxpayer has to pay for his and theirs. Welcome to insanity.....
This is the other reason I couldn't deal with central TX any longer. That and there only being one interstate (I35) to get anywhere north or south. It's a constant bumper to bumper experience. Back in '05 when I moved to centex it was awesome. I could drive from san antonio to austin in about 30 mins non stop any time 7 days a week. You would see about a dozen homeless in downtown austin and I knew them all by name. By 2015 it had become an ordeal...thousands of homeless on the streets and camps everywhere. Forget doing anything that required travel on the weekends, everything was an hours long trip in bumper to bumper traffic. Then when hunting leases either disappeared or became unaffordable, it was just time to pack up and go.

Its a shame to watch all this happen in the middle of the country. I am in Oklahoma and there are a LOT of people from the left and right coast moving here to get away from the policies that are ruining them. Then they come here and bring the same principles and political beliefs that ran them off from the coast and soon we will be no better off. Look at Texas now, so many people have migrated there from leftist states, that its now almost certain that next election they will vote left for the very fist time in forever. Its sad to watch......
What should apply is leaving your blue **** behind or go back to where you came from. I know I hunt in Montana. Getting to know the people there was easy. They would ask me, are you sure you came from Mex-lifornia? You don't act that way. The biggest problem they try and change the way to what they left. Montana voted somewhere around 67% red this last election. Proud of them! If I could get my wife to move to Wyoming I would have it made.

Get your pocket book out is correct.
Not only is housing high right now will cost you a fortune to hunt. No one will let you hunt unless you pay. Even hog hunting. Farmers complain about the hogs tearing up their ground but I have never and I mean never ask a farmer to hunt on him unless it was at least $150.00 a day. Deer hunting will be a lot more. I would sale my guns and buy a boat , more public opportunities before I even thought about moving to TX. MD

Get your pocket book out is correct.
Not only is housing high right now will cost you a fortune to hunt. No one will let you hunt unless you pay. Even hog hunting. Farmers complain about the hogs tearing up their ground but I have never and I mean never ask a farmer to hunt on him unless it was at least $150.00 a day. Deer hunting will be a lot more. I would sale my guns and buy a boat , more public opportunities before I even thought about moving to TX. MD

The fishing opportunities around TX are GREAT. I do miss being 2.5 hours from the gulf. I love saltwater fishing and have gone two years w/o putting a line in saltwater. I'm just trout fishing up here which is ok but doesn't hold a candle to hooking up a bull red, big speck, or shark in the surf. I do miss that!

That irritates me also. I see homeless camps in every big city. A saw one in Denver last year that was big. All nice new tents. More crime . More drugs. More disease . All paid for by you and I . I know it's a problem and hard to answer. I want to know what they do or where they go in the winter. Saw them year round under frwy overpasses in San Diego but it rarely gets below 40 there in winter.

Another place to consider if your heart is set on Texas is Wichita Falls in far N. Texas. I lived there off and on for 10 years and at first I thought I was stuck in the isolated flat-lands of hell, but it grew on me. The people were very nice. You could raise kids there without fear. There were plenty of stores and restaurants but it still had a 'smaller town' feel to it. It has an airport (basically flies you to Dallas/Ft Worth for connecting flights, but still...) There were great places to shoot (shotgun, rifle, handgun). And the leases were somewhat affordable. A trip along Hwy 287 toward the Panhandle got you to more hunting land opportunities (hogs, deer, antelope, mule deer.) A trip south along Hwy 281 took you to the Hill Country, with more hunting opportunities. Lake Texoma wasn't too far away if you are into fishing and recreational lake activity. If you ride motorcycles, AR was a six hour ride to "good" roads.

As previously stated, Texas property taxes will hurt you. Hunting lease prices will hurt you. And the only "backpack" hunting I can think of would be in W. Texas (rugged country) and you STILL have to pay for land access. Nearly all land is privately owned. You pay to play, which is getting more true everywhere. As stated, Austin is a big "no!" for a hunter like you. It is the progressive part of California plopped right into the middle of Texas. Homeless people, traffic, and ridiculous virtue signaling laws abound there. Just say "no" and look elsewhere.

If you like trees, look at East Texas (The Piney Woods.) It borders Louisiana and there IS public land to hunt in Louisiana. Hmmm...maybe that's where you should be looking. Just some more thoughts to consider. (Did I mention you might want to look at OK, MO, or AR instead?)

Maybe not a main concern but I was curious on what percentage of which states voted most red in last election. I know that historically Wy. has always been the highest with 70 to 75%. We only have 550,00 in the whole state. Some states have dropped in percentage . A couple I noticed were Tx. and Ut..
% by State.
WY 70. NE. 58
OK. AR.65. MS. 57.5
ND. 65. MT. 57
AR. 64.5. MO. 57. IN. 57
iD. 64. KS. 56
SD. 62. UT. 55.5
AL. 62. IW 53
TN. 60. TX, 52
LS. 58.5

Something to think about are the "Robin Hood" laws related to educational funding.

I lived in Boerne (in Bexar County) from 17-20 and learned that a portion of my property taxes funded school districts in south San Antonio. I understand the need to adequately fund schools for all children, but the amount of tax dollars redirected to other areas seemed excessive. If you live in a high income area, you can be certain that a portion of your property taxes will go to others.

When I lived in New Braunfels I dated a pediatric home health care nurse. She would accompany children with specific health issues (via state funding of course) to area elementary schools. She was also hispanic and bi-lingual so she could communicate with the non-english speakign children. She would go to some elementary schools in the SA area of which NONE of the students spoke english.

That's where your property taxes were going I suppose...

Last edited:
Maybe not a main concern but I was curious on what percentage of which states voted most red in last election. I know that historically Wy. has always been the highest with 70 to 75%. We only have 550,00 in the whole state. Some states have dropped in percentage . A couple I noticed were Tx. and Ut..
% by State.
WY 70. NE. 58
OK. AR.65. MS. 57.5
ND. 65. MT. 57
AR. 64.5. MO. 57. IN. 57
iD. 64. KS. 56
SD. 62. UT. 55.5
AL. 62. IW 53
TN. 60. TX, 52
LS. 58.5
You can't really go by that. Our Legislature is about 80% red. Those guys are getting stuff done. Yes we have a RINO Gov, but he will be gone soon. Folks around here get it. The Libs are whining big time and no one is listening except non-residents. You should look at what those guys put into law this year, what is on Asa's desk, and what they are doing to change the schools. However, afraid when they get done they may have to close OUR borders!! Arkansas has really changed, for the better.