Moving to Texas

SullyJr

We are considering moving to Texas near San Antonio, Austin, Dallas or Ft Worth for the schools. I'd like to buy hunting property within an hour or so since I likely won't be able to afford it near those areas. What areas would you recommend for deer and other game? Thanks!

Thanks. I'm moving from NC (only hunted deer, hogs (in GA) and coyotes so far, so I don't know what I don't know), but my 16 yo and I are in great shape and want to spot and stalk, and backpack hunt.

Attachments

• 20191224_031042.jpg
    20191224_031042.jpg
    852.4 KB · Views: 201
I can tell you that you need to do your research on schools before you decide an area (regardless of how good or close you might be to hunting). Austin Dallas and Houston are different animals than the rest of the state and the school districts in those cities probably reflect that, I know Houston does cause that's where I'm at. I work for a school district SW of Houston and it is night and day different than HISD in a good way.

I can tell you that you need to do your research on schools before you decide an area (regardless of how good or close you might be to hunting). Austin Dallas and Houston are different animals than the rest of the state and the school districts in those cities probably reflect that, I know Houston does cause that's where I'm at. I work for a school district SW of Houston and it is night and day different than HISD in a good way.
100% agree (I figured the suburbs of the bigger cities would be the best places to start the search). Just curious what district are you in?

Hill Country is awesome. I'm NW of SA about 40 miles. Axis, Whitetail, Hogs, Turkey. Dove, Quail, etc. We even have a few antelope running around here now....freebies from local exotic game ranches. However our demographic is changing....a bunch of California and Austin coming here now. It isn't the sleepy ranching community it used to be....property prices are reflecting that. I have a good realtor I can put you in touch with who specializes in large rural properties. PM me and I will forward info.
Good luck, welcome to Texas!

What @Mrvmax said. Property taxes drove me out of the Texas Hill Country. And TX will be flipping blue in 10 yrs or less due to the influx of liberals from their failed west coast & east coast states. Very sad. Texas used to be awesome. Parts still are, but the winds of change are upon it. Consider Arkansas as an alternative perhaps? Or Missouri. Or Oklahoma. Just a thought.
I agree, Arkansas has some really nice areas and I like Southern Oklahoma, there is some cheap land (but undeveloped). I was born in Texas but I am disappointed in the way we are going and I think we will end up blue due to excessive flow of illegals (and do not try and tell me I am racist, my family came from Mexico in the 1800's to Texas).

I thought I'd be in Texas until my end, but despite Repubs in control of the state, they've done nothing to reform property taxes & people are literally forced to sell as their property taxes are higher than their mortgages were when they bought their domiciles.

Plus, the RINOs can't seem to bring themselves to pass a Constitutional Carry law. Won't matter for long as the new influx of people (legal & illegal) will be putting the Dems in charge soon enough. It saddens me. It was a truly fantastic state for many years. Many people aren't seeing the handwriting on the wall. When looking to move, OK, AR, & MO were my top 3 destinations but the job I got said "Tennessee", ha! Life is funny like that.

Amarillo is probably still affordable & there is game up that way to hunt. Good luck with your move @SullyJr . Hopefully if more people like you move in, things can be delayed from 'flipping' as soon as I'm projecting? But check those property taxes before buying a home. You might be in for some sticker shock.