Moving to Texas

If you look around San Antonio and Austin Get your pocketbook ready. I built my house for $430k in 2005 west of New Braunfels it will sell for a bit over $700k and there is no inventory. they are building toward me everyday--the houses are on a postage stamp and are $380-$450k I live in a very sought after school district, and people are flooding in from CA, NV, New Jersey, Oregon etc...and frogforaday is right my property taxes are about 11,000 a year....deer and hogs are pretty good anywhere. But if you move to a big city your accessibility will be limited. I'm a 4 th generation Texan and my family has been farming and ranching here since the 1889. The thing I can tell you about hunting, is give yourself a budget and go do what you want --deer, hogs, exotics. Land leases are getting pretty pricey and so is land.

Great perspectives and advice, NC was red until the "bathroom bill" and a ton of crazy money from outside the state (and likely outside the country) helped get a crazy elected governor. My wife (hispanic), 4 teenagers and I will definitely do our part :). Back to the original topic, warm weather and good high schools are the family priorities, enough land to set up a small range are top priorities (enough to hunt would be heaven - I'm ok having to buy land separately - ideally within 90 minutes). So I'm thinking the north or west suburbs of Austin, or east of Ft Wayne or Dallas. Thoughts?

In NC you need to be outside city limits and on at least 10 acres to shoot on your property. Does anyone know what it is in TX (I'm guessing it various by county)?

Great perspectives and advice, NC was red until the "bathroom bill" and a ton of crazy money from outside the state (and likely outside the country) helped get a crazy elected governor. My wife (hispanic), 4 teenagers and I will definitely do our part :). Back to the original topic, warm weather and good high schools are the family priorities, enough land to set up a small range are top priorities (enough to hunt would be heaven - I'm ok having to buy land separately - ideally within 90 minutes). So I'm thinking the north or west suburbs of Austin, or east of Ft Wayne or Dallas. Thoughts?

In NC you need to be outside city limits and on at least 10 acres to shoot on your property. Does anyone know what it is in TX (I'm guessing it various by county)?
It's 10 acres here in Texas also. Here lately it seams that you only need a gun to shoot. I was on a job site the week after Easter and MS-13 shot at all of us telling us to get off their turf. We were there replacing Natural Gas Lines, putting in new mains, services and meters. Upgrading our system for everyone. Keep your head on a swivel and stay alert.

Its a shame to watch all this happen in the middle of the country. I am in Oklahoma and there are a LOT of people from the left and right coast moving here to get away from the policies that are ruining them. Then they come here and bring the same principles and political beliefs that ran them off from the coast and soon we will be no better off. Look at Texas now, so many people have migrated there from leftist states, that its now almost certain that next election they will vote left for the very fist time in forever. Its sad to watch......

It's 10 acres here in Texas also. Here lately it seams that you only need a gun to shoot. I was on a job site the week after Easter and MS-13 shot at all of us telling us to get off their turf. We were there replacing Natural Gas Lines, putting in new mains, services and meters. Upgrading our system for everyone. Keep your head on a swivel and stay alert.
Yep...S. Texas is a war zone. I've had landowners tell me I couldn't bring any firearms on their land while working on oil field stuff because they think I'll shoot their deer. I always ask them to guarantee my safety or their deer's safety, but they can't do both. They all know me now and know that I'm armed to the teeth when I'm driving off the main highway (well...while on the main highway, too) and I'm not there to poach deer.

The thing I can tell you about hunting, is give yourself a budget and go do what you want --deer, hogs, exotics. Land leases are getting pretty pricey and so is land.
I was thinking the same thing. The biggest thing to me is to imparting a love of hunting and adventure to my kids (my 15yo daughter loves going). I'm so encouraging the stories posted on this forum. So grateful!!

One bad pieces of news where I grew up out west--a deputy sheriff stopped a car--in it were 1 illegal Mexican and 6 Guatemalans. They were detained--then released now I heard they kicked the Guatemalans in a neighboring town--they have no skills, do not have any ties to the community, the town is about 1800 people...a lot of strain on a community.

I was thinking the same thing. The biggest thing to me is to imparting a love of hunting and adventure to my kids (my 15yo daughter loves going). I'm so encouraging the stories posted on this forum. So grateful!!
The more West you go from San Antonio the cheaper the land look at Juntion Senora Ozona my ranch is inbetween Ozona and Iraan edge of the Edwards plateau land is still around 1000.00 a acre check out the Hersy - Deer canyon and High Lonesome the only thing changing here is the Dang wind Turbines everywhere used to walk outside and enjoy the beatiful night skies now you see more flashing red lights than stars what a joke but Welcome too Texas

Austin, Dallas, and Houston are the most liberal parts of the state, in that order. Austin is basically run by the liberals at UT.

Good and bad schools are everywhere. If you are looking for a metropolitan area, then look around San Antonio and Ft Worth.

The panhandle is noted for the tornado season, but again, they occur everywhere.

Boerne is being eaten by the rich with good sized property taxes.

I would look in the central part of the state, say from Fredericksburg to Waco. BUT due to the HGTV show that features "Fixer Up", property taxes in Waco are skyrocketing.

That's my $0.02. Good luck in your quest. Lots to chose from and look at.

If you look around San Antonio and Austin Get your pocketbook ready. I built my house for $430k in 2005 west of New Braunfels it will sell for a bit over $700k and there is no inventory. they are building toward me everyday--the houses are on a postage stamp and are $380-$450k I live in a very sought after school district, and people are flooding in from CA, NV, New Jersey, Oregon etc...and frogforaday is right my property taxes are about 11,000 a year....deer and hogs are pretty good anywhere. But if you move to a big city your accessibility will be limited. I'm a 4 th generation Texan and my family has been farming and ranching here since the 1889. The thing I can tell you about hunting, is give yourself a budget and go do what you want --deer, hogs, exotics. Land leases are getting pretty pricey and so is land.

Public service announcement for those thinking about greener pastures in Alaska.

Property taxes to pay for those sought after public indoctrination camps are getting ridicules. Fairbanks school district spends over $17,000 per year per student.

I unfortunatly live close enough to town to be in the Fairbanks North Star Borough. My place is valued at half what yours is and my taxes are $7500 a year of which 80% goes to the schools. Sad thing is FNSB is a class 2 Borough so we get no services for that money, not even police coverage, and have to pay extra for fire service and road maintenance.

As for hunting here you will need some form of off road transportation as there aren't many roads and anywhere there is road access to hwy vehicles turns into a zoo. Most access is by plane or boat which both are expensive.

Public K-12 schools in TX are a mixed bag. US News ranks us #35 of 50. We have some good public universities, but acceptance is pretty competitive. I moved to Fort Worth 35 years ago for work. We live in the city of Fort Worth; the schools in our part of the city are okay, but we have only one child and chose private school. Many of my colleagues chose to live in Parker County to the west for the Aledo schools. Others choose the so-called mid cities between Fort Worth and Dallas. There is explosive suburb growth to the north of both cities.

Population growth along the I-35 corridor is significant. Municipalities are struggling to grow infrastructure at a rate to keep up with the growth. Traffic keeps getting more and more congested, and when I venture out I see the multi-car accidents as a result (3 today). We have limited light rail public transportation, though Austin has a long-term plan for expansion of theirs (they will need it).

There is very limited public land hunting in TX. There was already a significant demand for property within a reasonable driving distance from the cities. COVID has increased that.

I'm sure that there may be some that backpack hunt in Texas, but opportunities for that type of hunting are much more limited than in Western states with more public land.

Edited to add: If you like warm weather, we have no shortage of that!

Last edited:

Recent Posts