moving quote

I split my time between WA and TX. The main base in recent years has been in WA, but we are in the process of switching the main base back to TX.

Moving company has given an itemized quote. I have a large sent of elk antlers and a large cape buffalo in a Euro skull mount. Movers have quoted almost $2,600 to crate these two items. This seems high to me.

Any others out there who have recently moved large trophies? If so, did you encounter similar challenges?

Thanks.
Years ago when I was moving my 'soon to be wife' from Portland, Oregon to Austin, Texas, we priced all the various options and ended up renting space in a long haul truck. I never even knew that kind of thing was available until then but it worked out really well and was way cheaper than renting a U-Haul. There are services that broker this kind of deal, such as this one: (https://www.moving.com/tips/why-you-should-consider-using-a-freight-trailer-to-move/) but basically you tell them where you're moving from, to, and when; then they arrange to have a box trailer dropped off at your house on a Friday. You have the weekend to pack and load your stuff then you build a plywood bulkhead to separate your stuff from the the other goods the truck/trailer is going to haul. They come pick up the trailer on Monday, load and deliver their freight (which is geographically going to be near where you're moving to) then they bring the trailer by your new residence for you to unload. You don't have the whole weekend to unload like you do to load but it worked out fine. It took about a week for the truck to show up at our new address in Texas. The only thing to remember about doing this is that these 18-wheeler trailers don't have much cushion for your goods so a the freight guy told us "pack your stuff like the Jolly Green Giant was going to pick up the trailer and shake it. We must have done a good job because we had no issues.

If you just cover the horns or put hose over the tips they be fine in back of truck,take them in at night for theft.Horns are tough,packed them miles off mountains with horses,also pithed them down steep mountains to get home.Easy to grate with scrap wood.My kid just sent many horns home from NZ in a cardboard box all bad it fine.Did shoot one bull in rock with cliffs, horns didnt survive the cliff jump.Heck theres a mounted cape buffalo on local craigs list for $875

Last edited:
First This is not a political statement. It is only economics. I can tell you right now that shipping prices are fair and true to the market so what ever the shipping company is charging you it is most likely fair for today's ecomony. Thanks to this new ADMINISTRATION we all got STIMULUS money so we could start the economy back up. Now with ALL the STIMULUS money you got you can pay a much higher price for shipping and be happy because you have the "STIMULUS" money to pay for it so you have free money. Now when you think about it -- it is costing you a great deal more money in the long run if you are a tax payer because you and your children and children's children will have to come up with the money to pay for your shipping of your mounts. Seems fair doesn't it! everyody get's money for free now and every price goes up on items, then years down the road someone else will have to pay for it. Seem like a good deal to me, I get free money now and don't have to worry to pay it back. This is not a political statement. It is only economics.

I split my time between WA and TX. The main base in recent years has been in WA, but we are in the process of switching the main base back to TX.

Moving company has given an itemized quote. I have a large sent of elk antlers and a large cape buffalo in a Euro skull mount. Movers have quoted almost $2,600 to crate these two items. This seems high to me.

Any others out there who have recently moved large trophies? If so, did you encounter similar challenges?

Thanks.
Howdy !

Watch the fine print, on the contract......

The mover may have specified that they will only compensate you for damaged items based on the item's wt; and not its true value.

Caviate Emptore

With regards,
357Mag

I was talking with a taxidermist in MT other day, he recommended these guys;
Patriot Trophy Hauling... he said they are very reasonable.

My last move, several deer heads were packed up in really nice crates, marked fragile, this side up. Delivered upside down and busted. Two mounts were damaged but I was able to get the company to pay for the repairs since the crates were clearly marked and damaged from pure negligence or maybe deliberate, who knows. The bottom line is I would do whatever I could to transport them myself, buy a shipping crate etc., rent a U-Haul whatever. I still believe today the damage was done deliberately for whatever reason. You had to work real hard at flipping them upside down since they had fork placements on bottom etc.