moving quote

MerlinMc

I split my time between WA and TX. The main base in recent years has been in WA, but we are in the process of switching the main base back to TX.

Moving company has given an itemized quote. I have a large sent of elk antlers and a large cape buffalo in a Euro skull mount. Movers have quoted almost $2,600 to crate these two items. This seems high to me.

Any others out there who have recently moved large trophies? If so, did you encounter similar challenges?

Thanks.

Just some thoughts:
1. Moving rates jump in May (start of Summer)
2. They jump even higher if moving to Texas because of the possibility of having the truck empty going back. Everybody is moving to Texas. Daughter and spouse are moving there and have checked the prices.
3. Build your own crates. I have moved a curved glass cabinet four times across the US and found I did a safer/better crate than some of the movers.
4. Yes, $2,600 does sound high, however the price of lumber has more than doubled.
Have a safe and successful move.

Dang! What did it cost you to get them mounted in the first place? Sounds extremely high to me but my mover experience is very limited (I had movers help me one time, it was 300 miles and they didn't touch my mounts).

Does it have to be crated due to weight?

Could you maybe use heavy duty boxes, wrap them in bubble wrap, and fill with foam peanuts. Would keep them from shifting.

Let the movers take other stuff and see if you can get them there yourself. If you have a pickup you could buy a camper top with the money you save. I paid something like half of your quote when I moved a couple of years ago, and I think it was for 3 mounts.

I vowed not to pay that much to transport them again, especially when you see how quickly and easily they build the crates.

Let the movers take other stuff and see if you can get them there yourself. If you have a pickup you could buy a camper top with the money you save. I paid something like half of your quote when I moved a couple of years ago, and I think it was for 3 mounts.

I vowed not to pay that much to transport them again, especially when you see how quickly and easily they build the crates.
I have a pick up but no camper top.

Rent a uhual and do it yourself, that is robbery. I moved a ton of taxidermy a few years back. I know you said skull mounts but I took 4 x 8 pieces of plywood and screwed all my mounts into multiple sections then screwed the plywood into the support beams. Whole trailer was deer heads and Africa. Just stayed at reputable hotels where I didn't have to worry to much about the trailer.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.