Moving into dialing

86alaskan

Ok, so right now I have a Steiner GS3 4-20x50 scope on my 25-06. It has the steiner BDC reticle and up to recently I have been ok with that. I have been shooting the XTR-II on my 260 more recently and have really gotten the hang of dialing that and like the MIL FFP reticle. So, I'm looking to get into a decent FFP MIL/MIL scope for my 25-06. I've been looking hard at the XTR-II in 4-20 because I can get a matching reticle to my 260. So, what other options should I be looking at in the $1000 range? I've got no experience with the Athlon scopes, and I'd like to keep a nice low end for hunting in the woods. Thanks

I can't tell you what else to look at, but i can tell you that I love my XTR-II 4-20. The glass is really good and so far the turrets seem to be accurate and repeatable. While I am at it, I will put a plug in for sportoptics.com. That is where I got mine and they are great people to deal with.

The xtr-II is on the short list right now. for the features it has, I can't do any better any get the same options without spending a fair amount more money. I really like the 3-15 xtr that I have, so I may just stick with the burris.

The Athlon Ares is in that price range and fits what you are looking for. I've been shooting a couple of them since they came out this summer and am very happy with them. Cabelas is carrying them now, go have a look. The reticle is a little thicker at full magnification than I'd like, but that's a balancing act with an FFP.

In fact I think the older Cronus is on sale for black Friday at Cabelas...or it will be. Can't find the flier now, but I think it was $1000, which is really cheap. I also have 2 of the newer Cronus BTR's and I love them. Never had my hands on the older Cronus, but if they are half trhebscope the newer ones are, $1k is a hell of a good deal.

If it's strictly a hunting rifle, consider the Burris veracity in 4-20. Seems to have the same glass as the xtr, I've really liked the mads knob system for my lr hunting rifles. The single turn zero stop is fool proof, and the 23 moa per turn should get you out to 1000 or better.

went ahead with a burris xtr-II 4-20x50 MIL/MIL G2B reticle. it'll be a match for the 3-15 I have on my 260 with the same reticle, MIL and FFP. we'll see how it performs.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.