Moving from 6.5 PRC to 300 PRC

I've sold lots of guns I don't use or if their purpose got replace by another it goes the way side. Can't hold onto everything for ever.
I can and pretty much have. Still have my first vehicle parked out back on the ranch. Still has the cranked up 327, with 11.5-1's, 202 heads, M22, 10 inch posi, and the fastest rats nest in two counties. Was stored in the barn that fell in 1996, and smashed the cab, hood, and it has been parked outside in the weeds ever since. Turned down many offers.....last one was about 2 years ago. He after I said no "I have seen so many of those just rust into the ground and they never do anything with them. Better to see them on the road again." Me...."Well its mine, I own it, I don't need your money, and if you live long enough you can add this one to your list of rusted into the ground. Want me to take a picture of you in front of it for your scrap book?". I can be a crotchety old fart.

Talked myself out of getting a 300 PRC over the summer for a 6.5 PRC and buyers remorse has set.

I have a .308 for closer hunts/shooting…. The 300 would be obviously for LR/ELR.

Is there anyone with better insight than me that can talk me out of a 300 PRC or should I just go with what the heart desires?
It depends on what your use for it will be. Personally, I think there are other options as good with cheaper and easier to find ammo. That's not to say the 300 PRC isn't a great caliber just that it is only one option. However, if that is what you're set on, and nothing else, then go for it. Just consider others.

If you can get 300 PRC ammo, I vote , go for it!
A buddy has one and his set up reaches out to 900 plus yards on elk. Very impressive in his hands. I have a 300 wm that is good to 600 in my hands. Just got a 338 wm, #2, so...I am thinking I will try to get good around 400 with it. I am an average shooter, not real disciplined. Getting old too. Go bigger.

Talked myself out of getting a 300 PRC over the summer for a 6.5 PRC and buyers remorse has set.

I have a .308 for closer hunts/shooting…. The 300 would be obviously for LR/ELR.

Is there anyone with better insight than me that can talk me out of a 300 PRC or should I just go with what the heart desires?
What game are you hunting?

I bought a ruger 300 prc. Purchased a proof carbon fiber barrel, nightforce scope, beast muzzle brake, timney trigger, carbon fiber heat shield. Love it. I am confident in the rifle and am working on my personal long range shooting. I am very confident at shooting game at 500 yards and looking to extend my range out further. Most would not be impressed with 500 yards but I am not in a rush and am working on my personal skill level. I am using hornady eldx 212grain with retumbo powder (72+ grains). I have extended my bullet seating in the brass to be more closely engage the rifling..
Actually, for most people, 500 yards is impressive. Maybe not here, but most hunters don't (maybe aren't competent to) shoot past 300 yards. And 500 yards in the wind is not easy, no matter what anyone says. In field conditions, consistent hits at 500 yards is pretty good.

I personally like the 6.5 PRC but would not own either rifle if you do not reload. If you primarily hunt Elk and Bear go with the 300 PRC otherwise the 6.5 PRC is a great cartridge out to 500 yards on Elk and Bear. The recoil on the 6.5 is nonexistent with a Terminator brake.

Welcome to the group from Az. Sounds like a different thread should be started as to not derail the OPs question.

That being said a 338-06 is not very effective with a 200 grain bullet after 400 yards. With a 200 grain bullet it loses 400 FPS from 100 to 200 yards. Here's a quote below. These bigger bullets need to moving along at longer ranges in order to open up and expand.

"Of three factory loads for the .338-06. One drives a 200 grain Nosler Ballistic Tip bullet (SD .254, BC .414) at a muzzle velocity (MV) of 2750 fps with 3358 ft. lbs. of muzzle energy (ME). At 200 yards the figures are 2364 fps and 2482 ft. lbs.

The other two factory loads use 250 grain bullets (SD .313). These start with a MV of 2500 fps and a ME of 3496 ft. lbs. The more streamlined of the two, a boat-tail spitzer, is still traveling at 2134 fps and carrying 2528 ft. lbs. of energy at 300 yards."
Its very effective with a 225 grain bullet. But you're right, its not part of this blog.

You won't regret it- I have a close friend who is an expert instructor for an ELR shooting school, former Army sniper instructor. I asked the same question and he steered me straight to 300 PRC, explaining all the benefits. Downside, join the rest of us holding our breath to buy bergers, RL26 or H1000, and Fed 215M's...

In a perfect world of course! Ran out of safe space and with my 1st on the way…the answer was to get rid of the 6.5 to fund a 300 build, or keep the 6.5.
Stack your least favorites against the wall near the safe if there are no kids in the house. I lock all my bolts or BCGs in the safe. The least favorites, I'll gamble with losing.

Welcome to the group from Az. Sounds like a different thread should be started as to not derail the OPs question.

That being said a 338-06 is not very effective with a 200 grain bullet after 400 yards. With a 200 grain bullet it loses 400 FPS from 100 to 200 yards. Here's a quote below. These bigger bullets need to moving along at longer ranges in order to open up and expand.

"Of three factory loads for the .338-06. One drives a 200 grain Nosler Ballistic Tip bullet (SD .254, BC .414) at a muzzle velocity (MV) of 2750 fps with 3358 ft. lbs. of muzzle energy (ME). At 200 yards the figures are 2364 fps and 2482 ft. lbs.

The other two factory loads use 250 grain bullets (SD .313). These start with a MV of 2500 fps and a ME of 3496 ft. lbs. The more streamlined of the two, a boat-tail spitzer, is still traveling at 2134 fps and carrying 2528 ft. lbs. of energy at 300 yards."
I greatly appreciate your insight into bullet weight, fps, and ft. lbs. I will pull out the books and do some side by side comparisons. Thanks agai!

I love 6.5 calibers,ie 6.5x284 and 6.5-06 both have stunning down range ballistics and accuracy.I personally
prefer 6.5 over 30cal but just my opinion.

Yes. I do that with a .35 Whelen, which is similar. You can launch a 225 grain .338 bullet from a 338-06 at around 2600 fps in the Nosler manual, and up to 2675 with some of Hodgdens's powders, while exceeding 2750fps with the Sierra 215 grain bullet using BLC(2), which is good enough for elk at 400 to 500 yards, and will stomp a deer within 600 yards. Your brass is easy to make just by passing a 30-06 case through a sizer and trimming the mouth, and bullets up to 300 grains are easily available. The best weight range for this round is the 200 to 250 grain bullet, with top performance in the 215 to 225 grain range. If you get an Ackley Improved .338-06, you can add about 75 fps to all velocities and with some bullet weights, as much a 125 fps. I'd like to have one, but my .35 Whelen does all the .338 will do and a little more. The advantage to the .338-06 is bullet weight and B.C. which is high. The .338 caliber projectiles are like the .284 projectiles and give a high B.C for weight. Get it made with a heavy sporter barrel or light varmint barrel at least 24 inches long, and 26 is better. That adds about 50 to 75 fps to the velocities, and makes it possible to get good results (above 2575fps)from even the 250 grain bullets. That makes it a good bear-moose round, too. Also, barrel life will be high. I've shot around 2500 rounds through my first Whelen and it still holds within 0.7 for 5 shots at 100 yards.
Hmmm, not nearly having the insight you folks are kindly sharing with me has opened up my search! All your advice is GREATLY APPRECICATED!