Moving from 6.5 PRC to 300 PRC

UH....don't sell guns because you don't have a safe space. I totally understand todays world and needs for a safe space. I have a safe space or a dozen send it to me, and I will put it in one of my places of safe. To the serious point. I have sold one gun in my 47 years of owning guns and I regret it to this day. Just get the 300....put the 6.5 wanna be something in a closet where it belongs.
100% correct....well 97%....where you went wrong was sending the gun to you! Gun would love our Canadian fall hunting!

I'd ditch that 308 over a 6.5 PRC. There is so little desire to shoot any of my 30's over the 6.5 I've been culling the herd. The 300 is a good set up tho. Built one. I don't shoot it as it's a typical 30 cal magnum, lots of umph, recoil, and bang. Badass in every way but I Love the 6.5 PRC.

Sell the 6.5. Build your 300 and then buy a 6.5 barrel for it when you're ready to have both. 6.5 will be on a long action and better that way anyways.

Talked myself out of getting a 300 PRC over the summer for a 6.5 PRC and buyers remorse has set.

I have a .308 for closer hunts/shooting…. The 300 would be obviously for LR/ELR.

Is there anyone with better insight than me that can talk me out of a 300 PRC or should I just go with what the heart desires?
Just a thought here...while you're talking to yourself....you could work a better deal if you buy a .338 Lap along with the 300 PRC!

I have both and I love both. The 6.5 has been bad *** on Antelope and Deer with 124 grain HH's but theres just something about throwing a large chunk of lead through the air at 3000 FPS that can't be had with the smaller calibers. Working on both the 245's and the 205's in the 300 PRC. Hopefully this upcoming year will afford me enough time and bullets, to get it all figured out and carry it for next hunting season. Good Luck and I couldn't agree more with the previous posters, get the 300 PRC but keep the 6.5. You will regret getting rid of it!

I have one of each. Simple fact is they are different rifles for different purposes. Its like comparing yams and potatoes...you just can't. As far as safe space is concerned, raise your children correctly and you have no worries. Just my 2 cents.

I will add this...if you do pick up the 300 PRC, you can get rid of the other 30 cal's. You'll have no desire to shoot them. Be sure to put a vertical port brake on the rifle. I went with a Christianson Traverse, its an absolute tack driver. Good luck.

Talked myself out of getting a 300 PRC over the summer for a 6.5 PRC and buyers remorse has set.

I have a .308 for closer hunts/shooting…. The 300 would be obviously for LR/ELR.

Is there anyone with better insight than me that can talk me out of a 300 PRC or should I just go with what the heart desires?
Not me! I've been looking at them as well...

THIS^ My 11-12lb 300prc has taught me a lot about keeping my form when shooting. As someone who has never struggled to shoot .5moa groups and tighter at 100yd I am embarrassed to say that I have pulled shots up to .5-1moa high at 100yd as I've learned to shoot the big magnums.

To the OP: Get a good rear bag. Sink the rifle hard on the bag every time you shoot, firing hand grip consistency is very important and don't wrap your thumb, consistent cheek weld pressure. Front rest is important also but typically doesn't present issue as often. Buy a good muzzle brake, there are several. I like the Ti Pro 3 on my 300. For my rear bag I'm using the LRO Hunter's wedge with Git Lite along with the bottom bag also. It's awesome. Anyway you probably know all of this already.

Also if you are in a hurry to build and shoot 300PRC right now you will be waiting. Powder is hard to find and quality brass is even harder. Hornady will get the job done to start however. N570, N568/565, RL26. I bought my first jug of N570 3 months before I had a single piece of my build. Anyway it's a awesome cartridge for long range shooting and hunting. If I were only shooting steel at 1000 I'd stick with the 6.5 PRC. But for game, especially elk, at 1000 I pick the 300. Have fun!
N570 works very well for me with the 245's if you can find either.

A 6.5 PRC and a 300 PRC seems like you would have everything covered,

300 PRC is an excellent cartridge, if you like shooting long range as well it's a no brainer,

One question is the 300 PRC a target rifle or hunting rifle ? As the MTU contour is dam heavy, my 300 PRC target rifle has one and it's definitely a range gun at 30 inches long, I added a brake to reduce recoil, but still love shooting it.

I absolutely love mine! 80.6 grains of N570, 215 Berger Hybrids and CCI 250s make it a one-holer.

Don't do it! My wife bought me a 30 Nosler and then I rebarelled my shot out 300 WSM to 6.5 PRC. The Nosler is an absolute hammer and I love both guns but the 6.5 is way more fun to shoot and is hell on game. (143gr @ 3066fps, rivaling a 270) i shot a mule deer at 300 yards and the bullet destroyed the shoulder and stopped on the opposing hide. Had i not hit the shoulder it would have exited. I would not hesitate to shoot an elk with one.
Learn shoot the 6.5 and build the 300 PRC later. The smaller bullets will make you better at calling the wind and its cheaper to shoot.

well I did both bighorn action with a 6.5 PRC with a proof carbon fiber barrel and a proof carbon fiber 300 PRC barrel, it take me around 20 mins in the shop to switch barrels

You only play this game one time get what you want

Recent Posts