Moving from 6.5 PRC to 300 PRC

jackie_daytona

Talked myself out of getting a 300 PRC over the summer for a 6.5 PRC and buyers remorse has set.

I have a .308 for closer hunts/shooting…. The 300 would be obviously for LR/ELR.

Is there anyone with better insight than me that can talk me out of a 300 PRC or should I just go with what the heart desires?

Talked myself out of getting a 300 PRC over the summer for a 6.5 PRC and buyers remorse has set.

I have a .308 for closer hunts/shooting…. The 300 would be obviously for LR/ELR.

Is there anyone with better insight than me that can talk me out of a 300 PRC or should I just go with what the heart desires?
I would get the PRC and be happy. After years of resisting buying a 280 AI, I picked one up a month ago and it performed well on a cow elk a few weeks ago. My friends were right in suggesting I try one and it will probably rise to first out of he safe for my hunting trips.

I have one and really like it. It's pretty popular though and when the correct components appear, buy them. I'm running 245 bergers with bergers max recommended charge of n570 in a CA Mesa LR @2940fps with an amd tuner and it's pretty tough to beat. I have a milder load with 250 Atips for target. It's definitely another level of recoil so be aware. I really have to be conscious of my form if I want to shoot good.

How do you like that Tuner? And how heavy is your rifle?

If I do build a 300, I was planning on using a MTU style contour, with slightly larger ratios to increase weight, plus a break…all to mitigate recoil

I really like the tuner. It's heavy but solid. I didn't notice any difference in recoil from the stock CA brake. I'm not sure how much it weighs but I can say it's feels a lot heavier with more recoil than a 30-378 mark V I'm about to do load work up for so good on you for building for it. I'm also using the heavy vortex razor which probably adds to the weight but the weatherby has the same on it and it feels much lighter

I can say that the difference between 6.5 prc and 300 prc - for me - is being able to spot my own shots vs. not able to. Would a different stock make enough difference to be able to spot with the 300? I want to find out one day as the .300 prc recoil is not terrible, but just enough in a typical hunting stock to prevent seeing. I think a straighter line to toe such as a GW Magnus or Manners EH1 would make the difference.

I can spot my shots most of the time but I've had it knock my earmuff off my ear if I'm relaxing and focusing a little too much lol. I wear earplugs under my earmuffs and it still make me deaf in that ear when it does that. Could very well be stock design problem I don't know. I shoot so good with it I just don't care

In a perfect world of course! Ran out of safe space and with my 1st on the way…the answer was to get rid of the 6.5 to fund a 300 build, or keep the 6.5.
UH....don't sell guns because you don't have a safe space. I totally understand todays world and needs for a safe space. I have a safe space or a dozen send it to me, and I will put it in one of my places of safe. To the serious point. I have sold one gun in my 47 years of owning guns and I regret it to this day. Just get the 300....put the 6.5 wanna be something in a closet where it belongs.

UH....don't sell guns because you don't have a safe space. I totally understand todays world and needs for a safe space. I have a safe space or a dozen send it to me, and I will put it in one of my places of safe. To the serious point. I have sold one gun in my 47 years of owning guns and I regret it to this day. Just get the 300....put the 6.5 wanna be something in a closet where it belongs.
Sounds like 300 it is…which means exactly what you said, 6.5 will stay in the safe…until I can find a buyer haha!

The boss lady says sell for a 300, sounds like that's where I'm headed.

I should've gotten the 300 in the FIRST PLACE!

1638809838186.gif