Move over 6.5 Creedmoor something New is Coming Thru ...

Is Creed II good for you too ?

• Total voters
The 6mm Creed. is making a serious move on the popular 6.5 Creedmoor.
Got any good Creed. Info. to share ?

Well, I've always been a bigger fan of the 6mm over the 6.5mm for 1k paper & Yotes, I've used the, 240 Wby, 6mm Rem, .243 Win, 6mmx284, .243 WSSM and 6XC with great results from all of them, yes I like 6mm's... especially the 243 WSSM at 1k. When the 6.5 Creed came onto the scene I wonder how long it would take for the 6mm Creed to show up, I told many folks at the time I thought it might just overshadow the 6.5 Creed in the end and so here we are. I have yet to use a 6mm Creed and I don't do much 1k LR or Yote hunting these days, but I may just for fun re-barrel a rifle and hit the range with it I'm pretty sure I know what it will do.

Lots of good comments here. I have a 7-08, I ve had two 6.5 CM s and friend (gunsmith) has built 5-6 6 CM s already.

MHO is none of these cartridges are magic.. just different platforms doing similar work/performance. That said I believe the 6 and 6.5 CM s have one advantage (my opinion) over the 308 based cartridges (243 and 260) and it is they better fit a SA (2.8-2.850") action. If you happen to have a 3" action then other than a more modern shoulder angle ( better at controlling case growth) then honestly the 243 and 260 will give you slightly better performance.

The differences are more imagined than actual IMO between the 6, 6.5 CM and the 243 and 260.

The 6mm Rem case is a different animal but it requires a min 3" action and even becomes more versatile built in a long action.

I concur with one of the upper posts about the SA Barrett Fieldcraft and them using a 3" SA and quick twists... mighty good planning. They are a lightweight/hunting type rifle though.

Good Luck with whichever of these cartridges you choose; they ll all do a commendable job!

Well, I've always been a bigger fan of the 6mm over the 6.5mm for 1k paper & Yotes, I've used the, 240 Wby, 6mm Rem, .243 Win, 6mmx284, .243 WSSM and 6XC with great results from all of them, yes I like 6mm's... especially the 243 WSSM at 1k. When the 6.5 Creed came onto the scene I wonder how long it would take for the 6mm Creed to show up, I told many folks at the time I thought it might just overshadow the 6.5 Creed in the end and so here we are. I have yet to use a 6mm Creed and I don't do much 1k LR or Yote hunting these days, but I may just for fun re-barrel a rifle and hit the range with it I'm pretty sure I know what it will do.
Try 6mm BR with 107 SMK to 500. Real fun.

If the 6mm Creed only "nearly equals" the 6mm Remington, what's the point??? For larger game, shot selection will be critical with these somewhat underpowered cartridges. If you're paper-punching and you have to have something new, go for it. Otherwise, the old .243 Win will do the job nicely and the .30-06 can do anything one wants. A milder big game cartridge like the 7mm-08 fills in nicely if you want a short action with milder recoil. But it's your money!!!!
You aren't a good gun salesmen

I've had two 6.5 creedmoors, one in a rem 700 with a 26 inch Criterion barrel and one in a AR-10 with a Proof Barrel. I thought it was leaps and bounds over my old 308 in an M1a, as far as trejectory and wind fighting capabilities (nothing is more satisfying than shooting an M1a however).

Then came the 6mm Creedmoor. Bought one in a Ruger Precision Rifle and sense then I've never had the desire to shoot another 6.5 Creedmoor, a 264 Wincheser or 6.5-06 yes, but I don't see the point in the 6.5 creedmoor.

A lot of people mentioned it's hunting capabilities. The problem is uneducated unexperienced people reading about the 6.5 CM online. They get the idea that it is a magical cartridge capable of shooting a mile (which it will), then someone says it has enough power for deer and elk (which it does), the uneducated unexperienced put 2 and 2 together and come up with 6 (WE CAN SHOOT ELK AT 1000 YARDS WITH THIS MAGICAL CARTRIDGE). I'm not saying it can't be done, a well placed musket ball could kill an elk at 1000 yards, or at least knock it out after bouncing off its head.

Coming to my point, the 6.5 CM was designed for targets. In my experience, the 6mm has less recoil, less drop, and almost identical wind fighting capabilities making it a better target round.

If I was using ether the 6 or 6.5 for hunting elk, I would limit myself to 400 yrds, so under any conditions, wind, rain, sharp angles, snow... I could hit the heart or double lungs 10 out of 10 times without worry of hitting the shoulder and not penetrating. And I'm not bragging, but I can hit a 10 inch plate at 800 yards almost all day long. but I have more respect for animals than I do steel.

I've seen a 210gr berger fired out of a 300 Ultra Mag at 80 yards, again 80 yards, blow up and not penetrate through the shoulder of an elk! What gives people the idea the 6.5 creedmoor is a long range hunting cartridge is beyond me.

I have a 243 which served my daughter well, but I had a 6mm AI and bullet performance was awful. It worked good on coyotes, but still had to track one that was liver shot. I've tracked several double lung shot deer as well. Even one double lung deer my mother shot. Found it the next day...both holes had sealed up so no blood on thr ground.

Wife is hunting/shooting with a 6.5 Creedmoor and it has been laying them down!

I have many 6.5 guns chambered in various configurations. The last receiver I have in the safe may very well become one!

My wife shot this 4 shot group yesterday at 200yds!

IMG-20190902-WA0003.jpeg

It's taken some time, but I finally have my 243 Ackley Improved shooting well. Load development was difficult due to lack of data. The best advice I received was to begin with 243 Winchester max loads and work up. The result was 3,370 fps with standard deviation of 5.19 with a Sierra 85 gr HPBT behind 46.5 gr IMR 4350. There should be a great deal more data available for the 6mm Creedmore so the laborious work I expended on my project can be avoided.
I shoot 87gr VMAXs from a standard .243 at the same velocity with either 44.0gr of IMR 4350 or 44.3gr of IMR 4451. Its a warm load, but I don't have extractor marks.

The purpose behind these new cartridges is to bring custom level performance to the average Joe. Yes you can build a .243 or 6mm Remington and shoot 105s at 3100-3200fps. You need an 8 twist barrel to do so, good luck finding an affordable and affective long range rifle with a fast twist in .243 or 6mm Remington, I'll wait... The main problem is these cartridges were designed half a century ago with the intent of shooting 70-85gr bullets at high speed. Originally, the 6mm Remington was called the .244 Remington, and people complained that it wouldn't shoot 85-100gr bullets well for hunting medium game because of the twist. So when Remington reintroduced the same exact cartridge but with a 9 twist for 100gr bullets, people had already moved on to the .243 and the 6mm never really took off.

Now fast forward to today, with the 105-115gr heavy, high BC, bullets for 6mm. The SAAMI specs for the .243 and 6mmRem call for rather slow twists and again are designed around traditional soft point 85-100gr bullets. Rifle manufacturers just can't make a .243 with a custom chamber and have it be considered SAAMI approved. Then when they sell new .243 ammo loaded to longer than SAAMI specs, people with 50 year old deer rifles will be complaining it won't chamber or shoot well in their old 10 twist deer rifle.

Now comes the 6mm Creedmoor, it's not just a fad it's actually innovative in more than just it's actual design. You can sell Billy Bob his 6mm Creedmoor ammo with 100gr Core Lokts for deer in his light weight Savage rifle, or sell Johnny Tactical 108gr ELD ammo and let him bang steel way out there. It's designed to handle modern bullets, in modern rifles, for as many purposes as possible. With the SAAMI reamer and ammo specs to work with anything from 75gr varmint bullets screaming along at 3500 to 108gr ELDs at 3000. It also does all of this while feeding and functioning in a 2.800" mag box.

Last edited:
I'v a load for one of my 6.5 Creedmoor's, using the Berger 156 EOL and @2655 avg velocity it stays supersonic to 1660 yds, but energy drops off to 1200ft-lb @844yd and 1037 ft-lb @around 1000yd. Been shooting an elk size vital steel at 1044yd, it's gets there with authority and makes holes in 3/8 mild steel. A 6.5 Creedmoor with this bullet, as a back-up elk gun, works for me.

I'v a load for one of my 6.5 Creedmoor's, using the Berger 156 EOL and @2655 avg velocity it stays supersonic to 1660 yds, but energy drops off to 1200ft-lb @844yd and 1037 ft-lb @around 1000yd. Been shooting an elk size vital steel at 1044yd, it's gets there with authority and makes holes in 3/8 mild steel. A 6.5 Creedmoor with this bullet, as a back-up elk gun, works for me.

Nice, barrel length?

I've been wanting to try the 156 eol. I ran the 150 smk at 2810 in mine with Peterson brass. I bet I could get atleast that and more if I switched to hornady brass. That 156 makes the creed a hard hitting machine

Unfortunately I can't vote because I have neither. Fortunately, I have other alternatives; the 243AI and a 240 Gibbs in the 6mm category. And to answer the 6.5 craze, I've been shooting the 260 since shortly after it came out. And if that's not enough, I can turn to my 6.5 Gibbs to really reach out and touch 'em. But I must admit to a growing curiosity about the 6cm. And I'm wondering what the 25cm does that my 25:06AI won't do? Just saying...

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.