Mounting a scope without canting????

NorthernSniper

Any suggestions on mounting a scope so that there is no canting or very little if any? I tried sitting the rifle on a level surface accross the magazine well then lining up the verticle cross hair on something verticle in the distance, seemed to work how do you do it??

I used a bubble level on a flat part of the rifle, (scope rail), and another one on top of the turret cap. Lined the bubbles up and tightened, whalla.

I just went through this the past weekend. Fortunately a friend had a set-up that made it easy. What he had was a two part set. The first part was a small bar with a bubble level that you attached to a flat area on the receiver. The second was a small base with a bubble level and a vertical rod, the base having adjustable feet for leveling too. Put your rifle in a vise and level it. Set the base with the vertical rod across the room and set it plumb. Mount your scope and rotate it until the vertical cross hair aligns with the rod.

A standard level would work on you receiver if it isn't in the way of mounting the scope. And IF you are lucky enough to have a plumb door jam you can aim at it. But holding the rifle level while sighting through the scope was a bit tricky and I was glad that he was keeping an eye on the bubble for me.

I've found for me the best way to adjust the scope level. It quick (kind of), easy, and requires no extra equipment.

First is to first put the gun in a mount. Second remove the bolt. Third place the scope loosley in the mounts. Fourth, from the butt of the gun look though the scope and see if the bottom hair is pointing directly at the middle of the bore. This has been surprisingly sensitive for me, and has taken several minutes of "dinking around" to get it just right. Continuously check this as you tighten the mounts, as uneven tightening of the mounts can raotate the scope.

Hope this helps.

Mark in Utah

P.S. This is also a good chance to bore-sight the scope.

Buy a line level for about 2 bucks at the local hardware. Go to the range and hang a rope from the back stop like a plumb bob. Use the line level to level the rifle and then line up the vertical crosshair with the rope. Then put your scope level on because you can still cant the rifle in the field and screw up your shot.

Mark in Utah,

Just how I do it; although (frustratingly!) 9 out of 10 times I used to find the scope would tip minutely at the final tightening of screws -just when I was thinking I'd succeeded! I now get a second person to hold the objective 2 handed, bracing their fingers against the rifle barrel on either side, to prevent this final 'tip'.

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.