Mountain rifle - build or buy?

Rhunter2

I currently have an mrc x2 with a 4-18 lrtsi scope in a 7 rem mag. I haven't weighed the gun but I would guess 10lbs +\-. It feels a bit heavy for packing up a mountain. Gun shoots well. Under 3/4" with factory 162 eldx. I am contemplating selling the gun and buying a lighter one or starting to change parts on this one to lighten it up. I like the scope so I am just looking at the rifle. I know that mrc action is on the heavy side. Am I better off going a whole new direction (new gun) or throwing new parts at this one. Parts would likely include a McMillan stock, lighter barrel, and maybe different bottom metal. Not looking for a five pound rifle but I would like to shave a couple of pounds off my current setup.

I would build if it's in the budget.

As stated above there's a lot of light weight factory offerings but they all seem to come at a sacrifice.

Now building a lightweight does get costly and quick. No sacrifices though.

Were it me and I'm thinking of the same thing I'd go with a steel action of your choice, carbon barrel, Mcm carbon edge fill stock and a light set of rings. I feel like an aluminum rail and either Seekins or NF Ultra-lights are the way to go here.

This will have you in the 7-8 pound range before scope.

You can shave some weight with a titanium action and bolt but you have to ask yourself if that 8-10 ounces is worth it.

Cooper firearms ,timber line ,or the backcountry are a nice light accurate choice for $2500-3000 hard to build a nice! custom for that

I built a custom- short action rem ti, manners eh1, 25" carbon wrapped barrel. Rem bdl bottom metal. Nightforce direct mount, VX5HD 3-15x44. Weighs 7 pounds 15oz, and is very long range capable.

.280AI
R700 LA BDL
Trued by Axisworks
Fluted bolt
Alloy bolt shroud
Carbon fiber knob
TI firing pin and Wolfe Blitzschnell spring
Shilen match trigger
Proof Research Sendero Light @ 26" 1:9"
Hawkins 3 port brake
Manners EH1 bedded
Seekins alloy 20MOA Picatinny rail
Seekins alloy 30mm medium high rings
March F 3-24×52
8lbs 13oz all in.
Just under 7lbs bare rifle

Last edited:
Hitting 8# scoped is pretty easy with a variety of factory guns. I've got a factory Rem 700 SPS stainless in 300 RUM in a B&C Alaskan Ti stock that weighs 8# 2oz ready to hunt, and that's with the 26" factory barrel and bottom metal. There are a couple models from Kimber that should be at or below the 8# scoped mark as well.

Getting below 8# scoped is when it starts to get expensive. If you budget allows it, check out some of the NULA rifles. You'd have a hard time building a lighter rifle for any price.

If you decide to go with a factory rifle look at the Browning Hells Canyon.
Hells Canyon Speed 6.5 lbs $1079
Hells Canyon Long Range has a heavier contour barrel 7.4 lbs $1079.
Hells Canyon with McMillan stock 7.7 lbs $1800.
These prices are from Sportsman warehouse.
They are accurate and if you replace the trigger spring you can get the trigger down to around 3 lbs.

Budget Light weight build: Tikka magnum faced long action donor, wildcat stock, quality fluted sporter contour barrel from preferred maker, you'll be around 6.25# bare rifle. I'd build on a short action magnum case, throated properly for heavy bullets. 7mm wsm, 7rem saum, 7mm sherman short, 7mm blaser.

Lightest weight build: Pierce/mesa/lone peak ti action. Wildcat composites stock, fluted sporter or sendero light carbon barrel, Hawkins bottom metal and hybrid rings. You'll be near 5.5-5.75# bare rifle. I have a lone peak razor ti, proof sendero light 24" 6.5 saum in a mickey game hunter, Hawkins rings & bottom metal, it weighs 6#. If I went wildcat stock, it'd been half a pound lighter.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.