Mountain Lions Kill 2 Radio-Collared Wolves in Montana

Seems to go both ways up here. The wolves are wicked smart and follow the lions taking there kills a high percentage of the time. Lions are killing wolves and wolves are killing lions......and most everything else they come in contact with. kinda scary when the game herds are so far down that its perdator versus perdator.

Don't know a lot about game management, but when predators get to the point that they are killing enough of eachother to be noticed..... not a good sign.

Cougars killed most of the deer in the area surrounding my folks place, as the wolves move in we expect the elk to go away as well. Think we need to re introduce Ak peninsula moose in the lower 48 so we have a game animal bad *** enough to survive. And they are about as "natural" to the lower 48 as the canadian grey wolves.

Don't know a lot about game management, but when predators get to the point that they are killing enough of eachother to be noticed..... not a good sign.

Cougars killed most of the deer in the area surrounding my folks place, as the wolves move in we expect the elk to go away as well. Think we need to re introduce Ak peninsula moose in the lower 48 so we have a game animal bad *** enough to survive. And they are about as "natural" to the lower 48 as the canadian grey wolves.
Now there's an awesome idea! Too bad that'll never clear FWP red tape. I'd love to have a bigger moose population down here, especially one that could hold its own against the mutts.

Not really a Lion lover myself, think we should be able to hunt them with dogs over in the *** state of WA, but to hear them taking on wolves which I dispise, is music to my ears!!!!!

GO LIONS!!!!

Grizz in Jellystone are following wolf packs. the biggest Griz in the the park are not all hibernating. A few are following the wolves, find them at a kill, chase off the pack, feed and sit on the carcass. No wolves dare to take on a BIG grizz. There was footage of this on some public TV, I saw it 2 years ago in the winter.

Never hunted lions and never got a wolf while in B.C. but It just pizzes me off hearing no dogs or bait hunting regs. laws is some states by tree hugging bunny fluffers!
Riddle me this? A lion hunts a wolf, a wolf hunts a lion, bears will follow wolves to a kill (bait), wolves will kill cubs maybe a bear, BUT! humans can't use a dog to hunt lions, bears, bait etc. Are dogs not related to wolves and predators attracked to dead **** in the wilderness? WTH is their thought process!!!!!!!!!!! God help us and this country!

I feel better now , go about your day and keep your arms in the ride at all times, thank you.

Gene

There should be a BOUNTY of ALL wolves!.

Amen!!!

Im seriously thinking about strickly hunting wolves this year. I cant honestly go another year with
out at leasting tagging one wolf. Now if we could get everyone to do this we'd be getting some where.

They need to get grizzlies off the protected list also, way to many around these parts.

Last year we also noticed that the grizzlies arent hibernating due to all the dead deer and elk carcasses lying around. Two big ol bors were together all last hunting season and were taking peoples elk all season. Even after just one shot they would come running. The fwp was actually replacing peoples tags that had problems with them.

Wow! Not a big fan of cougars; went to the U of Idaho, WSU (the cougars), is a close neighbor/rival. However I'd like to see a cat kill a wolf.

Unfortunately, I'd still have to see it in person to believe it. We used to run hounds, and three good sized, experienced hounds will kill a cat. On the flip side, a good friend of mine who guides cats/bears in Idaho has lost three dogs now to the wolves.

If a hound can kill a cat, and a wolf can kill a hound...it would take a big old tom and a young inexperienced wolf to turn out that way. Dogs chase cats for a reason.

kinda scary when the game herds are so far down that its perdator versus perdator.

Non predatory game animals may be down in the area, I don't know, but predators competing with one another is the most natural condition imaginable and not an indication of anything.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.