Mountain lion

JMack

This isn't long range topic but really isn't a forum for it other than maybe bow hunting which doesn't get a lot of traffic. Looking for recommendations for an outfitter/guide for a mountain lion hunt. Fee free to pm me if you don't want to post in thread. I did one about 17 years ago around encampment Wyoming, was unsuccessful and would like to give a whirl again. Prefer to use a bow.

Thanks!

Not a guided hunt, but come walk around in SW Washington.........You have a very good chance of walking into one now that Hound hunting has been banned for quite awhile. I've seen 4 during early archery, and my wife and neighbors see them a few times a year around the house. This year, I think I may have saw more Bear and Cougar droppings than Elk in my old hunting area.........We need more Predator hunters here in Washington! The deer and Elk hunting might suck, but the Bear and Cougar gets better every year......Oh Joy!

Not a guided hunt, but come walk around in SW Washington.........You have a very good chance of walking into one now that Hound hunting has been banned for quite awhile. I've seen 4 during early archery, and my wife and neighbors see them a few times a year around the house. This year, I think I may have saw more Bear and Cougar droppings than Elk in my old hunting area.........We need more Predator hunters here in Washington! The deer and Elk hunting might suck, but the Bear and Cougar gets better every year......Oh Joy!

Get a tag for moose, deer, elk etc, shoot one and hunt the carcass/gut pile.

On your way out from the kill use a bloody piece of hide, rag, towel, etc to lay a blood trail back to it.

The predators will find it within hours.

You looking to stay in Wyoming? I know a few outfits here in Nevada that do pretty well. Problem is there are years we just don't get much snow and that makes it really hard to get on them.

Any western state within lower 48 works for me, not looking to cross borders like a British Columbia hunt. On the last one, hunted 9 days straight, fresh snow every night, fresh track every morning couldn't put one in a tree. Seemed to always be an issue with dogs, equipment, booze (not me, the outfitter). It got frustrating.

Any western state within lower 48 works for me, not looking to cross borders like a British Columbia hunt. On the last one, hunted 9 days straight, fresh snow every night, fresh track every morning couldn't put one in a tree. Seemed to always be an issue with dogs, equipment, booze (not me, the outfitter). It got frustrating.
Unfortunately where hound hunting is still allowed cats get wise to dogs pretty quickly so your odds of taking a mature cat are slim.

Where it isn't allowed the cats are not nearly as nervous but your best bet of getting on one comes with hunting over a carcass, gut pile or natural kill.

If you're lucky enough to find where they've buried a kill you're pretty well assured they'll be back every 24-48 hours at least.

Go with dogs. We used to put the same cats in trees multiple times. They never got wise to the dogs. Good dogs will put them up. Lions don't have the lungs to run far. Bobcats will run father, tougher to tree. Lion hunting is all about the dogs. Not much to shooting one out of a tree. It is a reward to the dogs. I enjoyed running track to tree. Never knew for sure what kind of terrain you were in for. If you are not up for the tough hike you just wait for the dogs to get it treed then take the easy way in.

Find an outfitter that is not hunting the population to hard.

Steve

Go with dogs. We used to put the same cats in trees multiple times. They never got wise to the dogs. Good dogs will put them up. Lions don't have the lungs to run far. Bobcats will run father, tougher to tree. Lion hunting is all about the dogs. Not much to shooting one out of a tree. It is a reward to the dogs. I enjoyed running track to tree. Never knew for sure what kind of terrain you were in for. If you are not up for the tough hike you just wait for the dogs to get it treed then take the easy way in.

Steve
Finding the right houndsman, that's the problem

Steve

Yup. Lions will run from dogs. Good dogs will chase the lion till it stops. Around here there aren't many trees so they just run till they can't anymore and wait for a dog to get too close.

Not my lion, but a nasty old cat that was harassing sheep.

Attachments

• 6CDF3B55-B8B7-48A9-B9AD-0A5DEC88A7E6.jpeg
    6CDF3B55-B8B7-48A9-B9AD-0A5DEC88A7E6.jpeg
    904.5 KB · Views: 244
Here they tree. I know other places the dogs have to bay them up. Be smart enough not to get killed. They run a lot of black and tans as well as walkers here. Some blue tics.

Steve

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.