Mountain Lion Attack stopped in the deer woods...close call!

She handled that perfectly, and her upbringing and faith were evident here. Bravo. My 10 year old daughter took a mountain lion her first year of hunting. They are excellent table fare and it helps a depressed deer population rebound easier. So, we don't have any problem killing them. I do respect everyone's opinion and it is a beautiful animal.

My daughter and I were hunting in CO 2 weeks ago for second rifle season. While I was down in a canyon quartering my elk, she was up on top, deer hunting the last day of season. While moving through some thick timber between two areas of interest, she came up on a lion in a small opening (16 yards) that was not afraid of people or backing down. She did all the right things trying to scare it off, but it came at her, closing the distance to 8 yards and preparing to pounce when she finally was forced to defend herself. Amazingly, she caught most of the encounter on video and audio. The Game and Fish officials said that there has been more aggressive mountain lion encounters lately. Aggressive encounters are rare, but if anyone is hunting in lion or bear country, be aware of the precautions you can take and the right responses for the different animals and be sure to educate your kids about the topic. I'm sure glad I did. This encounter could have ended much worse.

I am glad you had trained your daughter well and she is safe, this is a good lesson I will show this video to my daughter before we go on her first hunt. We had a near encounter when we were on a hike when my daughter was small walking through a heavily wooded area in RMNP. We were fornunate that the lion did not close any closer than about 25 yards by the time we hit the parking lot, we kept my daughter in between us on the path told my wife to keep to walk a bit faster, I did not tell my wife what was going on until we were in the car. If you pick up a dead animal scent repetitively while you are hunting in mountain lion areas, good chance one is tracking you, as they smell like a dead animal.

She is one cool cucumber! I would have soiled myself and cried. Great job raising an amazing woman!

My daughter and I were hunting in CO 2 weeks ago for second rifle season. While I was down in a canyon quartering my elk, she was up on top, deer hunting the last day of season. While moving through some thick timber between two areas of interest, she came up on a lion in a small opening (16 yards) that was not afraid of people or backing down. She did all the right things trying to scare it off, but it came at her, closing the distance to 8 yards and preparing to pounce when she finally was forced to defend herself. Amazingly, she caught most of the encounter on video and audio. The Game and Fish officials said that there has been more aggressive mountain lion encounters lately. Aggressive encounters are rare, but if anyone is hunting in lion or bear country, be aware of the precautions you can take and the right responses for the different animals and be sure to educate your kids about the topic. I'm sure glad I did. This encounter could have ended much worse.

Great young lady! In a situation like that....I would have shot first....and growled later!

WOW! Congratulations to your daughter. She handled it as well as it could be handled. You obviously did an excellent job of raising her. Hearing and seeing her talk about it afterwards was fantastic. Thank you for posting this.

Amazing! This WOMAN's courage & cool-headiness is matched only by her faith. You raised her right Dad!👍

I am glad you had trained your daughter well and she is safe, this is a good lesson I will show this video to my daughter before we go on her first hunt. We had a near encounter when we were on a hike when my daughter was small walking through a heavily wooded area in RMNP. We were fornunate that the lion did not close any closer than about 25 yards by the time we hit the parking lot, we kept my daughter in between us on the path told my wife to keep to walk a bit faster, I did not tell my wife what was going on until we were in the car. If you pick up a dead animal scent repetitively while you are hunting in mountain lion areas, good chance one is tracking you, as they smell like a dead animal.
"If you pick up a dead animal scent repetitively while you are hunting in mountain lion areas, good chance one is tracking you, as they smell like a dead animal." - Good to know, I have not heard that before, thanks for sharing.

Well done! I've had 3 close encounters in NM. The last time, I had fallen on a prickly pear cactus and had my pants down around my ankles while pulling spines out of my butt. My rifle and knives were several feet away on the dead deer I had just cleaned. I glanced to my right and saw eyes shining back in the dark about 20 yards away. I upped the brightness on the headlamp and identified what he was. He could have had me right then. Apparently he wasn't that hungry. I retrieved my rifle, and parted his hair with a bullet. He leaped straight up in the air, and took off. I jacked another round in so fast that I was never able to find the ejected shell. I think it landed in the next county. He didn't touch the meat I left nearby, and I saw no evidence of him the next day. No tracks in the rock.

I once had a black bear find my elk before I did. There was some meat missing, and scat all around. I kept looking around while processing the elk, but never saw it. I carry a S&W Scandium .357. It weighs 11 oz. empty, (which it never is) and gives me a warm fuzzy feeling. When I was young, we controlled predators, and the woods were safe for children. Now we introduce wolves. Google wolf attacks on humans, and look at stories from the 1800's. The scariest one was a posse that went looking for two missing friends. They found 17 dead wolves, empty guns and bones.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.