Mountain Gun build - What would you do different?

KamoAggie

Thinking about getting a lighter mountain gun built. Below is what I am thinking, what would you do differently?

300 WSM
Stock - McMillan Hunter w/ Edge Tech
Barrel - PROOF Lite Carbon 24" 1010 twist
Harrells Gill Muzzle Break
Action - Lone Peak Fuzion - TI
Trigger - Jewel

Any ideas or thought would be appreciated.

I would go with a win mag over the short. If youre in a bind, you can always find a huge selection of different factory ammo for the in WM over the WSM. Everything else i like. That's what I'm going to do with my .300 after I burn this barrel through. (CF and edge)

You'll also be able to always find brass for the win mag.

I think your list is a good one.

I have as follows and I really like it.

7 RM
Proof sendero at 24" - no brake for hunting
Stockys CF stock
Rem stainless long action
Trigger tech trigger
Leopold vx-6 6-24

I'm just over 8 lbs with scope and it shoots like a dream

dont change anything. add a Javelin bipod and or their sentinel tripod.
put a gunsmith adapter that goes flush into the stock and adds hadrly any weight. Bipod is 5.5 oz
what i have, what i use.
SnT

Your list should create a hell of a rifle. Personally I would go with a 1-9" twist and an inch or two longer on the carbon barrel. I would take the weight penalty for better performance with heavy bullets but that's a never ending series of trade offs!

Just an opinion but often when folks think mountain rifle, they think solely weight. Lug an ungainly/poorly balanced rifle around the steeps for a week and you'll appreciate good carrying characteristics. My favorite mountain rifle to "carry" is a Marlin lever-action 1895. The short barrel, narrow receiver and good balance make it a dream to carry. It's a 7 lb. rifle without a scope but you hardly notice it's in your hand.

Not saying a lever-action is appropriate for an open country situation but the point is that it has characteristics that make it very good to tote. Translate that to a bolt gun and you have a 22" to 24" barrel (so it doesn't dig into the ground on uphill ascents), a not-to-thick stock and a reasonably weighted scope so it's not top/forward heavy. Light weight of course is good too but ultra-light often comes with compromises in performance. Actually, "ultra" anything has a way of generating buyers remorse.

Not saying all mountain hunting rigs should be like that but just noting that 99% of the time, you gun is in your hand so good balance shouldn't be overlooked.

Thanks for all the replies! I have a 7RM and 300RUM already but they are 8.5 - 9.5 pound rifles. I wanted a shorter action and shorter barrel. I am still considering the 6.5 but I am leaning 300WSM due to the range of animals. deer, sheep, caribou, etc. Just makes me feel better shooting the bigger animals with a 30 cal vs. 6.5.

You should have a bare rifle weight in mind so you don't say after it's scoped it's still to heavy ?
Ultralight- up to 6.5lbs scoped
Lightweight- 6.5-7.5lbs scoped
Standard weight 7.5-9lbs scoped
of course fitting into those categories depends entirely on scope&mount weight
My latest 6.5-284 build is 6lbs 9oz scoped with a Zeiss V4 4-16x44 scoped

Personally I would go with the razor action (I don't see the need for the integrated rail) and use a trigger tech. This is all based off of personal preference and what I have built.
6 1/4 lb 300 Rum bare rifle

Razor Ti
McMillan Game Hunter Edge
CA Carbon Barrel
CA Ti Slayer Brake
Trigger Tech Diamond
Hawkins Rings
Little over 8lbs w ATACR 4-16x42

upload_2018-9-22_10-46-15.jpeg

Only thing I'd change, go with a defiance medium action. Have the chamber set up with 200-225 freebore to run 215 bergers. With quality brass, you can push the short mag within 50fps of the regular win mag when bullets are seated correctly.

6 1/4 lb 300 Rum bare rifle

Razor Ti
McMillan Game Hunter Edge
CA Carbon Barrel
CA Ti Slayer Brake
Trigger Tech Diamond
Hawkins Rings
Little over 8lbs w ATACR 4-16x42

You've got to be 8 1/4lbs with that 30oz scope, plus the scope rings. Close to 8 3/4lbs with bipod.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.