Mountain Goat Hunt-what tripod to buy?

sjones

I was lucky and drew a mountain goat tag here in MT. I have a old tripod that i seldom use and wanted to know what light weight tripod has worked for you backpack hunters. I have a Kowa 883 spotting scope. Thanks

I won't recommend a tripod as I don't have a clue on the LWT pods. However, if you're going to haul it up a mountain make sure it can do double duty as a rest for your rifle. Swapping out the head for an ARCA adapter, Bog Deathgrip, or Hog Saddle and leave the other shooting rests at home, pack not included. ;)

Hunted goats did deep in AK for the past 45yrs. Still at it.

I've never packed in with a tripod or a bipod. Unnecessary bulk and weight. Your best light weight tripod could be..., none.

Atlas

Attachments

• F3E26498-B79F-400B-AD7E-6E9CF794DE5E.png
    F3E26498-B79F-400B-AD7E-6E9CF794DE5E.png
    107.6 KB · Views: 78
This doubles as a walking stick , it's very light and adjustable
Would work good sitting on side hill , .or laying down.
Not a tripod , but an alternative.
BB402500-8AD0-4CB1-B915-4A9CD820ED8A.png

You have a large spotter.Thats much harder to hold.I use to use my old outdoorsman on my 773. It was the smallest model and maybe 2 # Ive had for as long as they been around, price has doubled.I have a cheap AOKA carbon, its just over 1# and goers to 30''Its fine for my 60 Leupold gold ring.Probably handle the 65 Swarovski. I have a adapter also to shoot off if needed for my rail, but run atlas for most shooting

Check out Really Right Stuff. There's some carbon fiber ones on Amazon that are almost identical to RRS for a fraction of the price. If you slap an Arca mount on your rifle you'll have a pretty solid rest to shoot off too which is a big plus in goat country.

Best advice, carry as little as possible. This was the most physically demanding hunt I have ever participated. Water and energy bars are your friend. Goat country is rocky and open. You should be able to use your backpack as a rifle rest and support for bino's or a spotting scope. Do not carry both.

Outdoorsmans. If I am glassing I like the vertical extension for the easy elevation because it makes my neck happy. They are really purpose built for hunting, so you can easily get a shooting rest or other attachment that is quick to swap out if you need to shoot off it. Otherwise if you want light weight carbon to just attach a ball head too I have an FLM which is great. Look at the Slik Pro if budget is small.

Recent Posts