Mountain goat bullet selection.

I've taken two goats - one in BC in 2017 and one in Utah in 2020. Both were taken with a 6.5mm round. My goat in 2017 (BC) was taken using 140 grain Berger VLD from a 6.5CM. It took 2 rounds but both were lethal. In 2020, I used my 6.5PRC and I used a Hornady 147gr ELD-M. The shot was lethal, but I put another in the goat to anchor him. In my experience the 147gr ELD-M put the animal down faster (goat went maybe 30 yards in 2020, while the 2017 goat went ~150 yards.

Attachments

• DSC02965.JPG
    DSC02965.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 73
  • goat1.jpg
    goat1.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 70
It must be my lucky year, I drew a mountain goat tag for my home state of Wyoming! I have heard these goats are hardy animals. I plan on using a 6.5 PRC for this hunt. Just wondering opinions on a good, consistent bullet to use for this hunt?
My grandson and I have extensive first had experience with Nosler 129 and 142 Accubond LR with antelope deer and feral hogs with our 260 AI's. I would be well suited in your situation to take a Mountain Goat with these bullets. There are certainly others that will work but be sure and use premium bullets that will hold together. I shot a mountain goat in BC in 1985 with factory 200 grain 338 Win Mag Winchester ammo that was superbly accurate but short on being a good choice on the either the Mountain Caribou or Mountain Goat that I harvested, multiple behind the shoulder hits on both before succumbing to the ground.

The worst bullet failure I've ever experienced by far was a 140 Nosler Balistic tip in a 7mm-08 on a whitetail buck about 25 years ago.
Actually I gotta rephrase this, about 30 years ago when the Barnes X Bullets came out I tried them in my 280 Rem and a buddy tried them in his 270 Weatherby.
He shot a bear that got away after hours of tracking and we just attributed it to bad shot about month later I shot a buck with them that just stood there like it wasn't even hit finally the 5th shot it ran away we found it about an hour later dead and skinned it out looked like 5 pencil holes all the way through.
After that debacle and the Ballistic tip fiasco blowing up I went back to the Partion untill about 15 years ago when I started getting into LR hunting I used Bergers but will still shoot Partitions in my 338WM.

If you know goat country, you know vertical real estate! I would hate to think of the thousands of hours hunters have spent in this environment trying to locate a broken horn lost from a goat falling on a long drop, in the North American mountain ranges! If I chose to do it all over again I would choose a copper bullet that is extremely accurate in my rifle and drive that projectile through the shoulders, thus anchoring a Mountain goat in its present location.

+1 on the 147eldm. Performed perfectly for me on a mule deer. Small entrance through the lungs and golf ball sized exit.
No tracking required.
I'm glad you had success with the 147 eldm. We used the 147 eldm on 2 white tails and had poor results out of a 6.5/284. The first shot was behind the front shoulder at 150 yds and the deer turned and ran about a 100yds standing there. We thought that maybe it was a miss so we touched off a second shot and the deer ran another 50 yds and then dropped but was still alive once we got to it and it then expired. Upon skinning the 2 shots both impacted the deer behind the front shoulders creating only a pencil size hole. I then thought it was a fluke and tried the same thing on another and I found some blood but never found the animal. So we went to Berger's and had no issues since. Everything thus far has been one shot one kill from bear to whitetails.