Mountain goat bullet selection.

It must be my lucky year, I drew a mountain goat tag for my home state of Wyoming! I have heard these goats are hardy animals. I plan on using a 6.5 PRC for this hunt. Just wondering opinions on a good, consistent bullet to use for this hunt?
I drew a goat tag in 2008 in Montana for the Highwoods. I shot mine at 60 yds in the timber with a 264 Winchester magnum and the 120 grn Barnes TSX. Complete penetration and a dead mountain goat in late November with a winter hide. I reccomend the Barnes TSX for everything. Happy Hunting.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210225-225854_Photos.jpg
    Screenshot_20210225-225854_Photos.jpg
    101.9 KB · Views: 63
Hammered a couple big mule deer and it was devastating and excellent performance.
So they penetrate? What would you think that they are comparable to? What caliber did you try them in? At what distance and velocity? I know I am asking for a lot but very curious as I was informed by hornady not to use them.

It must be my lucky year, I drew a mountain goat tag for my home state of Wyoming! I have heard these goats are hardy animals. I plan on using a 6.5 PRC for this hunt. Just wondering opinions on a good, consistent bullet to use for this hunt?
You just opened a can of worms up!!!!!

I really like the 124 grain Hammers. I shot a Scimitar Horned Oryx with this bullet a couple of months ago. They have the thickest and toughest hide of any animal I have ever killed. One shot - he took 2 steps backwards and fell over.

They are relatively this skinned. They don't seem to be to tough. Shot placement is key. With your cartridge velocity I'd consider a tougher/bonded bullet to minimize meat and hide damage

I strongly recommend the Cutting Edge HTC bullets for long range hunting. Recently harvested a book billy with a single shot at 815 yards. Bullet performance was absolutely perfect.

So they penetrate? What would you think that they are comparable to? What caliber did you try them in? At what distance and velocity? I know I am asking for a lot but very curious as I was informed by hornady not to use them.
6.5 prc. 3100. 300 and 390 on mule deer bucks. 5500 - 6000 ft elevation. Pass through and 2" exit. Absolutely destroyed the insides. Boiler room shots. I've killed yotes and wolves too but the deer kills is more representative of the goat body

6.5 prc. 3100. 300 and 390 on mule deer bucks. 5500 - 6000 ft elevation. Pass through and 2" exit. Absolutely destroyed the insides. Boiler room shots. I've killed yotes and wolves too but the deer kills is more representative of the goat body
What would you think about on elk from what you are seeing?

No experience in shooting goats in your neck of the woods. I've shot tahr here in NZ - my personal experience with tahr is immobilize them so they end up somewhere that you can't retrieve them.
As with one of the earlier comments- spine or smash their shoulders!
Good luck with your hunt mate.

I shot a bighorn a couple of years ago with a 6.5 CM and a 147 gr ELD-M at a little over 400 yards. Although the bullet was going a rather anemic 2625 FPS, I knew I was going to get whatever I shot at (that confidence thing means a lot). That particular bullet is pretty splashy and the ram dropped in his tracks. Even though he was on the "flat" spot on the hillside, he still rolled from the blue x until he got caught up in a lone tree at the red x. Had it not been for that tree, he would have likely reached the creek.

Re Hammers - I ordered some late last week and got them across the country early this week.

@BS Shooter has a good point about hide damage. The 147 gr ELD-M didn't exit my ram on a broadside shot - what was left of it was
just under the hide. A whitetail doe I shot with a 181 gr Hammer going 3275 FPS had a lot of internal damage but a small exit hole. I suspect that was the result of the petals shedding in the chest cavity.

View attachment 272867
This reminds me of ID