Mount & scope for new Savage 111 L.R.H. 300 Win Mag

SofaKing

Finally bought a new Savage 111 Long Range Hunter in 300 win mag from Cabelas. They were $100 off :). Primary purpose will be LRH for game in Wyoming and hill country of Wisconsin gun) Now as for a scope base I've seen people using a rail type mount. Is it worth buying one with 20 moa? Or will a standard one suffice? As for scope minimum power looking at 5-15 and up to a 6-20 ish. Not too sure about mildots or not. But turrets seem to be a good idea regardless. Looking to spend $400-500 on a scope.

As far as the rail goes, a lot depends on how far you are hoping to shoot. A standard rail should get you to 1,000 yards or so with the 300 Win. The other thing that can help you decide is to know what yardage you want to zero your rifle at. For example, if you get a 20 MOA rail, you might not be able to zero at 100 yards (depending on the scope).

As far as a scope goes in that price range, I would suggest a Leupold VX-2 with CDS or M1 turrets. The glass is about as good as you can get in that price range, and the turrets really help out if you are dialing for the longer ranges. I have owned that as well as a Nikon Monarch, which is also in that price range, and the difference in glass between the two is substantial.

Found a used Bushnell Elite 6500 4.5-30x50 in my price range. It doesn't have mil dot reticle but has there DOA reticle. Anyone have experience with these scopes?

I have yet to come across a scope that will not zero @ 100 with a 20moa rail, i'm not saying it can't happen but, i've never seen it.

I would suggest a Murphy Precision picatinny rail for your L/A Savage.

MurphyPrecision.com - Scope Bases, Rings, and Assorted Shooting Accessories.

Cameron is great to work with & his products are second to none.

That Bushy should do you fine, the Elite line has a pretty good reputation.

t

I have yet to come across a scope that will not zero @ 100 with a 20moa rail, i'm not saying it can't happen but, i've never seen it.

t

I have only had one, but I was able to get it settled 2" high at 100 yards, which is typically what I do anyway, so it was okay. I am guessing if you couldn't zero at 100, you could get close but I wasn't positive.

i just purchased the vortex viper hs-t 4-16 for my 300 wm and it has some good glass. it is my 3rd vortex. I can't recommend vortex enuff great scope for the money.

i also put a 20 moa rail on probably didn't need it but i like to have all my rifles set up the same so i can swap scopes if i wish.

I'll second the hst it is a dang nice scope for the money and has several features that can't be found in like priced scopes, as for the rail I would go with the 20 moa it'll give you the option of really stretching out her legs if you ever need to scratch that itch!!!

I am a big proponent of steel bases & rings (or titanium). I no longer buy aluminum components.

I don't know that there are any bad ones out there, i'm sure they exsist but I can't think of any.

Manufacturers that are good to go: (no particular order)

NightForce
Leupold
Murphy Precision
Seekins
Badger Ordnance
Near MFG
US Optics
Spuhr
American Rifle Company

t

So I don't have experience with exactly that model Bushnell scope but others, 6500 2.5X16 and Elite Tactical in 6x24 and they have pretty decent glass and all mine track great. Have shoot with them out to 900. My experience is very positive and for the money I think they are a pretty good value.

I have a savage 111 custom in 6.5/284. I used a standard slope rail, with Burris Zee Signature rings, -.010 front insert, +/010 rear insert, and can dial out to beyond 1250 yards pushing a berger vld 140 @ 2870fps, 50 degree F, 1000foot altitude with my Vortex HSLR 4-16x FFP. This is my 3rd Vortex rifle scope, and I also have one of their spotters and cannot say enough good things about their products.

Bushnell elite didn't work out was a a.l. Scam. So I'm looking a vortex viper pa 6.5-20x50 or x44 maybe the viper hs 4-16x44. I don't know if a 20 moa base is still a good idea with these scope options. If so what height rings for the 30mm tube with or with out 20 moa base?

I'll second the Murphy precision base. Can't say enough good things about those guys. And their products are top notch. Scope wise I'm becoming quite the vortex and SWFA fan. Have had great luck with both.

Ordered the vortex viper 6.5-20x50 mildot now to figure out what rings to get.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.