Mount problem on new tikka t3x

cbrslider

Good morning. I have a new Tikka T3x rifle in 6.5 Creedmoor and I'm having trouble mounting the base to the rifle. I have a DNZ Game Reaper mount and the screws for the mount won't work. They barely start into the receiver, then won't turn anymore. I don't want to force them.

I've cleaned out the threads and had some of the plastic plugs still in them but still no luck. I have a 6-48 tap ordered(only one I didn't have in my kito_O).

Anyone have any suggestions or run into this before?

Thanks for your time.
-Ray

I would check the screws Dia. And a Thread gauge. If the dia. is close but the count (tpi) is different they will try to start. There is a reason! Go slow and you can figgure it out.
Are the tapped holes in the rifle what they claim they are? Metric?

EGW has some suggestions in the FAQ
https://www.egwguns.com/mount-faq

As mentioned in these suggestions, the serrated rail caused me the same problem as you are having. I took a real small, fine file and just barely touched the sharp edges of the holes and was able to get them in without issue. I love the Tikka but this was frustrating to me to have a new rifle that I had to do anything to just to get my scope mounted. I have had 0 issues and until I read your question, had actually forgotten about it. Good luck

Own a few Tikkas...( left handed...not a lot of good options out there..) and never experienced this before. But - thanks for the heads up, will watch carefully when setting up the next one.

Tikka T3. How to know which screws are needed?
Guns made after 2003 use 6-48 screws. Guns before 2003 use 3.5 x .5 metric screws.

I have received my mount for the Tikka T3 but the screws will not start. What do I do? Did I order the wrong screws?
The diameter of the different-sized screws is within .001". The thread pitch of the screws is within .001" as well. If the screw you have will not start, neither size will start. This is happening for the following reason:

Tikka T3 receivers are spotted, countersunk, drilled and tapped. Then the top of the receiver is serrated. This can create a problem, as it distorts the metal where the threads start.

Also, the T3 comes with plugs in the scope mount holes, as the gun maker intends for you to use rings on the top dovetail. Oftentimes removing the plugs leaves plastic in the threads, making it difficult to start the screws in the holes.

Using a 6-48 tap, tap the threads to remove the debris. Once you pick out the plastic and start to thread the screw in, the incorrect size screw will begin to get tighter at about 3-4 turns. If this happens, you will need the other screw.

Had this issue in my T3x .260 Rem. The issue was plastic left in the threads upon removal of the plastic plug inserts. I put a little gun oil in the holes, twisted in the stick from a Q-tip until it was really tight, then unthreaded the plastic out of the threads. Then hit it with a drop of degreaser and a patch wound around a Q-tip stick to dry it out. After that, the screws went in just fine. They need an aluminum plug for those, the plastic leaves the threads when it comes out.

Thanks for all the responses. I really appreciate the help. I went ahead and cleaned the holes out really well. I had to order a 6-48 tap since out of the case of 25 different taps, I didn't have that oneo_O! I chased the holes and got more plastic plug debris out. I only twisted the tap in with my fingers and it cleaned up the holes nicely. I then was able to easily twist the mount screws in.

Thanks again everyone! Now it's time to get out and put some rounds down range!:D
-Ray

Don't know if this is of any help, but after encountering multiple similar situations with the threads of both bolts and holes I invested in a very good USA made course and fine tap and die set from 1mm-20mm and size 6 nuts to 3/4"
Having the correct tap saved the day cleaning up the slightly buggered up threads of my Knight ML where the BP screwed into.

call DNZ and see if they sent the right rail and screws. Send them back with a note as to the problem. I have over a dozen t3&t3x's and have NEVER had this problem. Good luck.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.