mount opions please

earlcurtis67

I thought I had this planned out better but I don't like the way this turned out, I would like to here some thoughts on getting the scope lower.
The scope is an. HST 30mm. EGW base and medium vortex rings, sitting on a L/A S-2. I would prefer to keep the one piece base, but then if I use "low" rings the mag. dial looks like it will touch on the rear of the base. If I were to scrape the one piece base and go with a two piece set up, I would need to find off set rings to accommodate the eye relief. All of this came in the mail today so I quickly put it all together to set eye relief and check the ring height before I went to work
Hell, I may have just answered my own question but I wanted to get some options before I proceeded

Attachments

• vortex 1.JPG
    vortex 1.JPG
    55.2 KB · Views: 45
  • vortex 2.JPG
    vortex 2.JPG
    47.1 KB · Views: 60
  • vortex 3.JPG
    vortex 3.JPG
    51.1 KB · Views: 43
I'm glad you posted this. I was just getting ready to ask about thoughts on the EGW base. Interested in peoples thoughts.

I'm with FEENIX. Low rings will get the center line of the scope closer to the barrel AND look nicer. Also, are you sure the eye relief is correct. Usually the rear end of the scope is further back on most rifles. have a look at a few... The rear of the scope is usually back about where the knuckle of your thumb would be on the rifle. Your's seems to be a lot more forward of that position.

Lastly, you could go with low rings and grind off the last two slots on the rail. That would give the clearance for the scope scope ring and maintain the eye relief as is.

I took my time this morning and set the rifle up on the rest and rear bag, I was able to move it back a little more but I may need to remove a little from the rear of the base as was suggested. I'll send the rings back to optics planet and exchange them for a set of Warne low rings. I dont particularly care for the way the scope "snaps" in the vortex rings. The EGW base however is a solid peice and fits the reciever perfectly and will not need to be bedded , when I first took it out of the packaging I thought it was steel instead of aluminum. I'll post some more pics when I get it all put together and mounted, thanks fellas

I took my time this morning and set the rifle up on the rest and rear bag, I was able to move it back a little more but I may need to remove a little from the rear of the base as was suggested. I'll send the rings back to optics planet and exchange them for a set of Warne low rings. I dont particularly care for the way the scope "snaps" in the vortex rings. The EGW base however is a solid peice and fits the reciever perfectly and will not need to be bedded , when I first took it out of the packaging I thought it was steel instead of aluminum. I'll post some more pics when I get it all put together and mounted, thanks fellas

I honestly don't think you need to do anything with the base. I have a SWFA 30 MM 5-25x50 FFP set on medium 30 MM Burris signature zee rings (they don't make low) 20 MOA EGW HD on my Savage 11 FNCS .300 WSM. It looks like too much gap but it allows the scope cap to be installed perfectly.

Attachments

• SWFA 5-25x50 SS HDFPP 2 of 3.jpg
    SWFA 5-25x50 SS HDFPP 2 of 3.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 63
I just mounted a Vortex PST 6-24 using a EGW 20moa base and Seekins low rings. I had to file about a 16th of an inch off the very back of the base for the dial to clear. Eye relief is perfect.
Let me know if you want a pic for reference.
z

IMO, I'd stick with the medium rings and enjoy the rest of the show. But if ya gotta have rings then it looks to me like finding someone with a mil that can take down the back portion of the base that is likely to interfere with the scops adjusting rings is really all that's needed. Shortenig that rear screw and countersinking the hole for the screw head, if necessary for refitting the base, is no big deal.

I just mounted a Vortex PST 6-24 using a EGW 20moa base and Seekins low rings. I had to file about a 16th of an inch off the very back of the base for the dial to clear. Eye relief is perfect.
Let me know if you want a pic for reference.
z

Added pic...hopefully this shows just how little needs to be removed & w/o affecting the integrity of the mount in anyway...

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    113.5 KB · Views: 66
IMO, I'd stick with the medium rings and enjoy the rest of the show. But if ya gotta have rings then it looks to me like finding someone with a mil that can take down the back portion of the base that is likely to interfere with the scops adjusting rings is really all that's needed. Shortenig that rear screw and countersinking the hole for the screw head, if necessary for refitting the base, is no big deal.

I had thought of that, but I'm used to cheek weld from the previous scope and would prefer to keep it as close as possible

thanks ZDR for the pics,

E

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.