Most versatile chambering for handloaders?

I already have a .300 Ackley... I have zero need for anything Hornady-based.

You could look at it as a 30-375 Ruger imp.. ;) After all thats all Hornady did. Here's the thing. I do not think I will ever own a Hornady OR Nosler based cartridge. Not saying there junk. New fads come and go. I think there's will stay. Just have no interest in them. I have thought about reaming my 06 to the 300 sherman though.

You could look at it as a 30-375 Ruger imp.. ;) After all thats all Hornady did. Here's the thing. I do not think I will ever own a Hornady OR Nosler based cartridge. Not saying there junk. New fads come and go. I think there's will stay. Just have no interest in them. I have thought about reaming my 06 to the 300 sherman though.
The .375 Ruger was a joint-effort with Hornady from the beginning... So, it's still Hornady-based no matter how you spin it.

For the handloader with cast lead, jacketed and solid projectiles to choose from, not relying on manufactured ammo.

From distances of 25-50 yards to say 400.

If you could only choose one rifle (chambering) for an all-around hunter (moose, elk, black/brown bear, deer and hogs), what would you choose?
This is a subject for debate that has gone on for decades…if not centuries.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Having a limited budget, before I bought my first high power rifle, I read everything I could on "Best All-Round Rifles" and "Most Versatile Chamberings" and was led (by numerous sources) to the 375 H&H Magnum.

I saved my shekels and purchased a Ruger #1 Tropical Rifle chambered in 375 H&H (which is still one of the most accurate rifles in my safe).

Yep, I played with any and every projectile and powder combination out there including FFFg black powder under the Sierra 300 grain spitzer boat tail!

Almost everything I tried was MOA or better but the absolute most accurate load I found was that same 300 grain bullet over a slightly compressed load of IMR4350.

Now, almost 40 years later, that load is all that gets used. It has been used on snakes, rabbits, crows, deer, tin cans, clay pigeons (resting on a dirt bank) and everything else I've had opportunity to hunt or shoot at! Were I to pursue Moose or Bears, I would try some Partitions or maybe monolithic solids instead of my beloved Boat Tail.

I suggest you consider realistically what you will be shooting at most often and select a caliber with efficient (balletically speaking), low cost projectiles that are easily had. Those beautiful 300 grain Sierras are easy to come by, but they don't come cheap in a box of 50!

Good luck and remember to have fun!

I just have no need for it, plus, why complicate things? I can just build a .30x28 Nosler Improved 40º (most-likely scenario), or a straight .30 Nosler and be way ahead of the game.

And the main reason IMHO is brass. There is better options then nosler brass. Someday the same thing will happen to the 300 PRC.

Everyone entitled to what they like or do not like when it comes to guns and ammo and calibers. The main problem comes in when people take it beyond that. I am sure we can see eye to eye there.

Any way it comes down to this. Enjoy your guns and I will enjoy mine. Deal!!??

And the main reason IMHO is brass. There is better options then nosler brass. Someday the same thing will happen to the 300 PRC.

Everyone entitled to what they like or do not like when it comes to guns and ammo and calibers. The main problem comes in when people take it beyond that. I am sure we can see eye to eye there.

Any way it comes down to this. Enjoy your guns and I will enjoy mine. Deal!!??
I never found where we were debating anything... So, I don't see where there is a deal to be made. However, I will agree that everyone has their preferences, so there is no right or wrong answer...Just personal conjecture and perception.

I never found where we were debating anything... So, I don't see where there is a deal to be made. However, I will agree that everyone has their preferences, so there is no right or wrong answer...Just personal conjecture and perception.

I agree. I did not see it either. And did not post what I did because I thought I did. It was more or less this is how I feel.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.