Most temp stable powders for 06 and Mag size cases

royinidaho

Shooting RL22 in 270 Win. From summer to winter temps velocity falls nearly a couple of hundred fps.

Also shoot 338 Win. Use RL powder also. Suspect same trend.

Will be buiding a 333 RUM long range rifle one of these first days.

What is the most temp stable powder or what are others doing to compensate for temperature changes?

I would suggest H4831SC, if you are looking for just one powder for both cartridges. I have used it in both of them with good results, it will also work in the 338 RUM but H1000 and Retumbo will give you higher velocities.
JMHO,
Wayne

From what I have seen the new Extreme powders from Hodgdon are very temp stabil.

I've had good luck with IMR4831 and H4350. I may be having temp problems with H380 though. I think I read somewhere that H380 was pretty sensitive to temps. Anyone else hear this?

H380 is very temp sensitive in my experience as well. But I think all powders, extreme or not, are temp sensitive to some degree. Ambient air temp will change the burning rate of powder regardless of what coatings are used. I use Hodgdon's extreme line H4831sc in my wildcat .22 all year long, and it has to be loaded close to max to attain any accuracy. I have to "chase" that certain pressure from 90 degrees to 35 degrees, and I usually have to load up about 2 grains for this time of year (winter)! That might be less of a change than if I use RL19, but it still changes.

Some of the Hodgdon powders like H4831SC & H4350 are Extreme powders designed to be temp consistent. Also, the RamShot series are very stable. You might try different primers at different temps to see what gives the most consistent velocities. Often I've found that Magnum primers work better in real cold temperatures, but you must check to see if you have pressure problems in the heat. That is why I try to develop my loads at the highest temperature that I would likely hunt under. Good luck. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts