Most kills in a day

Rich Coyle

When shooting ground squirrels I never kept track. I remember if I went a minute without a shot I noticed a slight case of boredom.

But I have a friend who does keep track. (Eat your heart out, frody.) In one eight hour session he killed 834! He's about 6'2" tall. He started with a. 22 pistol and literally aimed down for awhile. He killed about 150 before his arms were tired.
Then he switched to a 10/22. After a few hundred more, he had to switch to his .22 target rifle. He killed everything that was above ground out to 70-80 yards. The target rifle, he placed on a camera tripod. That allowed him to kill clear out to 150 yards on targets as large as 2" wide and 8" tall for a monster.

He kept track of his hit percentage: 90% kills.

Three white tails are the most deer
E8A90589-7963-47A9-B76F-1E834C47D96E.jpeg
I've taken in one day, actually they were taken in only half a day!

10 whitetails in a depredation hunt. All with .280Encore and wish I didn't sell it! Shooter responsible for field dressing. Dangggg! We killed a lot that day and all went to food pantry except for a standing list of needy families. You thank God when a family comes in to take a deer and you realize this is the only meat they will have for quite some time. One particular family grabbed my heart in so many ways. Husband, wife, little boy & girl. Old beat up Chevy PU with holes everywhere. Wife is crying and kids are jumping up and down clapping when we loaded a deer for them. I asked the man if he has a freezer and he said yes. Enough for 2, nods yes. We tossed another deer into his truck and tears rolled down his cheeks. It was all I could do to stay composed.

Sorry for hijack but the 10 deer reminded me of this.

Does 500-600 rats in night shoot in an open dump in late 60's count? Went thru 2 bricks of 22LR. Flashlight taped to top of Glenfield Model 80? Most shots 25-30' so high kill rate. Looking back remember rats running over boots and still get willies!
I grew up shooting rats in a Railroad switching yard and the Lackawanna River in Taylor, PA. Never counted how many in day, but my dad would by several bricks of Federal LR hollow points @ $5.00 a brick every month. Savage Model 37 Pump and H&R 999 pistol @.01 cent a shot. 😁
49 Quail on a Plantation in SE GA, 22 Chucks in NE PA.

I shot a buck and a bear in the same day, never got a ton of tags and don't really small game hunt so I'm pretty sure my high total is 2. Unless you count birds, I did get several pheasant and chukar on an upland hunt earlier this year probably somewhere around 12 birds.

Great stories above. I've never been rat or PD hunting, but it sounds like a fun time. Not too long ago I did have a skirmish with squirrels invading a small garden in our back yard. The squirrels were taking all the green tomatoes off the vines as well as eating holes in the new watermelons. In around 30 minutes a shot 13 squirrels from my deck.

I had a hunting trip I had 2 days of 2 kills each day (4 total).

On day 1, I filled my deer tag. On the way back to town well after dark I got one with my truck. Technically the deer attacked my truck. Ran right into the side of it, scared the crap out of me when he hit me broadside. Deer Score: 1 me, 1 deer.

On day 3, on the way up to the hunting spot I got a deer with my truck to start my day. I filled my elk tag that afternoon, so 1 deer and 1 elk were killed by me that day. Deer Score 1 me, 2 deer.

My truck was as accurate as me that week, good thing insurance covered it :). To this day, i think the deer got the best of me that weekend, but they didn't live to tell the story….

A couple of shooting sports are derived primarily for high volume shooting. Driven pheasants in England, Scotland and Mexico come to mind. The volume of shooting is high enough that you have two shotguns and an assistant to load one while you are shooting the other. Gloves are mandatory! A good day might see a decent shot score 150+ birds.

A similar setup with driven ducks netted 130 mallards in 20 timed minutes of shooting. The biggest hazard was getting flattened by falling ducks! Not a joke….

Rabbit hunting at night in the UK is another high volume affair. You, a loader assistant and 2 guns again - but on the back of a Land Rover with a driver and a light handler. Pure pandemonium for a couple of hours. Plus a double lead puzzle - you're tearing through a dark field at 30 or so mph and the rabbits are running the other way. Then, just to keep it sporting you can only shoot the rabbits. If you hit a Hare there is a 100 pound fine for each one. (US $175. Back then.). A good night would see 300+ rabbits at a go per rover. Huge fun and the farmers loved you for it. Good thing shells were cheap back then.

Oh yes, just for the record - those shoots were all with double guns - no auto loaders allowed. The very definition of fast and furious shooting.

My wife and I had a few high count days in Tanzania a few years ago. Just us 2 in camp - but over 70 hungry crew to feed everyday. More than a few busy days saw 3 Cape buffalo, 4 or 5 impala, a couple of zebra and a wildebeest or 2. That's not to mention the warthogs, baboons, hyenas and other smaller creatures that took us for granted.

I can say that when you have 3 Cape buffalo on the ground at the same time the plan for the day gets a bit complicated! And this happened more than once… ( we each had 8 buffalo tags for our hunt.)