Most inaccurate rifles ever.

Huh.....My Remy 7600 prints under an inch with my reloads, as well as my brothers and dads. But maybe we got three lucky ones. Pretty handy guns in the brush. Mine doesnt care for boattails and balistic tips, but throw a flat based soft point in there and she loves it.

Huh.....My Remy 7600 prints under an inch with my reloads, as well as my brothers and dads. But maybe we got three lucky ones. Pretty handy guns in the brush. Mine doesnt care for boattails and balistic tips, but throw a flat based soft point in there and she loves it.

90% of the ones I've seen shoot pretty two inch groups. But I did see one up in Michigan once that was a rock solid 1.38" gun with 165 grain hand loads and a lot of rework to it.
gary

Obviously scrap metal military guns as already mentioned like AK's, & SKS's, & the ol 6.5 jap from WW-ll.
As far as modern huntin rifles go IMO, Rem tops the list with some of thier autiloader, & pump "masterpieces".
Rem semi auto 740, 742, & 7400
Rem pump 760, & 7600
Now, of course, there were a few accurate ones made. The sun even shines on a dogs butt sometimes. But as a whole, those were some of the most wildly in-accurate p.o.s. rifles ever assembled. I know, cause I owned one, & know a few other folks that did, or still do too. They're all minute of Volkswagen at 100yds on a good day.
I've hered of a few single shot New England Firearms type rifles that'd give the Rem autos, & pumps a run for thier money in the accuracy (or LACK there of) department tho.

I'm sure every major firearms manufacturer has made some lemons. Some models of some manufacturers rifles are complete hit, or miss too, (some of the Ruger's mentioned in earlier posts) but the Rem's mentioned have been pretty darn consistant in the joke for accuracy race.

just to add to your post. The old 7.7 Jap rifle used in WWII was a stronger action than most military rifles of the day. It pretty came down to a better grade of steel if I remember right
gary

My brand new Remington 700 VSSF II 220 swift. Upon breaking it in I was getting good groups and it opened up to 6 inches. 6 inches. Switched scopes checked all torques on all screws etc. Sad sad sad. Sent it back to remington and they recrowned barrel - looks like ground out right at the rifling. The lapped the barrel and did something else the returning gunsmith said but he wouldn't explain it. oh well. they sent it back with 1 to 1.5 inch groups. Hey thats better than my 6 inch groups. Put my Jewell 1 pound trigger in it. Shortened the front action screw that was now too long to close the bolt. How does that happen? interesting. Got a barrel deresonator and got groups down to under 1/2 inch. Now we are talking ok but not great. Didn't like the the deresonator - worried I would move it so I took it off. Groups opened back up. So I took a tube of silicone caulk and filled the grooves in the barrel level with the outside of the barrel. REALLY. Torqured it all back up and get the 1/2 or smaller groups again. Made loads now to fit magazine even though the chamber is so long when I measured the bullets would fall out of the case. SAD SAD. I like a varmint gun for coyotes that is not a single shot so went with magazine length. Good quality accuracy assurance. Ya right. Going to shoot it out and put on new barrel. Interesting learning lesson.

Well, you have me beat. My Rem 700 SPS in 7STW shoots 6" groups with anything but 180 VLD's. Those will shoot <1", provided I have forearm pressure under the barrel. If not it's 3" on a good day.
My Kimber Montana 7-08 is a 4" gun so far. Biggest *** I ever had in my hands. It's getting barrel pressure tonight.

I had an old Russian rifle from ww11, 6.62, the bullets would tumble when I fired it.
the damage it would do to a Deer was unbelievable. I only tried it once my Dad was mad as hell that I used it.

My brand new Remington 700 VSSF II 220 swift. Upon breaking it in I was getting good groups and it opened up to 6 inches. 6 inches. Switched scopes checked all torques on all screws etc. Sad sad sad. Sent it back to remington and they recrowned barrel - looks like ground out right at the rifling. The lapped the barrel and did something else the returning gunsmith said but he wouldn't explain it. oh well. they sent it back with 1 to 1.5 inch groups. Hey thats better than my 6 inch groups. Put my Jewell 1 pound trigger in it. Shortened the front action screw that was now too long to close the bolt. How does that happen? interesting. Got a barrel deresonator and got groups down to under 1/2 inch. Now we are talking ok but not great. Didn't like the the deresonator - worried I would move it so I took it off. Groups opened back up. So I took a tube of silicone caulk and filled the grooves in the barrel level with the outside of the barrel. REALLY. Torqured it all back up and get the 1/2 or smaller groups again. Made loads now to fit magazine even though the chamber is so long when I measured the bullets would fall out of the case. SAD SAD. I like a varmint gun for coyotes that is not a single shot so went with magazine length. Good quality accuracy assurance. Ya right. Going to shoot it out and put on new barrel. Interesting learning lesson.

and there I was whining and crying because my 700VS was shooting 4.25" groups with hand loads! My throat was so long that I could have shot 100 grain bullets in a .223! But on the otherhand you have to realize that Remington and folks like Savage have to cut chambers for the entire bullet range out there, so you have to also take that in mind. I once bought a used Ruger 77 off a used gun rack that looked pretty good (so much for looks). After giving the rifle a really good cleaning job I started to wipe out the inleting in the stock, and saw part of a matchbook cover where the front screw went thru it. I left it out and the rifle shot six inch shotgun style groups!. Went home sobbing as I got took on this one. It was late Saturday night and I wanted to fix that bad spot, but didn't have any Devcon laying about. I found a tube of Polyquick stick (a two part epoxy putty), and rebedded the front screw with that stuff. Next time out I shot 3/4" groups with the same loads. I finally got it down to half inch groups. Not real bad for a standard light barrel 6mm.
gary

The most inaccurate rifle i ever shot was a smle 303 brit. it was probably because of the many years of neglect that the rifle had seen or the thousands of corrosive primers that had been used but all i could ever get out of it was about 2 1/2''.

My picks are:

A ruger hawkeye,...after 2weeks of solid load testing a 1.5" group was its best.

A ruger m77 marK II, ......VEEEERY finicky on what it will shoot.

A browning a-bolt stainless steel stalker,....well, it's the reason i hate any rifle with a 60 degree bolt lift, it was horrible in every way you could think of.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.