Most efficient load development method

newstwshooter

I'm not a complete newbie to reloading but need a more efficient way to develop loads in a couple new rifles I've bought. My old method used up a lot of powder and lead. I would take a favorite brand bullet and load powder in .5 gr increments starting a min and working up. I would load 5 of each. This method is expensive and time consuming.

I did find some very good loads for a couple of rifles but didn't even get to the part of trying different primers or overall lengths.

Any and all help would be greatly appreciated.

I don't like using it because the likelyhood of human error distorting your data, but a ladder, if done properly, would probably be your best option.

I usually find a load within 7 shots while preforming an Audette Ladder Test. Then I will verify if the potential load is viable with a 3 shot group. I'll keep my eye on the load for imprecision during practice.

If I switch primers, or any component for that matter, I begin load development anew.

I don't mess with COL. If I have a cannelure I seat the bullet to that point. If there is no cannelure, I'll seat the bullet according to my manual.

With my scoped bolt actions, and the proper components; I'll find a sub-.5MOA load by simply adjusting charge weights.

Had your exact dilemma... so last spring started using ladder tests (as mentioned earlier) Have used this method on 5 rifles/loads since then and seems to do good.

I load a 10 round ladder - all .5 gr apart. Load 6-9 more of the best one and re-verify accuracy at "0" range with 3 shots and use the others to verify long range accuracy/validate muzzle velocity (+600 yds).

What I do;
Perform Berger's seating depth test with 1st fire-forming of new brass.
Test primers/striking with best seating so far on 2nd fire-forming.
With brass in stable dimension(FFing completed), incremental load & run a ladder at 300yds with best seating so far.
Confirm suspected node with grouping at 200yds.
Tweak seating to shape 200yd grouping.

I used to do ladders and stuff. Burns up too much powder and barrel life I figure.

I pick a powder, bullet and primer. None of these are a guess.

I then determine OAL to touch the rifling and set the seating die.

I then start towards the top of the suggested powder range and shoot ever increasing charge weights until I get pressure signs. Each chamber is different. Some times the sign is bolt lift, some times its extraction pressure and some times it the extractor mark.

Say that pressure point is 100 grains. I back off 2 grains and load 9 shots.

3 @ 96 gr, 1 @ 97, and 3 @ 98 and shot each load round robin fashion into 3 different targets. This will reveal the optimum charge weight. Usually, but not always this results in a good accurate hunting load.

If need be I then mess with seating depth.

Note that this procedure is used with fully custom rifles. Factory rifles take a ton more tweaking......

Explain the ladder method please?

I just started working on a load for a 280AI, fireformed the brass and loaded 3 rounds of 53 gr. H4831 just to get on the paper.
This is in an Encore rifle so I seated the berger 168hunting vld just off the lands and the result was a group that I could cover with dime.

I typically just pick a bullet and load with a couple different powders and work up once I have a seating depth.

Explain the ladder method please?

I just started working on a load for a 280AI, fireformed the brass and loaded 3 rounds of 53 gr. H4831 just to get on the paper.
This is in an Encore rifle so I seated the berger 168hunting vld just off the lands and the result was a group that I could cover with dime.

I typically just pick a bullet and load with a couple different powders and work up once I have a seating depth.

I shoot a 280 AI with berger 168's and h4831sc. Max charge is 58gr maybe higher in your specific rifle. That's a really weak charge you're using.

I use br2 primer, 58.5 h4831sc, neck tension is .002 under, 168gr berger is .004 off the lands, and I use nosler brass. Out of my 26" bartlein 5r i get 2815fps and it cloverleafs.

I used to do ladders and stuff. Burns up too much powder and barrel life I figure.

I pick a powder, bullet and primer. None of these are a guess.

I then determine OAL to touch the rifling and set the seating die.

I then start towards the top of the suggested powder range and shoot ever increasing charge weights until I get pressure signs. Each chamber is different. Some times the sign is bolt lift, some times its extraction pressure and some times it the extractor mark.

Say that pressure point is 100 grains. I back off 2 grains and load 9 shots.

3 @ 96 gr, 1 @ 97, ag to give tnd 3 @ 98 and shot each load round robin fashion into 3 different targets. This will reveal the optimum charge weight. Usually, but not always this results in a good accurate hunting load.

If need be I then mess with seating depth.

Note that this procedure is used with fully custom rifles. Factory rifles take a ton more tweaking......
Thank you everyone for the ideas. I think I'm going to give this method a try.

Thank you everyone for the ideas. I think I'm going to give this method a try.

In the alternative-

Load Development in 5 rounds:

(Assuming you have a SAAMI spec chamber)

Google your combination of components. See what others are loading. Verify it is safe by consulting several manuals. Then get a chronograph and Quick Load software. Pick a mid range load that is known to be accurate. Load up five rounds. Shoot them over your chrony. Note the velocity. Determine the water capacity of your fired cases. Adjust the case capacity, barrel length, and powder burn rate in the QL software to match your observed velocity. Adjust the load for optimum barrel time. Done.

OBT is a good practice, but no way I'd go hunt with round #6 :)

In the alternative-

Load Development in 5 rounds:

(Assuming you have a SAAMI spec chamber)

Google your combination of components. See what others are loading. Verify it is safe by consulting several manuals. Then get a chronograph and Quick Load software. Pick a mid range load that is known to be accurate. Load up five rounds. Shoot them over your chrony. Note the velocity. Determine the water capacity of your fired cases. Adjust the case capacity, barrel length, and powder burn rate in the QL software to match your observed velocity. Adjust the load for optimum barrel time. Done.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts