Most Efficient 7mm Cartridge for 195 EOL Elite Hunter???

Yes, but bet I get to shoot mine a lot longer. How many more grains to get 145 FPS? What your load?

Not picking a fight. I have a 7stw, 7 ultra too. I like the short case so you can play with seating vs 7 ultra. But I did shoot a 10" group with 180 hyb at a mile with it..
Don't care about barrel life they sell barrels every day, it's faster ,has more energy, bucks the wind better and is accurate.

And .3 doesn't mean nothing in a long raging gun.. what matters is 500y less than 2 inches, 1000y 5 inches or less. That said Es have to be single digets. Bottom line..

Not sure what you're getting at, the thread was about 195 Berger shot efficienctly, you're not shooting that bullet. The higher BCs and velocities do make a big difference at long range especially when you take in account the wind at long range in real hunting conditions. The wind can vary between shot and animal and having a bigger bullet at faster speeds help counter that.

So let me get this straight. We're comparing 195's @ 3,000 vs 3,150... that's like comparing Rosie O'Donnell and Carrie Underwood.

No, not saying that. I'm say that. I'm saying the 7 rem mag. Is very efficient for the powder charge. Read

The 7-300 and the 7mm practical are NOT the same cartridge. I continue to see members of this forum posting bad information and I am not sure why. The 7-300 has roughly a .270 neck and the shoulder angle remains unchanged from the 300 Win. The 7mm Practical has a .300 neck and a 30 degree shoulder. The 7-300 only requires a 300 win bushing die. The practical requires special dies for full length sizing. Either can use 300 win mag seaters. I can not see the added value in the practical(not so practical) over a straight 7-300. I never ran 195s in my 7-300s but 180 Hybrids would easily go 3165(accuracy node).
Mine is the 7mm Practical. And, all I meant is that most people think of it as the 7-300 WM.Yes, they are slightly different. However, you are incorrect in stating that the 7mm Practical requires special dies. I use a bushing die in a 300 WM die to do the initial form (to keep concentricity) and then bump the shoulder back just a hair using any sizing die that will fit the dia. and length of the 300 WM. I use a 7-300 NM to bump my shoulder a few thousanths, but I'd bet a 7RM would also work well for this shoulder bump.

Mine is the 7mm Practical. And, all I meant is that most people think of it as the 7-300 WM.Yes, they are slightly different. However, you are incorrect in stating that the 7mm Practical requires special dies. I use a bushing die in a 300 WM die to do the initial form (to keep concentricity) and then bump the shoulder back just a hair using any sizing die that will fit the dia. and length of the 300 WM. I use a 7-300 NM to bump my shoulder a few thousanths, but I'd bet a 7RM would also work well for this shoulder bump.
The 7mm Practical has a 30° shoulder, so once it's fire formed, you'll need special dies to get a proper shoulder bump. You state that your use of a 7-300NM(norma mag?) works? I don't see how that it has a 20° shoulder, the 300win a 25° shoulder and the 7mm Practical a 30° shoulder. Yes a 7mm practical has a longer neck, however it's only longer so that you don't need to trim brass, once you improve the shoulder to 30° you arrest a lot of the brass flow negating neck length growth, which isn't so PRACTICAL in the design, punn intended. Simplest design, is neck 300 win down with a 300wn FL bushing die, us a 7mm rem mag seating die.

The 7mm Practical has a 30° shoulder, so once it's fire formed, you'll need special dies to get a proper shoulder bump. You state that your use of a 7-300NM(norma mag?) works? I don't see how that it has a 20° shoulder, the 300win a 25° shoulder and the 7mm Practical a 30° shoulder. Yes a 7mm practical has a longer neck, however it's only longer so that you don't need to trim brass, once you improve the shoulder to 30° you arrest a lot of the brass flow negating neck length growth, which isn't so PRACTICAL in the design, punn intended. Simplest design, is neck 300 win down with a 300wn FL bushing die, us a 7mm rem mag seating die.

The 7-300 NM is only used to bump the shoulder as I stated. This bump is TINY so not much brass movement. It is not used to change the angle. The first shot changes the angle. And, I've found little change in accuracy shooting the fire form loads vs the already fire formed loads.

I am considering taking the .300PRC and necking it down to a 7mm. It seems to be a very efficient case design and you can use .375 Ruger brass. Its already been done as the 7mm-375 Ruger but now that Hornady is pushing the .300PRC, brass and components should be a lot easier to come by. In fact, I would not be surprised if Hornady makes the .300PRC the basis for a class of cartridges, with a 7mm and .338 option ultimately coming out and being SAAMI approved. The one thing I don't understand is why they did not leave that option open for a 6.5 on the .300 PRC case without having to rename it. They are already causing enough confusion with the two PRC cases being different lengths. Anyway, I am probably going that route on my next 7mm build, which is a ways out. I have a 7mm STW I need to get rid of first.
I knew someone on this LRH site was going to bring up the 7 PRC!!! I have an old M700 that is in 7 Rem mag and I think it needs a barrel. So, I think I'll start making plans for it in the near future. (I have a donor gun is someone is willing to set it up and test it, lol.)
Love it....

I knew someone on this LRH site was going to bring up the 7 PRC!!! I have an old M700 that is in 7 Rem mag and I think it needs a barrel. So, I think I'll start making plans for it in the near future. (I have a donor gun is someone is willing to set it up and test it, lol.)
Love it....
Im considering adding it to the 300 PRC S.I.
If there is enough interest. I've had a couple people ask for one. S.I. on the right
IMG_20181219_155403654.jpg

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.