Most Efficient 7mm Cartridge for 195 EOL Elite Hunter???

View attachment 108705 View attachment 108706

Recoil is very manageable. Mine is a Defiance Deviant, 27in Bart 8 twist sendero, Manners T4A. I run a thunderbeast can. Shooting the new 230 gr SMK(g1 of .800) at 2995 with Retumbo. I had a 7 RSAUM before and loved the 183 SMK, was wanting a chambering that could push the 197 SMK fast so I looked at the 7mm LRH (jazz). Then saw Sierra had a 230 SMK and Berger is coming out with a 245 Elite Hunter so I went with the 300 Norma just for the energy at distance. Plus where I live its great for ELR, doesn't go subsonic until 2400 yards...

Is that a bipod or bayonet?

4084D488-A85A-4FAB-BA66-0E91A2697823.jpeg

I was thinking the 7mm-300 WM also, very close the 28 Nosler. cheap good brass available. Good balance of speed while not using a ton of powder. I would size and headspace off the shoulder instead of base while reloading. I generally run all new brass through a die to get dents out of neck and true up brass for loading anyways. But I got a 260AI barrel waiting for me so I may just get a 300 WM later and call it good. Similar trajectories is my reasoning. Otherwise I'd be getting a 7mm RM (easier) or a 7mm-300WM (oh boy lol). I have no idea how efficient it is, it just sounds really good to me.

Last edited:
Then it sounds like the next step is .28 Nosler or 7mm STW.

I think you're right. I want something with some serious power. I'm starting to think I've narrowed the search to 7mm STW, 7mm RUM, 7mm Win Mag, or 28 Nosler.

7mm STW- Seems to be the efficient cartridge choice of the 4 I've selected. Not sure how hard or expensive the ammo components are.

7mm RUM- Gonna definitely have the energy and speed I'm after. But possibly a very quick barrel burner?

7mm WM- Up to the task, cheap easy to find brass, and has the wildcat fun factor.

28 Nosler- Definitely up to the task, and probably a wise choice. However it seems like every flat-biller, with a side by side, has one. Lol.

When I worked in a ballistics lab 14 years ago some complained about weird pressure spike with the 7mm RUM. I saw the reports and after that didn't play with it much. I'd say the capacity is definitely there but I'm guessing you'd be better off with a longer barrel to take advantage of it. With the newer powders or bullets it might not be a issue with the weird pressure spikes.

I think you're right. I want something with some serious power. I'm starting to think I've narrowed the search to 7mm STW, 7mm RUM, 7mm Win Mag, or 28 Nosler.

7mm STW- Seems to be the efficient cartridge choice of the 4 I've selected. Not sure how hard or expensive the ammo components are.

7mm RUM- Gonna definitely have the energy and speed I'm after. But possibly a very quick barrel burner?

7mm WM- Up to the task, cheap easy to find brass, and has the wildcat fun factor.

28 Nosler- Definitely up to the task, and probably a wise choice. However it seems like every flat-biller, with a side by side, has one. Lol.
7mm STW Nosler brand brass is easily attainable, and it will do everything you are looking to get done with the 195's.

7mm RUM is not what it appears. In real world testing, it only puts down about 25-50 FPS more than the STW or Nosler.

7mm-300WM is basically a 7mm RemMag with about 50 fps gained.

28 Nosler is the newest offering, and is definitely up to the task. It is a ballistic twin of the 7mm STW. Very efficient, with decent brass and barrel life.

Of listed, the best 2 options to achieve your goals would be the 7mm STW and .28 Nosler.

Of listed, the best 2 options to achieve your goals would be the 7mm STW and .28 Nosler.
I've got different criteria and am doing things on the cheap these days so I'd run a 7mm-300wm with 180gr and be happy. But seeing that the goal is to run 195gr I can't argue against going with either a 7mm stw or a 28 Nosler. Between the two I'd probably go with the 28 Nosler.

Just get a 28 Nosler and join the crowd lol. I got a 28 Nosler early on and now everyone and their uncle has one. Oh well it does what I need it to do so whatevs. Also sometimes the popularity helps bring brass prices down. Good luck

I am considering taking the .300PRC and necking it down to a 7mm. It seems to be a very efficient case design and you can use .375 Ruger brass. Its already been done as the 7mm-375 Ruger but now that Hornady is pushing the .300PRC, brass and components should be a lot easier to come by. In fact, I would not be surprised if Hornady makes the .300PRC the basis for a class of cartridges, with a 7mm and .338 option ultimately coming out and being SAAMI approved. The one thing I don't understand is why they did not leave that option open for a 6.5 on the .300 PRC case without having to rename it. They are already causing enough confusion with the two PRC cases being different lengths. Anyway, I am probably going that route on my next 7mm build, which is a ways out. I have a 7mm STW I need to get rid of first.

Last edited:
Go 28 nosler. Shot my buds gun yesterday. 80.8g Retumbo pushes the 195 @ 3080 in his rifle, no pressure signs. Made cold bore hit on an moa sized rock @ 1800y first shot I'd ever attempted with it. Built by DDR with a reamer throated for 195s and 180 eld-m. Literally put wind into the app, ranged with the kilo 2400 and drilled the rock. Nothing wrong with the nosler, can get ammo and all components over the counter, no custom components needed. Ryan Pierce builds a great rifle at a very attractive price.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts