Most consistent factory brass? Help.

SaskShooter

Well, I've been developing loads for my custom .300 Win Mag-
Specs-
Hand-lapped M700 action
26" McGowen #8 1-10" stainless barrel
XLR Evolution chassis
Vortex Viper PST 6-24X50 FFP EBR-1 MOA
PRW rings, Badger Ordnance 20 MOA rail, Caldwell bipod.

Now, I couldn't find any brass for .300 in my area AT ALL, so I've been using el super cheapo Federal 180 grain softpoint factory ammo- buy 'em, burn 'em, reload. It's actually cheaper than buying brass alone!

However, I've got good, consistent loads with both 208 Hornady HPBT's and 210 Berger VLD's, and neither will group at or under half MOA consistently.

It's not the shooter, bullet, or powder (Retumbo) that's responsible, and it certainly shouldn't be the gun! So that leaves my brass, and being the cheapest money can buy, I think it's a reasonable explanation.

TL;DR- Since I can't find any brass, can anyone tell me what factory ammo generally has the best, most consistent brass?

Nosler or Norma brass for any belted magnum calibers (which included 300 WinMag).

I wish Lapua would get into making belted magnum brass...I would order 100-500 7mmSTW brass right off the bat.

I've had great luck with horady brass,never used it in my 300 tho. I use nosler custom brass. For my 243 I use hornady and its been great!!!!

I ended up trying 300WM Norma brass which has been readily available at Sincairs. I had a hard time locating brass as well. I had not used it before and was pleasantly surprised. It's very uniform, I get superb accuracy and ES, and I've been able to get over 10 reloads out of it with an annealing and trim at five reloads. No pressure signs at all with 79gr of Retumbo and 210VLD's at 2880FPS. The only thing is that it's pricey, and the primer pockets are tight. You have to make sure they are well seated. They do not loosen up after multiple reloads though. I like the brass and am going to stay with it for my rifle.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.