Most common caliber

So as a beginner in long range hunting and a small time preppier kind of guy, what do you think the most common caliber in North America is? I know the 223/5.56 is the absolute most popular, but I think either a 300 win mag, or 30-06 Springfield would have to come in close seconds.

My guess since this forum is called "long distance" would be 308, then 30-06, 7 mm, 300 wm, and now, up coming 6.5 cm, then 6 cm. The 338 is probably out there aways.

Mind you these are just guess as far as popularity, not someone's guess on the best distance shooter.

Centerfire Rifle Cartridges in USA by popularity I'd guess 30-06, 308, 270, 223, 30-30, 243 and 6.5 Creedmoor. The belted magnums would be 300 Win Mag and 7mm Rem Mag and there has got to be a ton of 22-250s out there too. So there's my top 10.

You are probably right. My FIL and his FIL hunted the west central PA mountains with the 300 Savage and the .35 Rem for a couple decades until they both got Remington 760 Gamemasters in .30-06 (probably the mid-70s). Guys seemed to love those pumps up there and they'd usually pump 'em dry at the deer running across the power line easments! Oh how they would roar in the woods!

My first rifle was a 94 Win in 30/30 which was a very popular choice. After 2 seasons with that i got a new gun which was a model 141 Rem pump in 35 Rem. Both my father and older brother had 99 Savages in 300 Sav. When the 760 Rem pump came out i soon traded for one of those in 06, and that had my first scope, a 1.5 power Weaver with a see thru mount.
It was simply a spray and pray outfit, not even as accurate as my 141 model.
When Savage legitimized being a lefty by introducing a lefty bolt gun, i again traded for one of those, in 06.
During the war years much hunting, especially if it involved driving long distances was very much curtailed due to gas and much else being tightly rationed. So it would have been in the 50s before you would be seeing many guns being built on Springfield, Enfield, and the many 98 Mauser actions then available. And of coarse 30/06 was one of the more popular choices. Even into the mid 50s, if you had a scope on your gun you would be apt to have comments directed at you, and not always the flattering type. Lol
Also realize that even then in the early 50s, long range hunting was taking place in that region of PA.
I had my first experience with it in the fall of 1955 when we had to stop our vehicle due to a guy laying on the dirt mountain road shooting at a buck laying on a hillside across the valley. He did kill the deer, and was using a model 70 Win in 270 with a Unertle scope.
He claimed it to be 700 yds, and years later i was able to prove him to be correct. I learned his name to be Ray Diamond, from Pittsburg, which was also home for Unertle scopes. I now count that as being the single most important thing to happen to me as for hunting. Unfortunately, I wasn't yet then in a listening mindset. Lol

So as a beginner in long range hunting and a small time preppier kind of guy, what do you think the most common caliber in North America is? I know the 223/5.56 is the absolute most popular, but I think either a 300 win mag, or 30-06 Springfield would have to come in close seconds.
I'd pull this post down, get a thesaurus, really think about what information you want. 223 is NOT the most popular hunting caliber. I'd say 30 cal is most popular IMO.

I'd pull this post down, get a thesaurus, really think about what information you want. 223 is NOT the most popular hunting caliber. I'd say 30 cal is most popular IMO.
Or maybe you should read what I said again before suggesting what I do. I never once mentioned the "hunting" in my post.

Excellent Threads and Responses Boys. I would just like to add my 2cents and my personal opinion. As a Kid working in a Local Gun shop for many years , I always suggested the 30-06 and the .270 Win and the 308 to the new hunter and shooter. The questions I always asked were "What is the primary game you will be hunting" and "Where will you be hunting" ? ,{ NY State , Penn ???} and the big one was , "Will this be your one and only rifle for years to come. ". If the answer to that question was "YES ", then my first choice suggestion was a good solid Bolt Action ,in 30-06 with the best Scope and Rings and Bases you can afford. I am a avid fan of the .270 for all my Whitetail Deer Hunting, and own three riles chambered in that fine old caliber. I also own two 30-06 Hunting rifles and .308 target Rifle. and a few other larger Bore Weatherby's. If Big game , such as Western Elk Hunting , or the big Brown Bears of the north will be hunted regularly, then I would suggest that a second Rifle ,in a larger caliber , for that specific game, should be considered That's another conversation. Thank you all, Lenny

My first rifle was a 94 Win in 30/30 which was a very popular choice. After 2 seasons with that i got a new gun which was a model 141 Rem pump in 35 Rem. Both my father and older brother had 99 Savages in 300 Sav. When the 760 Rem pump came out i soon traded for one of those in 06, and that had my first scope, a 1.5 power Weaver with a see thru mount.
It was simply a spray and pray outfit, not even as accurate as my 141 model.
When Savage legitimized being a lefty by introducing a lefty bolt gun, i again traded for one of those, in 06.
During the war years much hunting, especially if it involved driving long distances was very much curtailed due to gas and much else being tightly rationed. So it would have been in the 50s before you would be seeing many guns being built on Springfield, Enfield, and the many 98 Mauser actions then available. And of coarse 30/06 was one of the more popular choices. Even into the mid 50s, if you had a scope on your gun you would be apt to have comments directed at you, and not always the flattering type. Lol
Also realize that even then in the early 50s, long range hunting was taking place in that region of PA.
I had my first experience with it in the fall of 1955 when we had to stop our vehicle due to a guy laying on the dirt mountain road shooting at a buck laying on a hillside across the valley. He did kill the deer, and was using a model 70 Win in 270 with a Unertle scope.
He claimed it to be 700 yds, and years later i was able to prove him to be correct. I learned his name to be Ray Diamond, from Pittsburg, which was also home for Unertle scopes. I now count that as being the single most important thing to happen to me as for hunting. Unfortunately, I wasn't yet then in a listening mindset. Lol
This is a neat story. I can relate to the guy with the pre-64 270, as those types of shooting scenarios had presented themselves to me as well, but I figured they were way too far to entertain. BTW, this was in Clearfield county. I have very fond memories of hunting that area on several hundred acres that was owned by a refractory/ kiln company. They let everybody hunt back then and we'd rarely see anyone else other than our own hunting party - Even on Opening Day!

Prepping and long range hunting have little in common. For a one gun prepper that wants to hunt deer & hogs & black bear & slow elk the choice is 7.62x39 because of cost, weight, and cost effectiveness. For most preppers the 5.56 is the ONE. If you live where the Antelope roam a 25-06 could come in handy for hunting. But, the over all best prepper gun is the AR-15 in 5.56 and that ain't no long range gun or even hunting gun, eh? An AK-47 or SKS is next in the prepper cost, weight, cost effective category and you can buy a very nice bolt action in 7.62x39 to scope for short range hunting. where I live one may hunt with their SKS but many states restrict the 10 round magazine. If limited budget? Only one center fire for prepping & hunting = Ruger Mini 30 if you can find one. As for me; I do have a AR-15, my prepper gun is AK-47, (Russian ammo delivered to my door .22 cents per round); I use a 25-06 for long range hunting and I have a Ruger RPR in 6mm Creedmoor for the range; way too big & heavy for any practical purpose but fun to show off with at 500 yards, eh?

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.