Most accurate powder scale under $200

I am using a Lyman DPS II disepenser, and have an Oahaus 10-10 I got a GREAT price as a backup. For loading just a few rounds, I just use the Oahaus. .

Last edited:
So I'm new to reloading and also interested in a scale under $200. I see many replies for scales much more than what the OP had asked.

I see this one is very popular. Any reviews on the Frankfort Arsenal?

Frankford Arsenal DS-750 Digital Reloading Scale with LCD Display for Reloading https://www.amazon.com/dp/B002BDOHNA/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_3QQNK0SNZ7RWX52VDHCX
I have a few portable DS to include this, they are not bad at all ...

Frankfor Arsenal DS-750 .jpg

For the money, a balance beam scale & a trickler will get it done accurately & consistently without electronics that drift, freak out if your cell phone is too close, need line filters, don't like fluorescent lights, or have to be turned on 30 minutes before loading. (And no fan or A/C please!)

Get one of these (many very good used ones on here, LRH, or eBay):
RCBS (OHAUS) 5-10
RCBS (OHAUS) 10-10
or Lyman (OHAUS) M5

Then find a trickler. I have RCBS, but they'll all work about the same. I miss the old heavy ones! Just liked the feel of the weight. Hard to come by now, but it doesn't matter for what they do. Light ones work fine.

The advice to make HOW you read (look at) your balance beam scale very consistent & repeatable was excellent. Heed that.

Some great thoughts & info here. Just don't lose sight of the forest (quality/consistency) looking at the trees (this one is $500 but 0.01 grain more accurate!) More money buys nice stuff, but you can get where you want to be for the $200 you have, if seeing a digital readout isn't your end all, be all "need" in life.
This is your answer and while others on this thread have favorites I doubt anyone will say Frog is "wrong". I polished up my ebay M5 with Arkansas stones and lubed with a soft pencil. I leveled the beam on 0 ( with a level) by adjusting the weight in the carrier you set the pan on. My improvement is not perfect in that each time I set up scale I have to test weight and vibrate by tiny taps until the knives settle. I use my test weights to verify and begin use. Eye position is critical and some use a cheap digital camera to observe needle which I really should do. I added a needle (sewing needle) to the balance beam pointer (offset by more ballast in pan holder). A single granule of all but the smallest ball powers will move needle. As I said my only negative is having to settle in scale before a session. My chargemaster is not consistent per say. If I watch it trickle up to weight I can usually tell if it will be off by how it finishes. Accuracy wise the chargemaster is off 1 1/2 grains average.

Call me cheap, but this is what works for me...

Throw charge with calibrated RCBS Chargemaster. With a resolution of 0.1gr, it usually throws within 0.15gr of target.

Move pan to this "tare"d electronic scale from Amazon ($16). https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B07X1R442K?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_title

Add/remove a few kernels as required.
It has a 0.02gr resolution. Each grain of powder is between 0.02 and 0.04gr, depending on the type. This scale reads accurately enough to know when I drop or remove a single kernel.

I use a .223 55 gr bullet that I know is exactly 55.00gr to verify scale calibration, as most of the loads I throw are 51-60 gr.

This is what I use for load development. For hunting loads, I just use the Chargemaster and weigh every 5-6 throws on "el cheapo" to make sure the RCBS hasn't walked.

Last edited:
Would you recommend using the beam scale for every round, or just check accuracy of then charge master every 5th round or pre set number?

New member here...would like to start out right. I have an old RCBS 10 10. If the OP would like it, I will send it to him free of charge. My suggestion would be to send it off to ButterBean and let him get it as accurate as it can be. Now you are way under budget, and know the old girl is doing the best she can. Will be far from perfect, but I bet ButterBean will help you get a good start.
2400AC07-C8FE-465B-B8EE-52FADE21C14C.jpeg

I currently use a RCBS 5 5 to verify, as close as possible anyway. Not a bench or PRS shooter, so works well for me. If LRH believes these are not worth the trouble, please feel free to speak up, feelings will not be hurt in the least. Mostly because I have no feelings, just love to hunt and shoot! Offer there...

New member here...would like to start out right. I have an old RCBS 10 10. If the OP would like it, I will send it to him free of charge. My suggestion would be to send it off to ButterBean and let him get it as accurate as it can be. Now you are way under budget, and know the old girl is doing the best she can. Will be far from perfect, but I bet ButterBean will help you get a good start. View attachment 278087
That's an awesome gesture, If he wants it I will tune it for free as well

I currently use a RCBS 5 5 to verify, as close as possible anyway. Not a bench or PRS shooter, so works well for me. If LRH believes these are not worth the trouble, please feel free to speak up, feelings will not be hurt in the least. Mostly because I have no feelings, just love to hunt and shoot! Offer there...

I use the Lyman pocket scale and change the batteries often I know that has nothing to do with the tread but often I get caught up in nicer gear myself only to realize my scale is better as long as I don't leave the same batteries in there for too long. (Consistent hits to 1200y with new batteries)(price=$10 for a pack of AAA)