most accurate long range shotgun.

Yes sir, funny mine was just the opposite my H&R was just a bit more accurate than my savage so I stick with it, but everything else is true about the savage just depends on gun for accuracy.

Not only that but how fats do you get a second shot with the h&r? I haven't needed one yet, killed 14 deer with my savage 220 so far but if it can happen it will happen deer hunting and I like knowing I have a second and a third shot and where I live we can shoot 3 does per day every day of the season.

Not only that but how fats do you get a second shot with the h&r? I haven't needed one yet, killed 14 deer with my savage 220 so far but if it can happen it will happen deer hunting and I like knowing I have a second and a third shot and where I live we can shoot 3 does per day every day of the season.

A single shot is still faster to reload than a muzzle loader or bow & arrow. :)

I shot my first deer with a smooth bore New England Firearms (H&R) single shot 20 gauge. I hunt with a pump action now. But I like to reminisce on my dad making me practice reloading the single shot quickly by having the 2nd round waiting between the middle finger and ring finger on my right hand.

In fact I remember him throwing 2 clays at once and I could get it reloaded fast enough to get a shot off at both of them before they hit the ground. Kind of fun actually...

I own a few slug guns in both 12ga & 20ga, and I love the 20ga. Out of the ones I own two of them are mentioned on here, the Savage 220f, and the H&R Ultra Deluxe. Both are set up with the Leupold VX-II 3-9x40, both using Remington AccuTip 3" the Savage groups better but not by much, the Savage gets the edge cause it handles like a rifle, great trigger, and lighter in weight. Also at 200 yds. the Savage takes the lead. I've taken my biggest buck with the H&R at 80 yds. neck shot, this was out in Illinois and all I had was a neck, dropped in it's tracks, two weeks later I was in my stand here in NJ and once more a neck shot at over 80 yds .

I would opt for the Savage 220f or if your a 12ga fan get the 212. Top either one off with a quality glass, and DNZ mounts

Here is my target at 100yds with my 220f, it's the group that is dead center on the solid orange line, ignore the other slug holes, also before/after pictures of my 220f I had this shotgun for a few years and had it hydro dipped this past spring

local sporting goods store used run a bulletin board with targets shot with rifles and slug guns they sold (they sell a lot of weapons). There were several MOA three shot groups shot out of Savage bolt action shot guns. Nothing else was remotely close. Best groups always seemed to be Remington copper slugs if it matters much.
gary

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.