Most accurate load in your F.A. 454?

bluedeer

Was about to give up on a field grade FA in 454,had tried about 8 different handloads best I could get was 5 shots at 25 yards into 1.5 inch center to center,a friend had some of the older Georgia Arms ammo with the 300 gr. xtp,shot a ragged hole with it,but I handload and want to know if anyone on the forum has a favorite load they will share?Thanks.

mine likes the rcbs 300 grain swcgc and 28 grains of 110 with a cci 350 primer. It will shoot that load into an little over an inch at 50 yards with open sights and tired old eyes.

Mines a Premier Grade 7 1/2" barrel. Non ported. I'm using Federal Match primers and 27.5 grns of H 4227. I'm giving up about 150 fps using 4227 but the last deer i shot at 135 yds. didn't know the difference. That's with open sights and my old eyes.

I have been a handgun hunter for 35 years,135 yards with iron sights is about twice the distance most experienced hunters could do,congrats!

I'll tell you it was luck. The bullet just grazed the top of his back and broke the skin and severed an artery along the spine. Sure didn't waste any meat.

mines a non ported 4 5/8s gun. Ive also owned two 7 1/2 inch 83s one ported one not. 4227 has given me good accuracy but i kind of gave up on it in FA guns. the main reason is its a bit dirty burning and fa guns are so tight lazy sobs like me that dont like cleaning guns everyday find that it will tie your gun up in short order. 110/296 is probably the best powder in them for full power loads. I use alot of that and for loads just under max really like aa9. For midrange loads 2400 is hard to beat.

The H110 is what I/m tinkering with now and the 300xtp,it's showing potential,I do intend on trying AA#9 as it seems to give up a little in FPS but just seems to want to group well,AA#9 and a 310 gr. lead GCHP groups tight in my Ruger Bisley 45 Colt and is right on the heels of the 454,can't remember your "handle" but even if you did hit the buck high in the back ,what's that old saying"an inch is as good as a mile",many thanks to you all for the info.

I loaded up some 300 grain partitions and used Lil Gun powder. It is listed as giving the same velocity as H-110 with much less pressure. Hodgen has the powder charges listed on their website.

Thank's,I think I have some of that powder,if something does not "pan out'' for me I/ll give it a try,so your a lefty huh?I may be posting a LH Savsge in future chambered in .270 WSM if that's of any interest to you.

I dont use lilgun at all anymore. It just burns to hot. Eventually it will damage your forcing cone. Freedom arms wont even warantee a gun thats used lilgun anymore. I gave up on it in handguns and had about 4lbs left. Figured id burn it up in my beowulf. I was at the range one day and shot 10 shots as fast as i could pull the trigger and you could about light a cigerette off the barrel. Shot 10 more after it cooled with wc297 and could still put my hand on the barrel. I gave up on it right there for rifles too and gave the rest away. to bad because i had some accurate loads worked up in handguns and rifles with it.
I loaded up some 300 grain partitions and used Lil Gun powder. It is listed as giving the same velocity as H-110 with much less pressure. Hodgen has the powder charges listed on their website.

Something may be off for you then? I have an older FA Premier Grade that's Magna-ported with a 7 1/2" bbl. bought in April of '96 that shoots groups you could cover with a quarter w/ factory ammo.

Here's the factory load data:

FA240JHP 36.0 grains of H110

FA260JFP 35.0 H110

FA300JFP 31.0 H110

All those loads shoot very well for me.

Good luck

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.