Most accurate hunting bullet

jon12

Im looking for a bullet to try in my new 270 WSM. I want to use the most accurate non-premium hunting buller there is. I dont need any bonded or partitioned or anything, since it will just be for deer, and i dont want any paper punching type bullets like matchking. My max range will probably be about 300 yrds. I want a 130 gr. bullet.

What characteristics should i go for, or stay away from. I know boattails have higher B.C.s but are they usually more accurate? How about the polymer tip? How about a canalure?

I have heard and actually seen that the regular old cheap plain flatbase softpoint hornady interlock bullets are hard to be for accuracy as a hunting bullet as long as there will be no extreme range shots. What is yalls experience? I was also thinking about the hornady SST since its the same bullet only ads the plastic tip and boat tail, but have had old-timers tell me to just go with the regular interlock. I have also looked at the nosler ballistic tip, but it is alittle more expensive. i just wanna know what the most accurate one will be.

Thanks for any help.

Sorry, but the mighty Sierra Match King is the bullet your looking for, friend.
Iam sure others here will respond in kind..LOL
wink.gif

I also like the Barnes TSX bullets. IF your rifle will shoot them. So do, some dont...sakofan..

I would try the Hornady 130 SST. We just shot them a few hours ago in my dads 270 WSM and they shoot great. My dad has used a SST in his 300 win mag for the last two years and My buddy has used them in his 7MM STW also. All the deer they have shot ranging anywhere from 25 yards to 500 yards dropped in their tracks with one shot. They seem to hold up real well even at close shots and for $18.00 for a box of 100 I dont think you can go wrong.
smile.gif

Jon

Sirra Gameking.

One observation though; You're not interested in using a SMK on Deer but, you consider the poly tip rapid expanding bullets? I'm going out on a limb here maybe, but the non-bonded poly tip bullets are probably less effective at holding up than the SMK is...

I've had great success with the Nosler Ballistic tips and Combined Technolgy Ballistic Silver Tips. They both have high BCs and are very devastating on any game. On larger game, trust the partition to get the job done. As far Match bullets for hunting deer, they will kill, but my experience with Sierra MKs, I would not recommend. However, interesting enough Hornady Amax's have worked for me on whitetail with very good results.
Are you Reloading or Buying Factory Ammo?

I'm handloading, and yes i looked at amax but at least in the recent cabelas shooting catalog i have they dont offer one in 270 at all, and i imagine if they did it would be heavier than 130, maybe 135 like matchking which would be fine but i wouldnt want any heavier.

Another question...

You mentioned the CT Ballistic Silver tips...

I bought 4 boxes of those in factory loads, mostly for the brass and have shot about 1 1/2. The accuracy is about an inch so far, but....

I am worried about the moly coating. I have read of moly buildup in barrels destroying accuracy. I have been brushing with solvent every 3 shots or so since i got it, and i will definately stop using moly coated bullets once my four boxes are empty, but will harm my barrel shooting all of these? Should i keep cleaning frequently until theyre all shot up? Should i use some cleaning compound like JBs to try to get it all out?

Thanks.

Jon, the coating on the BST is not moly, and brake cleaner removes it from your bore very easily.

Since you have limited the bullets that can be suggested, Ballistic Tips. But given the .270WSM potential velocity with heavier higher BC bullets I would try the 150 gr BT. At 300 yds on whitetails it really does not matter but close the 150 gr would penetrate better and would loose it's velocity slower and have less wind deflection at long range.

What you have been told about flat base bullets being more accurate than boattails is true but only is important if you wish to reduce your 100 yd group by every .0001" possible. At long range the higher BC of the boattail will help you.

If I might offer one additional piece of advice, just try the 135 gr Match King on wet newsprint at 300 yds or perhaps a goat or sheep for your freezer.

J36 from Lost River Ballistic Technologies. Check out their website, the ballistic coeffecients are amazing.
I use them exclusively in my long range 30-378 wby and 300 rem ultra. They are unbelievably accurate and deadly. Have shot several elk and Coues with them. lrbt

I guess those bullets finally found a gun they can shoot out of!!
rolleyes.gif
grin.gif
wink.gif

In sticking to the title of the thread-->SMK

JB

Let me put down another vote for Sierra Match Kings!

I despise the CT Ballistic Silvertips.

Two stories illustrate my point.

Story 1. 7 STW with 140 grn. CT Ballistic Silvetips, deer at 100 lasered yards. Angling away from me I shot 4 inches forward of the last rib on the right side. Deer collapsed and died but bullet penetration was pathetic, maybe 8 inches from the wound channel and stopped in the liver. A better bullet would've went further up into the chest cavity.

Story 2. 7 mm Remington Ultra Mag, 278 lasered yards, whitetail deer headed downhill. 168 grain Sierra Match King tore through the base of the neck, through the spine and out the opposing shoulder. Deer died instantly.

SMK's are all that I'll use at long range. Great accuracy.

For me the Hornady SST is superb. Just keep impact vel under 2800fps and you will have excellent success. The Interbonds are also very accurate, pricier, maybe more retained weight, same red box...

Nosler BT are very accurate but I know the Hornady's hold together better. Use the heaviest weight you can find, 150gr SST would be my choice.

Jerry

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts