Most Accurate AR -15

I shoot a little tighter groups at 100 yards with the 55 gr bullets but that could just be in the head. I shoot a lot of the 75 gr HPBT Hornady match bullets CCI 400 primers around 23 gr IMR 8208 XBR have shot many sub MOA groups at 400 yards with that load but they are not as tight at 100 yards as the 55 gr vmax tend to be but the 55 gr fall apart at 400 yards with the wind kicking them around. I'm in the process of building an AR-10 in 6.5 creedmoor just got the Krieger 26" barrel with headspaced bolt from Fulton Armory the other day absolutely cann't wait to get it assembled and try it at 1000 yards after some load devepment. On this build I am seriously considering using Locktite 620 between the upper reciever and barrel extension because my fit is a little looser than any of my other builds have been most of my 223 fits have been a nice snug fit with no barrel nut installed this one has a couple thousands play I even looked on Brownells to see if the had a upper reciever lapping kit like they do for the AR15's. Crazy what we will do chasing that last little bit of accuracy out of these guns but that's half the fun. :)

when I used to shoot 100yd benchrest we all used 52 to 55 grain bullets but we used 1:12 twist. That was before 6mm took over.

I have 1:7.7 twist. I have a bunch of berger and sierra flat based 52 to 55 gr bullet that I shoot from time to time but they really need a slower twist barrel. a 1:9 even would be better.

I really want this one for reaching out to the limits of .223. Maybe one day.

as far as the long range boatail match Mk and VLD's and such grouping better at 200 than 100. Doesn't seem feasible for a bullet to have that much yaw at 100 and stabilize out there about 200 or 300. The physics just baffles me

Now I can see that with these new high powered scopes you could actually have a more precise aiming point at these longer ranges. that would make it a lower MOA group. Say 3" group at three hundred yards is 1 MOA. With a more precise bulls eye and a high magnification scope you might do better at longer range.

+1 Rock River Arms. If I do my part, 1/2MOA at 100yds with handloaded Hornady .224 55 gr sp.

Attachments

• IMAG0329.jpg
    IMAG0329.jpg
    111.8 KB · Views: 112
  • IMAG0328.jpg
    IMAG0328.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 120
  • m4 pic B 7-2015.jpg
    m4 pic B 7-2015.jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 109
+1 Rock River Arms. If I do my part, 1/2MOA at 100yds with handloaded Hornady .224 55 gr sp.

**** good shooting. Now can you do it consistently? Accuracy is all about consistency. Just my opinion but for me to call a rifle a 1/2 MOA rifle then I expect on any given day I can take that rifle out and expect 1/2 inch groups.

That is what my test is all about. If you can shoot 5 five shot groups in a row on that same target 1/2 inch or less then you are getting there.

a ten shot group will give you an even clearer picture of what your rifle's true group size is. Don't discount those flyers. They mean something.

I played around with it a little more today with one of my other AR's no better than my first attempt to be sure. I'm going to have to invest in a Geissese trigger for at least one of my lowers to really see what the uppers can do. I was fighting the mil spec trigger pretty bad today the one on my WOA that I used today is even a little less predicable than the one I used yesterday. That putting 5 five shot groups on one sheet of paper is the a&@ kicker. In the groups I shot yesterday I had one group at .390" that in itself was not to bad but when you add all eight of my groups together and take the average I was shooting right around .75 MOA. Since we are talking extreme accuracy out of gas guns any one turning their case necks. I've been thinking about it but am trying to quantify what sort of reduction in group size it has. I understand that for the benchrest guys .01" could mean the difference in a win and makes it well worth the effort for them but what sort of reduction in group size does it make in MOA on average? Everything else being equal. As for runout what sort of group size reduction do feel you get from culling the ones over .002. I use the Redding competition seating die and don't think I have to much runout but I do not own a gauge to check runout maybe it's worth it also.

Here is a photo of a 5 shot group at 400 yards with the 75 gr HPBT Hornadys

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    4.9 KB · Views: 116
I played around with it a little more today with one of my other AR's no better than my first attempt to be sure. I'm going to have to invest in a Geissese trigger for at least one of my lowers to really see what the uppers can do. I was fighting the mil spec trigger pretty bad today the one on my WOA that I used today is even a little less predicable than the one I used yesterday. That putting 5 five shot groups on one sheet of paper is the a&@ kicker. In the groups I shot yesterday I had one group at .390" that in itself was not to bad but when you add all eight of my groups together and take the average I was shooting right around .75 MOA. Since we are talking extreme accuracy out of gas guns any one turning their case necks. I've been thinking about it but am trying to quantify what sort of reduction in group size it has. I understand that for the benchrest guys .01" could mean the difference in a win and makes it well worth the effort for them but what sort of reduction in group size does it make in MOA on average? Everything else being equal. As for runout what sort of group size reduction do feel you get from culling the ones over .002. I use the Redding competition seating die and don't think I have to much runout but I do not own a gauge to check runout maybe it's worth it also.

sounds like you are doing really well. that 400 yrd group is awesome.

you certainly do have a sub moa gun

as for neck turning. It is a pain and unless you have a gun that you are trying to get into the 1's and 2's not worth in.

Get you a case inspector. With that you can measure neck thickness and pick the brass with the most uniform neck thickness. save that for your accurate loads. neck tension is very important. that is why I would love to neck size that ar brass.

I check runout a lot. You check brand new lapua brass and it is about perfect. Check it after full length resizing and with my coax and forster match dies I am around .002 already. then after bullet seating with my forster micrometer dies it varies from .002 to .004. I use the .002's for accuracy and just shoot the others.

accurately measuring powder is my most recent step with real results. I measure powder to .02 grains and SD's drop into the single digits and vertical spread disappears.

Case prep is very important if you're if you are going for precision. I re-cut the primer pockets, neck- trim and turn the cases, and I always check for runout. It only takes a little more time and it mitigates error cased by the munitions. T'm talking < .015
I'd invest in the few tools needed to do it. But, if you're just plinking, it's not worth it.

I have been using these in different calibers for many years. They cut length, inside & outside of neck all at once. They will fit the manual and the electric like below.

joseph

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2015-07-14 at 1.42.35 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2015-07-14 at 1.42.35 PM.png
    11 KB · Views: 101
  • Screen Shot 2015-07-14 at 1.47.38 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2015-07-14 at 1.47.38 PM.png
    17.2 KB · Views: 101
I have been using these in different calibers for many years. They cut length, inside & outside of neck all at once. They will fit the manual and the electric like below.

joseph

yea

I hate trimming brass. Fact is I don't trim brass very often. rather my necks be a little long.

did it that way many years.

then I found this.

Tri%20Way%202.jpg

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.