Most Accurate AR -15

I have a Les Baer Varmint Supreme 223 that will stack 69 GR SMK's in one hole or a small cloverleaf anyday anytime. Its been a superb rifle.

I think you mean at 100 yds. and not 1,000 yds. right? :D

joseph

PS: I think my WOA 18" varmint upper with 1 in 7" twist on top of my Colt lower with a Geissele SSA-E trigger will do the same? I will find out when I find my accuracy load, but time will tell.

This group was shot with 5 shots at 100 yds. with 1/10th. grain different for each shot without a good rest.

Attachments

• 5 shots less than .5 inch .png
    5 shots less than .5 inch .png
    22.1 KB · Views: 110
Joseph,

Yes its 100 yds, But it is deadly an repeatable all the time, I shoot it out to @ 400 yds max. I have much better LR rigs for out to ultra long range also. Good luck with your load development, Im doing heavy duty LD right now for a new LR rig for attending a 4 day LR class in the Mtns near here. Then I need 120 rounds to shoot for 4 days.

Joseph,

Yes its 100 yds, But it is deadly an repeatable all the time, I shoot it out to @ 400 yds max. I have much better LR rigs for out to ultra long range also. Good luck with your load development, Im doing heavy duty LD right now for a new LR rig for attending a 4 day LR class in the Mtns near here. Then I need 120 rounds to shoot for 4 days.

Thanks and good luck with your class. I attended a 3 day class with the Army shooting team at Ft. Benning, Georgia. You really learn a lot.

joseph

Six shots at 986yds Larue Custom with 24" HBAR in .223 WYLDE. The first shot completely missed and I used it to set the next five.

Attachments

• 20140620_181601.jpg
    20140620_181601.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 121
here is a pic of my group i shot with my 22WMR its a Savage 93 I shot fiocchi 40gr JSP, its .635" center to center I shot it at 947.6m

Attachments

• DSCF3897.jpg
    DSCF3897.jpg
    134.3 KB · Views: 107
Last edited:
here is a pic of my group i shot with my 22WMR its a Savage 93 I shot fiocchi 40gr JSP, its .635" center to center I shot it at 947.6m

Or its a group I shot with my Savage 93 22WMR with a Fiocchi 40gr JSP at 50 yds that is .635" center to center, What do you guys think is more probable?

The group I shot is at 50yds and it is out of a 22WMR and it is with Fiocchi 40gr JSP, I could have said it was a 100yd group in my original post to make it more "believable" but my i had a point to make

After I bought my S.S 10-22 at Walmart I bought a box of Ely target ammo for $10 and shot this group at 50 yds. and never tried it again after this group. It had to be a fluke. I killed many squirrels with it since. :D

Attachments

• 10-22 50 yd. group .JPG
    10-22 50 yd. group .JPG
    21.8 KB · Views: 109
  • 10-22 .JPG
    10-22 .JPG
    20 KB · Views: 118
I have been working with the AR-15 platform for some time. My interest is accuracy. For all of you claiming to have AR's that will shoot 1/4" or even 1/2" groups at 100 yrds would you please take the following test. I would love to see some targets with consistent 1/2" groups. I need the encouragement.

Take this target or one like it. Shoot five five shot groups. Front rest and sandbags. No lead sleds or other clamp in type rest.

you can take a picture of your target and run it through ontarget free software for scoring and post the image.

33922.jpg

That's quiet a challenge a single sub 1/2 moa group once in a while is icing on the cake for most of us running gas guns one sub 1/4 moa 5 shot group photo worthy for sure even at 100 yards it's a challenge especially if there is any wind. To get five sub 1/2 moa groups on one sheet of paper will take some serious dedication and I bet a few more than 25 rounds to pull off. I may play around with this some I can't say I can do it but I will have a darn good time trying. How better to spend an Saturday afternoon than at the range. I do a similar drill when load developing running OCW testing but I usually run 3 shot groups to conserve components not as statically relavent but tells me enough about each charge weight to make an educated guess about where the node is when I shoot three consecutive sub moa 3 shot groups of .3 gr diffrences in charge weight between the groups and the POI doesn't shift I start getting very happy about that load. I also run the same test for seating depth changes to find the sweet spot that a given gun prefers for the jump to the lands.

Played around some with this challenge this afternoon far from perfect conditions pretty breezy and changing on me to boot but a lot of fun. This load has been one of the most consistent loads I've ever developed for the AR platform shoots sub MOA out of every gun I've tried it out of. I will play around with this some more it been fun

Load Data
55 gr Zmax
21gr IMR 3031 thrown from Redding Setting 18.7
LC brass trimmed to 1.750"
COL 2.25" mag length
CCI 400 primers

AR15
Barrel 20" DPMS bull fluted 223 rem chamber
Mil spec trigger
Scope 6-18 luepold mark AR

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 133
Last edited:
Played around some with this challenge this afternoon far from perfect conditions pretty breezy and changing on me to boot but a lot of fun. This load has been one of the most consistent loads I've ever developed for the AR platform shoots sub MOA out of every gun I've tried it out of. I will play around with this some more it been fun

Load Data
55 gr Zmax
21gr IMR 3031 thrown from Redding Setting 18.7
LC brass trimmed to 1.750"
COL 2.25" mag length
CCI 400 primers

AR15
Barrel 20" DPMS bull fluted 223 rem chamber
Mil spec trigger
Scope 6-18 luepold mark AR

yes it is quite a challenge. I have been working on it for about a year now off and on.

Constantly looking for that magic bullet, powder, load, COL combination. I have had lots of loads that excited me but either me or the wind or just the inconsistent nature of rifle shooting got me.

Even to do it a 1 MOA is quite a challenge.

When I read someone say they have a Rock River or Noveske or whatever and can shoot half or quarter inch groups all day long. I really want to see it. I know I can't. I want to know what I am missing.

anyway I am assembling a new upper with a mur upper, BMC bolt carrier group and a 26" varmatch Krieger barrel in .223 match. That barrel looks like a truck axle. I hope it will do it.

Anyway load development will be a blast. I prepped 100 rounds of new lapua brass today. Picked my powders and loads for my first load test. Have plenty of 69 and 77 match kings and 70 bergers to start with. Who knows if its a shooter or not. Time will tell.

I shoot a little tighter groups at 100 yards with the 55 gr bullets but that could just be in the head. I shoot a lot of the 75 gr HPBT Hornady match bullets CCI 400 primers around 23 gr IMR 8208 XBR have shot many sub MOA groups at 400 yards with that load but they are not as tight at 100 yards as the 55 gr vmax tend to be but the 55 gr fall apart at 400 yards with the wind kicking them around. I'm in the process of building an AR-10 in 6.5 creedmoor just got the Krieger 26" barrel with headspaced bolt from Fulton Armory the other day absolutely cann't wait to get it assembled and try it at 1000 yards after some load devepment. On this build I am seriously considering using Locktite 620 between the upper reciever and barrel extension because my fit is a little looser than any of my other builds have been most of my 223 fits have been a nice snug fit with no barrel nut installed this one has a couple thousands play I even looked on Brownells to see if the had a upper reciever lapping kit like they do for the AR15's. Crazy what we will do chasing that last little bit of accuracy out of these guns but that's half the fun. :)

I shoot a little tighter groups at 100 yards with the 55 gr bullets but that could just be in the head. I shoot a lot of the 75 gr HPBT Hornady match bullets CCI 400 primers around 23 gr IMR 8208 XBR have shot many sub MOA groups at 400 yards with that load but they are not as tight at 100 yards as the 55 gr vmax tend to be but the 55 gr fall apart at 400 yards with the wind kicking them around. I'm in the process of building an AR-10 in 6.5 creedmoor just got the Krieger 26" barrel with headspaced bolt from Fulton Armory the other day absolutely cann't wait to get it assembled and try it at 1000 yards after some load devepment. On this build I am seriously considering using Locktite 620 between the upper reciever and barrel extension because my fit is a little looser than any of my other builds have been most of my 223 fits have been a nice snug fit with no barrel nut installed this one has a couple thousands play I even looked on Brownells to see if the had a upper reciever lapping kit like they do for the AR15's. Crazy what we will do chasing that last little bit of accuracy out of these guns but that's half the fun. :)

When I was shooting High Power it was proven to me that my 80 grain SMKs would not stabilize until 200 yds. The shorter 69 grain bullets would shoot better at 100 yds., but the 80 grainers would actually group smaller at 200 yds. then at 100 yds. This is probably what is happening with you.

joseph

wish I had gotten the headspaced bolt. Ok my new Krieger varmatch 26" .223 match has failed the go gauge test. I have tried 3 different bolts and no love.
I know you match the bolt to the barrel but I don't have a bin full of them
any recommendations?
Or it goes back tomorrow and I send the upper to Krieger let them do the whole thing. Would have done that to start with but I won't have it for a year if Krieger does it.

yep we do some pretty nutty things chasing that last little bit of accuracy. yesterday I spent the whole day loading and brass prep for my new AR that I am sending back tomorrow.

I do crazy stuff.

I like the inside of my cases clean. I use ultrasonic, dry them in my gas oven overnight and then put them in a clean tumbler to polish the brass back up.

I weigh my powder charges to 0.02gr. Really helped actually. my vertical is gone and my SD's are in the low single digits

used to weigh cases but it is just too hard to keep the separated. Now I just throw away heavy and light ones. Only use Lapua brass so there isn't much culling.

I use a forster coax and all forster match dies so my runout is not really bad to start with. but when I want to shoot really accurately I check my runout on finished rounds and cull all those with more than 0.002 on my forster case inspector.

and I do lap the receiver face. Fact is that is how I time my barrel nut torque and gas tube. This last one barrel nut had a half hole. Split it perfect. Lapped twice and had perfect alignment with 40# of barrel nut torque. Too bad it was for nothing

I am bummed

But there is a bright spot. I do have one of Roberts 6mmAR turbo 40's on order. Maybe that will get the 5 five shot groups.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.