Mosquito Help Needed

That's interesting. I've been in a mostly carnivore diet, mostly meat. I wonder how much affect that will have on my B12 levels and how the mosquitos might react. Red meat is a high source of B12, along with liver and the sort.
I'd imagine you'd have to take enough supplements take make your skin have an oder. I don't know about eating the meat. I know mosqylike my meat if they are around. They are small here. Much bigger in Ca. and states I've been to. I hate the smell of B12. Liver has a lot of vitamin D in it. I didn't know about B12 but good to know. B6 is good for you also but don't know about it with mosquitoes.
I was going to buy a Thermacell about year and a half ago for bow hunting. I worked part time at a sporting good store. Would of had 20% off 😉 I never did.

Get some of this (found on Amazon) as a backup to anything else:
61TcxT8YucL._AC_SL1000_.jpg

I am not a fan of spray repellents due to the scent issues associated with them. We use the Browning Ghillie suit over our regular camo clothing, a head net with a boonie hat to hold the net away from your face and ears, and camo gloves. We hunt Maine, I only use ground blinds and the mosquitoes will carry you off if given the opportunity!!! The Ghillie suit can be purchased through Bass Pro like $50 as well the camo gloves. The Thermocell works very well, but…we're back to the scent issues. No matter what anyone will say, a bear's scent is 2000 times greater then a human's. The Ghillie suit is made of fine mesh and is not hot to wear as we sometimes hunt in 80-90 weather. I've been using this suit for at least 7-8 years now and it is in the same condition as when it was purchased

Last edited:
Back in south Louisiana growing up, my parents would tell stories before there was central/air heat you would suffocate w/o the windows open so they would come into the kids bedrooms with a hand sprayer and spray 100% deet spray all over the bedroom so you could sleep at night.
I know. I grew up there in that era. We also rode our bicycles behind the mosquito fog truck that would come through.

I am not a fan of spray repellents due to the scent issues assisted with them. We use a Browning Ghillie suit over our regular camo clothing, a headset with a boonie hat to hold the net away from your face and ears, and camo gloves. We hunt Maine, I only use ground blinds and the mosquitoes will carry you off if given the opportunity!!! The Ghillie suit can be purchased through Bass Pro like $50 as well the camo gloves. The Thermocell works very well, but…we're back to the scent issues. No matter what anyone will say, a bear's scent is 2000 times greater then a human's. The Ghillie suit is made of fine mesh and is not hot to wear as we sometimes hunt in 80-90 weather. I've been using this suit for at least 7-8 years now and it is in the same condition as when it was purchased
That's true, but I have had many bears walk within 20yds of me while I was using the ThermaCell. Most black bear outfitters recommend them.
FWIW - a black bear can probably smell a hunter from 1/2 mile away (maybe more) but they still get lured in by a barrel full of sweets, meats, fish, etc.

I've never heard of Thermacell but have experienced clouds of mosquitoes up north that were so thick they can't be imagined until experienced. Couldn't look up without getting them in your eyes -- couldn't breathe without getting them up your nose and literally so many that they block light -- and enough to actually create panic! That was years ago and the only thing that helped was wind!

Hunting Fl marshes, GA swamps and the SC low country, they are most always a factor. Marsh skeeters, salt water skeeters, tiger skeeters, yella nappers..etc.. Down here hunting is pretty much divided into two eras, before thermacell and after thermacell. The inventor deserves a serious reward.

Head net, elastic bands for wrists and ankles, and a pair of thin gloves. Hunting from a ground blind and wanting to keep scent down.
Back in the '50s there wasn't Thermocell.
The Ghillie suit that I wrote in my reply has both; ankles and wrists. I believe the cami gloves to be as necessary as the head net and the Ghillie suit as well. There are three of us in our group, we all carry an extra head net and several extra pairs of gloves. Would not even consider going out without either of these two pieces of clothing.

Recent Posts