Mosin

Gozlin43

I am trying to sight in a Mosin. I have the Archangel stock with a Timney trigger and a Sightmark scope installed. It also has a muzzle break and bipod installed. I have boresighted this firearm with two different devices. I can't seem to get this thing on paper, to even begin to make corrections. I have tried from 20 yards to 50 yards. I will be attempting at 10 yards next, just so I have a starting point. Neither myself or my friend have had any luck. Like I said, starting at 10 yards today. Any suggestions??

Take the bolt out and set the rifle up on the bench at 25 yards. Look through the bore and center on your target. Adjust the scope to the target. That should get you on paper. That is if your scope is not broken. Use a BIG piece of cardboard or a 4x8 sheet of plywood if that don't work. :D

Take the bolt out and set the rifle up on the bench at 25 yards. Look through the bore and center on your target. Adjust the scope to the target. That should get you on paper. That is if your scope is not broken. Use a BIG piece of cardboard or a 4x8 sheet of plywood if that don't work. :D
RT,

I did that today and the outcome could be worse. The rifle is fine, the scope is not. I contacted Sightmark, and they have already responded with a return form. Thanks for your help.

I have fooled with a bunch of Mosin's. I have found that you need to slug their bores to see what size bullet you need. They very greatly in size. .310 to .311 usually shoots best with .311 bullets. .311 to .312 needs .312 bullets. Over .312 will not shoot accurately with either jacketed bullet. They like 174/80 gr bullets best for me with 50 grs Accurate 4350. Good luck and have fun.
P.S. A lot of the load data you will find from the bullet makers was worked up with .308 bullets which I have never seen any rifle in 7.62x54R caliber ever shoot accurately.

Have any pictures of your Mosin build? mine will shoot 148 grain wolf ammo pretty good.

Attachments

• 100_3221.jpg
    100_3221.jpg
    193.7 KB · Views: 59
Good looking build. If done properly they can be pretty accurate rifles. Mine shoots reliably 5/8" @ 100 yards and on several days I can get .3 - .4" groups. Here's a pic of mine.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    153 KB · Views: 56
Very nice. I see you had your barrel worked on. Sightmark is repairing my scope. the group I did get when I got to shoot it was quite accurate.

Very nice. I see you had your barrel worked on. Sightmark is repairing my scope. the group I did get when I got to shoot it was quite accurate.

It's the original barrel. I cut it at 25.5" and threaded it for a brake. Coated the whole action and barrel with alumahyde 2.

Post up some groups when you get your scope back and sighted in. There's usually a sweet spot with IMR4350 between 50-52 grains under a .311" 174 grain Matchking. Mine personally likes 50.2 grains. This load shoots well in dozens of Mosins that I've seen.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts