Morrell Bone Collector 400 FPS Target Review

Len Backus

Administrator
Staff member
Review of the Morrell Bone Collector 400 FPS target -- read my review article right HERE - Morrell Bone Collector 400 FPS Target Review

For a high velocity compound or crossbow you need a really good target. This one stops everything and allows 3 finger removal.

Read my REVIEW article above.

pse-tac-15-15i-10-10i-crossbow-review-005.jpg

At a nearby County range I shoot at targets like these with field points. A 450+grain arrow leaving at about 300 fps requires two hands and leaning a shoulder into the target in order to remove it.

G-3512.jpg

I have a Bone Collector Broad head target and have used it only once to zero my pins. It does a good job of stopping the broadheads and they come out easy enough. Because it is small it is kind of tricky to make the target stay still while pulling out the arrows.

morrell-bone-broadhead-tgt.jpg

I shot two types of mechanicals (testing them out for flight characteristics) at the Bone Collector. One was the NAP Spitfire which is a friction retention system and a Wasp Jackhammer which is a rubber band retention system. Both of them stayed closed about 50% of the time. I would assume on a animal they must open more reliably or people would not use them but aerodynamically they were not superior to the the old fashioned NAP fixed blade or else they needed a different tune on the bow.

50% of the time they did not open in the target?

I have never shot any kind og broadhead into today's targets. How hard is it to get them out. I can't imagine how it is to remove one of the larger opening expandables.

They are easy to get out except you need two hands to hold the cube steady while you pull on the arrow with one hand. :D Genetic mutation is helpful.

You can put a leg up against one edge while holding the other edge with one hand and use the last hand to pull out he arrow. Remember that the blades are sharp so move your leg out of the way before you cut it. They really bury up deep even at 60-80 yards so you have to pull a long way.

I think the foam is too soft compared to a deer hide with hair to activate them to open. But it does make you worry.

I suppose you could fasten some deer hide over the target for a test?

Here's a different but related question. I have heard of expandables opening in flight under the high G Forces of a 400 fps crossbow. How on earth would you even know that it happened?

Supposedly, those that use o-rings can be "fixed' by simply attaching a 2nd o-ring.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.