Morning double

laker

Got out for a few stands this morning. First stand I blew it for myself. Had been on stand for 20 minutes and decided to move on to my next spot. Just get up and start heading back towards the pickup just as a coyote pops over the hill at 400. He quickly turned tail and ran. Second stand was a dud. Third stand I was sitting up on a gumbo knob tucked into a cedar tree. Let out a howl and got a pair to answer me not 500 yards away. Sat there a couple minutes and then gave a little pup whimper. Both coyotes came up out of the draw and trotted to within about 250 yards. Got to sit there and watch them nip and chase each other for a minute or two as they wandered around out there trying to figure out where the sound came from. Gave a couple lips squeaks and they started coming. The bigger of the two stopped about 100 yards out but the smaller coyote kept coming. I usually like to shoot the smaller coyote first on a double as this time of the year that's usually the female. Then the bigger coyote which is usually the male will sometimes hesitate on running so hard out of the area. Got the little coyote stopped about 75 yards out and dumped it. Swung on the bigger coyote and it made the mistake of running dead away. Sitting up above them all I had to do was put it on its nose and squeeze the trigger and watch it roll. Turns out the bigger coyote was the female and the little one was the male.
67722378-4734-4B05-BC27-5B332E173D02.jpeg

Good job ! I see he also has some of his tail missing a slight amount of breakage on the hips not bad though for this time of the year .

I have noticed that during years when we get a lot of snow , warm days then cold nights they break more and earlier . That new picture is one messed up coyote for fur LOL .

epoletna , breakage is where the long guard fur gets broken off so you have some of the shorter under fur showing . I have noticed that when we have more snow it starts earlier and get worse because they set on the snow and some of the longer fur freezes to the snow so that when they stand up it breaks it off about half the length of the shaft of the fur . You will also hear a term called sing-ing of the fur more often with more snow cover as the sun reflecting off of the snow will cause the long guard fur to curl on the ends and look as if it has been singed with fire then becomes brittle and breaks off mostly on the soft bellies .

His first two coyote do look good but if you take them to the buyer he will look at the hips and bellies and explain to you what he sees so you too can tell what you have to sell so that next time you can understand better what price he is offering you and why . All coyote have a story to tell you about what their stage in life is the same as people do with the changes our bodies go through as we age year by year and day by day season to season . Looking at several hundred coyote over the years wanting to learn what I'm looking at lets me see somethings at a glance that the average person won't see till they too have seen not just looked at several coyote . Doing control work and needing to read what each coyote had to tell me , does this coyote have pups has this coyote been well fed , does this coyote have a broken leg or toes missing torn ears ect. all help me to understand them better and thus do better at control work .

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.