More Uniform neck tension?

ralphjunius

In an effort to get more uniform neck tension, I am considering putting fired brass thru an ultrasonic cleaner. Right now I run a brush thru a fired round, apply dry graphite to the neck, resize, then run a brush thru the neck again. Does it make any sense putting the brass in an ultrasonic cleaner to get more uniform neck tension? Or is it overkill?

In an effort to get more uniform neck tension, I am considering putting fired brass thru an ultrasonic cleaner. Right now I run a brush thru a fired round, apply dry graphite to the neck, resize, then run a brush thru the neck again. Does it make any sense putting the brass in an ultrasonic cleaner to get more uniform neck tension? Or is it overkill?
How do you know you're not getting uniform neck tension?

IME using a ultrasonic cleaner leads to worse SD's due to stripping all the carbon from necks. I don't think it's going to do anything better or worse when it comes to neck tension.

I have had the best luck keeping consistent neck tension from annealing every firing and using a mandrel. No expander balls, then a mandrel after sizing. Sure it's another pass thru the press but the results across the chrono make me think it's worth it.

Funny that you should ask.

Just recently I noticed that cases that I put through the SS pin tumbler have more consistent seating. I can tell by the amount of pressure needed to seat each bullet. I only tumble cases for 20-30 minutes so there is always residual carbon in the necks. Once dry, I just touch up the case mouths with a chamfer tool.

1. Anneal - don't under anneal
2. Use a stiff nylon brush (take one out of ur prep station) and put it in your cordless. Run thru necks on hi for 3 seconds to burnish the carbon.
3. Size with lube outside only ( if using ball inside remove it)
4. Chamfer
5. Put piece of 0000 steel wool in 5/8" socket and chuck up in your cordless. Burnish end of chamfered case for couple seconds.
6. Load.

Try .001-.0035 neck tensions for best on target / sd's

On new brass or bass carbon has been removed from inside neck: Spray liquid qraphite into a cap and dip neck in it to shoulder junction - set neck down in tray to dry. (Spray inside a gal ziplock its messy)

annel every firing and use a mandrel

I use an ultrasonic cleaner, then walnut media. I want to remove the carbon because if I don't there is no way of making sure that there is the same amount of carbon on the necks every time. I then FL size and then run a mandrel in the lubed neck. Then another quick cleaning to remove all the lube. This way I know they are all the same.

Attachments

• abpressrh-fp50-di50-1_-_533x800.jpg
    abpressrh-fp50-di50-1_-_533x800.jpg
    7.4 KB · Views: 33
I bought the Anneal-Rite equipment some time ago but got cold feet and haven't used it. Anybody have experience using it?

The mandrels I am familiar with are 0.001 over sized for neck turning. Use these anyway? Or where do I buy undersized mandrels?
it works ok but there are better ones out there