More PA insanity....

I've shot a number of big black bears. Most were only half the size of your friend's bear AND I was always up in a tree. I hunted from a ground blind once and had a sow with cubs walk in. The sow knew someone was in the ground blind and came much too close. I was very concerned about an imminent attack but didn't shoot. I gave up on ground blinds after that.

However, I had a BIG sow, accompanied by cubs, climb my ladder stand in the dark but that's another story.
Have you ever seen or heard of an actual black bear attack on a human who is not considered a threat by the mother? I have had probably close 100 encounters with black bears, living for the most part of 30 years in an area where they do too. I've had them get pesky and do a bluff charge a few times which is very scary, but I scared them off (no firearms involved). I had one grunting, invisible in the foliage at me when their cubs were on the other side of me, and that was scary as hell too. I evacuated the area at that point. They've broken into my cars and house but I don't know of anyone who has actually been attacked by one. Of course I know to stay away or be looking for the sow if I see cubs, so that's one way not to get attacked. Otherwise I just scare them off.
I will say, that in 1971 a female friend of mine was sleeping outdoors in Yosemite National Park, and was menstruating, and a bear came along, sniffed at her, then picked her up by the arm and started to drag her away. She screamed, others woke up and yelled and the bear dropped her and ran off. So I'm always interested in hearing if anyone has witnessed an attack or know first hand of one.

My son, the one holding the turkey to the left, shot a 532 lb black bear at 6yds with a 454 Casual revolver on the ground. Hunting in NC about 10 years ago with dogs, the dogs bayed this mean ole bear on the ground, he killed one dog, mauled several more, and lots of staples were put in after the hunt. Anyway, a dog tried to jump over my son who was on his hands and knees with his buddy who grabbed the dog and that got the bear's attention who was sitting on his rear end, the bear looked at my son, and he nailed the bear right in the forehead, lights out for the bear.
Wow, I bet that was a few moments of excitement!
A guy in my neighborhood killed a smaller one in his house with a 9mm pistol as it was running out. Just depends on how big they are and where you hit them. No, I wouldn't like to be up against an angry 500 pounder with a 9mm, but anything 270 power and above and they'll go down like a human would. They're not that tough, just big.
(Side note- Neighbors got ****ed and harassed the guy because he left it by the side of the road and that ended up in the mother defending the carcass against coyotes who showed up, and kids were playing in the immediate vicinity. Coyotes, bears, people, oh my!)

Everything seems to be benefitting from great habitat these days..a few pics of black bears in the 700lb plus range, steelhead in Elk Creek and a few new elk photos in all the autumn coors, enjoy....

Great photos from an epic season, one I'm sure you and your family will remember forever. You are quite fortunate to live in such a verdant area and you were on it. Congratulations!

PS- Do you eat the bear meat? I have never tried it.

Wow, I bet that was a few moments of excitement!
A guy in my neighborhood killed a smaller one in his house with a 9mm pistol as it was running out. Just depends on how big they are and where you hit them. No, I wouldn't like to be up against an angry 500 pounder with a 9mm, but anything 270 power and above and they'll go down like a human would. They're not that tough, just big.
(Side note- Neighbors got ****ed and harassed the guy because he left it by the side of the road and that ended up in the mother defending the carcass against coyotes who showed up, and kids were playing in the immediate vicinity. Coyotes, bears, people, oh my!)
Great photos from an epic season, one I'm sure you and your family will remember forever. You are quite fortunate to live in such a verdant area and you were on it. Congratulations!

PS- Do you eat the bear meat? I have never tried it.
My son and his buddies eat the bear meat, they divide it up until everyone's freezers are full and if they get more then they donate that to local shelters that will accept the meat if it's processed at a butcher's location, even though all those guys are pretty darn good with a blade.

Have you ever seen or heard of an actual black bear attack on a human who is not considered a threat by the mother? I have had probably close 100 encounters with black bears, living for the most part of 30 years in an area where they do too. I've had them get pesky and do a bluff charge a few times which is very scary, but I scared them off (no firearms involved). I had one grunting, invisible in the foliage at me when their cubs were on the other side of me, and that was scary as hell too. I evacuated the area at that point. They've broken into my cars and house but I don't know of anyone who has actually been attacked by one. Of course I know to stay away or be looking for the sow if I see cubs, so that's one way not to get attacked. Otherwise I just scare them off.
I will say, that in 1971 a female friend of mine was sleeping outdoors in Yosemite National Park, and was menstruating, and a bear came along, sniffed at her, then picked her up by the arm and started to drag her away. She screamed, others woke up and yelled and the bear dropped her and ran off. So I'm always interested in hearing if anyone has witnessed an attack or know first hand of one.

Everything seems to be benefitting from great habitat these days..a few pics of black bears in the 700lb plus range, steelhead in Elk Creek View attachment 402944View attachment 402945and a few new elk photos in all the autumn colors, enjoy....View attachment 402946View attachment 402947View attachment 402949View attachment 402950View attachment 402952
Now its obvious the elk were transplanted from somewhere to start the PA herd. Do you know where those original elk came from? Just curious. The elk your seeing and posting on do not look like the typical mature bull elk running around in the wild in the Rockies. That said, like the bears, they have w much easier life with better food likely in PA then in the rocky mountains which makes a dramatic difference for sure. Just curious where the original elk were transplanted from.

Boy,I,ll tell ya..... What a Wonderful job done by the PA....DNR......
NOW......
DO NOT LET THEM PLANT WOLVES..... LIKE THEY DID IN WISCONSIN..........
first they planted wolves...... after they ate 80% of the whitetail.....
they planted elk about 10 miles from where they planted the wolves.....
close to my place in Black River Falls.....
Guess what the wolves eat now...???
Hunted up there since 1962 when we had a wonderful deer population....
Have witnessed first hand what wolves can do......