More matchking info

Dave King

I've recently been out shooting crop damage deer with GroceryMan. 308 Win and 168 MatchKing in Federal Gold Medal ammo. Add about 80 more deer to the list of believers, MatchKings are very hard on deer. No autopsies performed and none were actually needed, all deer were very dead.

Dave it sounds like the Matchkings are working very good for you. What kind of ranges are you shutting the deer?

Dave
Sooner or later people will believe in the Sierra MK on deer and elk.

I Have used them with success for over 25 years now. It has been documented so far, from 100 yards to 2890 yards, they work well.
My friends got an elk at 2890 yards, my longest was 2100 yards with 338 300 gr Match Kings.

I really can't think of a better Longrange bullet? Accuracy and high BC is the name of the game.

Nice going.

Later
DC

[ 07-03-2002: Message edited by: Darryl Cassel ]

All

It's a rush sort of shoot, fella has about 700 deer in his fields each evening and they're destroying everything. The surrounding wooded area(s) have an obvious browse line at about the 5 ft level.

We shoot out to 600 yards but that's on rare occasions, most shots are 200 to 250 yards. The deer are smallish, even more so than the general geographic population in most cases.

The shots are mostly for lungs but shoulders are targeted also, most rounds exit the deer and leave substantial exit wounds. I should try to due better terminal ballistic studies and wound documentation but it's a rush process and the fella wants the herd thinned soon. There's little time to examine the wounds and bodies, we shoot, load the bodies and deliver them to the appointed drop-off site.

Unless something goes terribly wrong, all deer are killed with a single hit, there have been two doubles killed during the culling and the second deer in line also died very quickly.

Thank you for sharing your experiences I will be using the MK on my next big game hunt keep up the shutting.
Crow Mag

hey dave take a couple pics of that field with600+deer in it..and send them to me..
if you dont have a scanner just mail me
a couple of prints..id love to have that..
ill pay for it if you want.. just let me
know..
wink.gif

Speed Demon

I'll take the digital camera next trip up. I just got a call from the coordinated for this place and were scheduled for another shoot within a week.

There are many fields (several thousand acres total) and the deer are spread out in several fields so there'll be no picture of 700 deer in one field.
smile.gif
The deer congregate in the fields that are new alfalfa growth (after a cutting), corn when it's first coming up and later when the ears are with silk (too tall then to do anything other than "deer fishing"). They'll be in the soybeans nearly the entire growth cycle and will head to the woods for the dropping of acorns.

It's not at all like hunting, we shoot all deer that are antlerless. We shoot whenever the deer are in a good access spot. Several dont's are: don't kill deer in the middle of the soybeans as they'll need to be carried out so as not to damage the beans, kill deer with a head shot or double shoulder if they're near a large stream as they'll probably try to cross and you'll end up chasing the carcass down stream, don't leave the shooting hide until all deer are dead or down, many deer will stay in the field even with the deer falling and all the gunshots as long as they don't see a shooter. Deer are matriarchal, shoot the lead doe (drop in her tracks) and the others won't leave for a while, they need to elect a leader, kill the remained during this election process.

Several more standard rule:
Avoid letting anyone other than your shooter group see you shooting the deer. Bystanders will without a doubt want to have a conversation about hunting and their techniques and you'll end up talking for hours and you won't kill many deer.

Don't take an avid "hunter" unless you know him/her very well. Culling IS NOT hunting, it's much different and it causes some hunters very real mental anquish.

ok thanks snap a couple of pics for me..
you should shoot one with your .338umag with 300 grain,250 sierra bullets to see how much damage they do!!
smile.gif
also when you take those shots taken them at highest resolutions..
uncompressed if your d.c allows it or if you
have a slow internet connection that might
not be a good idea to use a uncompressed tiff.. you would just have to use hi-res jpeg instead.. it will make much smaller
file.. i dont want them resized just leave
them as they are.. as i plan to make a print
or 2 to put in a frame.. ill set up a ftp
server or ill do something.. as my email
account is just 5 megs if its over that it
will reject your mail and send it back to u.
thanks i didnt mean to sound hateful but
i just wanted make sure it didnt cause
you any extra problems i tried to cover most
problem area's..but you probly already knew
that anyway.. i just wanted to make sure..

[ 07-06-2002: Message edited by: speed demon ]

Warning! This thread is more than 22 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts