More Hogs from the Oats

Double Naught Spy

video [ame]https://youtu.be/MyHE_kg3h98[/ame]

A rain storm on the ranch wet everything down, lessening the utility of thermal while making it harder to walk and haul carcasses. Eventually, it turned out to be a good night.

Did well on the sounder, but had a little trouble on the loan boar. My opening shot went through the hump. My partner appears to have it it low, but I eventually drilled it on the run and we found it down in the bottoms.

The landowner is pleased. gun)

That was a bacon stampede there at the end! You've definitely got a honey hole!

In some aspects, my opinion of you is getting lower and lower. Constantly showing off your toys and the hogs, while I sit here twiddling my thumbs waiting on the pigs to come back. I'm not sure whether to like you or hate you.

What thermal unit are you using? I've got a few ATN units. I like them, I just don't get to use them as often as I'd like.

Thank guys!

scrmblr, you talk like my ex-wife. Her opinion of me got lower and lower as well.:D

My scope is an Armasight Zeus 3, 3x native magnification, 640x512 resolution with 75mm lens. My partner is hunting with an LWTS 640 resolution with 50 mm lens 1x scope in front of some typical variable zoom daylight optic (maybe a Leupold?).

The big difference between the ATNs and the Armasight is the NUC process (screen refresh). On the ATN, the process is manual and you have to cover the lens before starting the process. On the Armasight, it is automatic and moves a cover over the sensor itself for the NUC process, or semi-auto where the user can induce NUCing if deemed necessary. The LWTS works like the Armasight.

You have an ex-wife that hates you? I've got one of those as well, so I guess you can't be too bad of a guy. I traded my 74' in for an 81' after the 74' decided marriage wasn't for her. Now she's someone else's problem.

So far, I'm pleased with the ATN units. I've been using the clip on with my Armalite AR10. I can move it between different rifles, which comes in handy.

I've got all the gear, I just need time, which is something I can't seem to find.

We went back on Friday with the landowner's son and grandson in hopes of getting on some hogs. For 3 hours, nothing. On the way out, spotted a group of piglets that I assumed were motherless after Monday. The grandson (aged 13) had the honor of the first shot. We got set up and the little guy had the shakes. He was quite excited. Turn up the volume (no loud sounds on this video) to hear what goes wrong. I think he snapped off his safety with too much gusto.

[ame]https://youtu.be/29beLZXIkUk[/ame]

And that was the end of that hunt. Went back last night and nearly immediately spotted a lone boar. He came in and out of the tree line. He stayed out longer during my second approach and the stalk was successful.

https://youtu.be/oSHkM25-bqU

....I am sure the "one that takes off safety" understands that those little ones will grow up pretty fast! Another nice video showing the hogs and their proliferation up in your part of Texas!

Good of you to introduce a young man into hunting. I wish my son was into the outdoors, but he would rather play X-Box than go for a walk in the woods with a rifle looking for hogs. I find it sad how many young men that have no interest in the outdoors.

My plan is to introduce my 4 month old daughter to the woods at an early age, so I'll have a hunting buddy for life. She will know how to shoot a gun, put a worm on a hook, and take a fish off a hook.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.