More elk tags for non-resident hunters???

dok7mm

I read today that Wyoming F&G is considering increasing the number of elk tags available to non-resident hunters. Wyoming outfitters are strongly supporting this (of course). It has to go thru the song & dance public meetings before they vote to approve it, so I would guess the 2019 season would be the earliest it could happen.

Helped a friend on a muley hunt in the toughest unit to draw in Az. Most of the vehicle license plates were out of state. Game and Fish gets a lot more money for out of state tags. State law designates the percentage of tags going to out of state, but I think G&F fudges a bit.

It won't happen because residents won't go for it. Wyoming already gives out 7,250 bull tags a year to NRs besides a ton of cow tags. The outfitters would also like to see set aside licenses for themselves so their clients wouldn't have to go into the draw, while others would like to see landowner tags that can be sold and IMHO neither of those possibilities will happen any time soon either.

ID gives out 12,800 NR elk tag a year and WY probably has more elk then we do with less residents. 7250 doesn't seem like a lot. I bet the Fish and Game wants the revenue.

ID gives out 12,800 NR elk tag a year and WY probably has more elk then we do with less residents. 7250 doesn't seem like a lot. I bet the Fish and Game wants the revenue.

First off, the G&F isn't proposing anything. They are just having discussions since nothing has changed in the way elk tags are distributed for decades. 7250 total bull tags along with the ton of cow tags that are issued to NRs every year is very generous considering that a large amount of land in the state has no elk. It's a big state, but a lot of it is open country that is suitable for antelope and small critters, but not elk.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.