More boring brass questions this time 6.5x06

rlipson

As a follow up to one of my previous posts about creating 6.5x06 bass and about brands of brass: It seems that most people favor necking up 25.06 brass to form 6.5x06 brass. Additionally, most people really like Lapua brass.
My question is, since the only Lapua brass that would work is 30.06, would it be better to use cheaper bulk 25.06 brass, and work the necks less, or buy the better 30.06 brass and work it down to 6.5x06 in two steps, with say a .270 neck die with the expander removed and then the 6.5 die. PHEW sorry for that long winded sentence!

Why not just use good 270 Win brass by Norma (I don't know if Lapua makes 270 brass) and neck down to 6.5. It just takes a little more trimming. Also 270 brass is supposed to be built to higher pressure ratings.

Good point Dan. My post below about Norma vs. Lapua indicated that most people prefer the Lapua, and the Norma is 77 cents each! So, I was thinking that the 30-06 Lapua brass at 45 cents each might be the way to go...

Roger

Warning! This thread is more than 23 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.